Bronze supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa, USA (Alaska, Kansas, Maryland)
Disclaimer: this is an after the fact question, as in: I already bought the scope. Frankly, I've always thought it a bit silly to ask about something after you've made the decision, but be that as it may... :rolleyes: ;):p

I am looking for opinions on the Illuminated Ballistic E3 reticle found on Burris scopes.

Have any of you used it?
What did you like?
What did you not like?

This is my first venture into the realm of illuminated scopes. The price was right so I decided to give it a whirl.

Thanks in advance.

Ballistic-E3-Reticle-1.jpg

@Ontario Hunter ... Do you have it or have you had it? If so, your thoughts? I am hoping to hear from folks who have experience. Again, after the fact - mine is on the way. But I'm curious to know what people think.

@Ontario Hunter ... Do you have it or have you had it? If so, your thoughts? I am hoping to hear from folks who have experience. Again, after the fact - mine is on the way. But I'm curious to know what people think.
No. But I am also looking into a Burris scope with that reticle. Thought I'd give the folks a look at it. Okay?

I don't have that scope, but it reminds me a whole lot of the Leupold Boone & Crocket reticle (not illuminated). I found it to be too busy and not useful for anything other than varmint hunting.

But as far as illuminated reticles go, after using one (Zeiss Conquest V6 1-6 ) on my last trip to Africa, I'm huge fan. The target acquisition time is in fact significantly faster with the "red dot".

1. Have it on a 223,
2. marks are close to actual,
3. have to remember how to use it.
1000022310.jpg

I am pretty much a German Number 4 fan. Simple and clean. Illuminated it is perfect. Never had any use for all the little extras on tactical scopes. Plus, I have never met anyone who ever used one of the lead indices - maybe on an anti-aircraft gun - but a rifle scope? For game animals?

I agree. I have a couple that have a few other additional indices. If the picture looks sharp, to my eye, I tend to focus on the middle and ignore what's around them. In this case I guess I'm wondering what people think of the illuminated part of this particular reticle, though I did not articulate that in my post.

A cousin had difficulty reselling a Swarovski because of the Christmas tree reticle on it.
I had a swaro Z3 with a Heavy BRH "Christmas tree" reticle once. I had Swaro switch it out for a 4A. Was quite reasonable to do (around $140 I believe at the time?...could be wrong) and I've been happy with it ever since.

From Burris website:

The Ballistic E3 from Burris is a rear focal plane reticle calibrated for traditional, magnum and varmint loads.

When crosshairs are set for zero at 100 yards each line on the lower vertical crosshair will be calibrated for 200, 300 and 400 yards respectively. This is of course for the average caliber. To find your exact bullet drop for this reticle input your ballistic and environmental data into our ballistic calculator.

Cascading dots help adjust for a 10-m.p.h. crosswind for the average caliber. To find your exact windage holds for this reticle input your ballistic and environmental data into our ballistic calculator.

The question is, at X power, do the lines correlate with the ballistics of the cartridge being used. I haven't had much luck with that part of the equation in any brand of scope.

Not exactly like yours, I'm running a Meopta Meostar R2 1.7-10×42 BDC-3. The reticle is true at 10x, have it mounted on a 375h&h. It would be okay for something fast if required. I almost dial-up elevation required. That said, inside of 300 yards would not hesitate to use it. Mark out some paper for the offsets of the reticle and shoot it. If they fall into the correct area at max power (or if you have a jacked up manufacturer that has a Mark in the middle of the scale, test there). The biggest thing is test and confirm. Same on the wind holds, do thing line up at 100? What @Hogpatrol posted is good information. 10MPH wind is good to know, if it is 5MPH use half, the point is it will scale.

I had a swaro Z3 with a Heavy BRH "Christmas tree" reticle once. I had Swaro switch it out for a 4A. Was quite reasonable to do (around $140 I believe at the time?...could be wrong) and I've been happy with it ever since.
4a is a better hunting reticle for my purposes but it's good to see more people trying illuminated reticles. I think they are highly practical in the field. It's amazing how often a dark animal will be in shade, shadow, etc...even worse is a group of animals in low light that you have to sort out and it's your one shot at a nice animal.

I have a 3x9 and a 2x7 with that reticle. You can go to the Burris website, go to their ballistic tools and pull up a screen that you can select your scopes reticle and enter your ballistic dope and print out a dope card. I have this taped to my rifle. I’ve reduced the size when I printed it so it fits on the rifle but I can’t seem to figure out how to reduce the size when I post the picture. …sorry.

IMG_0036.jpeg

I also found a couple of the Burris scopes that were quite affordable. I'm looking for a low power scope for my 404 Jeffery. Most everything in my desired price range is "tactical." These all seem to be lighted reticle with Christmas tree incraments. For that gun and its purpose I can probably do without both but it's what is available. I definitely would prefer to not have the extra turret for battery and electronics. The one complaint I did find online was the battery ran out of gas quickly. Not sure if this is generally a problem with lighted reticles? I got the feeling the complainant may not have had much or any former experience with them.

I also found a couple of the Burris scopes that were quite affordable. I'm looking for a low power scope for my 404 Jeffery. Most everything in my desired price range is "tactical." These all seem to be lighted reticle with Christmas tree incraments. For that gun and its purpose I can probably do without both but it's what is available. I definitely would prefer to not have the extra turret for battery and electronics. The one complaint I did find online was the battery ran out of gas quickly. Not sure if this is generally a problem with lighted reticles? I got the feeling the complainant may not have had much or any former experience with them.
A used straight-tube Z6i 1-6x24 with the 4-I reticle should be about right. You should be able to find them for around 1500-1700$ used.

A used straight-tube Z6i 1-6x24 with the 4-I reticle should be about right. You should be able to find them for around 1500-1700$ used.
That's the perfect scope and reticle for a .404 or anything .375 and up. I have that reticle on almost all of my lighted reticle scopes. One of the great features is that it doesn't have to be turned on and if so, it has multiple settings to go from day use to night use.

I have a similar Vortex crosshair on my 3006. I am happy with the crosshair. I won't use windage but 200 300 hash marks will be better than a thumb suck and it is not a Christmas tree reticle. I like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tatiana744

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.