Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa
Taking this rifle to South Africa later in the summer. Have always thought of this as a boring rifle as it was flat black when I purchased It. Saw this pattern one day on the web and with a little research found the company.
LongRifles inc in South Dakota was very good to work with-constant communication, well packaged return shipment and high quality work. To be fair all I had done was getting the stock painted-they offer many other Gunsmithing type functions.
So clearly I like it-how do you all feel about it?
The pattern is “ripzilla” and I picked the colors-there were lots to choose from.
The one change I might do is to add black webbing paint over the pattern. . .
84D26F4E-49B2-45EC-8F62-82510AE70351.jpeg
39047D8D-8435-4BE9-8A5B-6C828E1AD882.jpeg

I was wrong-I also had a new recoil pad put on it as the original one was hard, cracked rubber.
.375 wby Sako AV and I am taking 300 gr trophy bonded bear claw hand loaded ammo for hunting eland.
I did not immediately love this rifle but with Norma powders and brass and some time at the reloading bench, it has become a valued partner. It will shoot the 300 tbbc or A frame in the same group as 300gr solid woodleighs.
Then with talley quick release rings I can change to the other leupold scope and it shoots 235 Barnes tsx extremely well.
looking forward to letting it earn its keep in July!

Last edited:
Sweet, like it. (y)

Really like it. I am a camo nut. Cloths, boots, boats, memory room curtains and yes every gun that leaves safe for hunting is rattle can painted. I paint my own guns, use trees, leaves and grass as "stencils". My SA hunt report has lots of animal pics with camo guns visible. Cant wait to read your report and see your gun on display.

MB

I love well done camo and I also love classic walnut. However I don't know if there is a need for camo on big game rifles (due to the differences between human eye sight and most animals) . A more important question is of a practical and legal nature. In several African countries camo clothing is illegal (or at least puts you in a vulnerable position with local officials. I've never had an answer as to how such countries treat a camo rifle. Having your rifle confiscated and or you being thrown in a cell could ruin your whole safari.

Also note that in some areas an unknown person in camo is either a mercenary, an insurgent or a poacher and likely to be shot on sight.

I too am a fan of wood. However that looks freaking awesome - well played sir. And as far as what the animals do or don't see, that's not really it, is it? If you're like me you plan on being successful and the gun needs to look sharp for the success photos. ;) You now have that covered.

I love traditional blued steel & walnut rifles but i have a number of Kevlar& glass painted stocks with Cerakote metal work, funny that these seem to be used most often if you ding them its easy to fix & the stocks are much more stable, i think yours looks good they are more practical in the bush. In my opinion black webbing paint over that cammo would ruin it. You did ask what our opinion was?.

Last edited:
I too love fine wood on a rifle, but I have my "true" hunting rifles, a .270 Win., .338 Win Mag & a .375 H&H all stocked in camo patterns! I really like that one! I wouldn't touch it! You can't "fix" it if you mess that up!

I would love to have restocked this rifle with a wonderful walnut stock. Someday will have accurate innovations do that for me-on this rifle or another one. But for now, this is all I will do.
camo not an issue where I am going but will certainly follow best practices and clear it with my ph before i head that direction.

Zim use to be very strict on Military pattern camouflage clothing. The law has not changed, but things are pretty relaxed at the moment. I just did a major stock repair on a campfire rifle (5 pieces) the only thing that made sense was to spray paint. I think it looks o.k.

@Firebird

Is this where you had this done? I didn't really see any marketing of painted stocks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 3.03.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 3.03.50 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 46
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 3.03.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 3.03.51 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 45
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 3.03.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 3.03.54 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 46
'Careful where you set it down! It may just attract Vipers and Pythons!!

Correct website-click on the “menu” in top left corner, then click on “Gunsmithing services” and it is on page 2.
D5B6486E-F3B3-4F12-A35D-695071315AE0.png

Looks good. LRI is a great company to deal with. I’ve had them work on a number of rifles and the work is always first rate. And, I’ve never seen a gunsmith communicate with clients as well as LRI.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KimProbst1

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.