Original Jeffery .404J/Federal Hydro Shocks no go!

Tokoloshe Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2017
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.tokoloshesafaris.info
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Member of
Life Member Safari International, Life Members Dallas Safari Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, South Africa, Tanzania
We start a new hunt in a couple of days and I decided to take my original .404 Jeffery. Our visiting hunter and my wife who will be PH on the hunt will both be using .404J on 550 CZs. For ammunition they will be using Hornady solids. Since we are low on ammunition I decided to use some Federal Hydro shocks. When I went to load my rifle (we cycle every round before a hunt) low and behold Federal HydroShocks OAL is to long to fit in the action. They work fine in any of the other .404j's that I have, but not the original! Hornadys and Swifts again just fine.

A suggestion like that could only come from RSA, just kidding. No, we will use them in one of the other rifles. It just came as a big surprise to me. Anyway that is why you cycle every round that will be going thru the rifle before you start your hunt!

True. Can only imagine if you were in the sticks and had to find out the hard way.

Does it make any difference which end you take the hand grinder to bring into specs?

You might try seating the bullet a little deeper before the grinder option.

Nice thought, but this is factory ammo, no reloading equipment here. They will just get used in a different rifle. Ammo here is about $60.00 per round. We love one shot kills!

It isn't lost on me how good I have it to be able to walk to the back room and assemble any ammo I have the dies/components for. I would have to get my calculator out to figure how many .404J rounds I could load for $60 US.
Good luck on your upcoming hunt Lon!

It isn't lost on me how good I have it to be able to walk to the back room and assemble any ammo I have the dies/components for. I would have to get my calculator out to figure how many .404J rounds I could load for $60 US.
Good luck on your upcoming hunt Lon!

With a fair wind - I think mine cost me about $4.00 a bang using Norma brass, peregrine VRG1 & 3 s and RL 15 or varget (hydros are a smidgeon more)

Worth thinking of bringing a few more in if your host shoots the same ammo and ''having a hole in your pocket'' on your return

Last edited:
Lon,

Is your Jeffery an early model built on a sportier or military action before Jeffery got access to the magnum actions around 1912?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LauriMolon

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!