Old Model Ruger Alaskan in 375 Ruger

Aussie_Hunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Can any of you Ruger Alaskan owners answer this one for me?

I have an old model Ruger Alaskan on it's way to me in almost new condition, couldn't be happier with the deal on got on this rifle. I needed another rugged stainless rifle badly as my blued rifles are just being murdered in the Australian tropics especially in the wet season so I want to try and keep my blued rifles in the safe for the worst 6 months of the year. Is the Hogue stock from factory on the older model Alaskans the full alloy bedded version? Or just the pillar bedded version? I have a brand full alloy bedded Hogue stock on it's way to me as well but I had this stock ear marked for my Ruger Guide Gun in 30-06 as the laminate stock is getting a little sad. But now I'm thinking if the factory stock on the Alaskan I just bought is only pillar bedded I am probably better off putting that stock on my 30-06 and putting the heavier duty version on the 375 Ruger Alaskan.

It came with a set of Redding dies, I have some 235 grain Woodleigh PPSN on order, planning on running them at relatively high velocities with a 3-9 scope, majority of work will be done on long headlands around cane paddocks shooting big boars. I'll be sure to post a photo with its first 100kg cane boar when it happens.

Any feedback on loads you 375 Ruger owners have worked up is also much appreciated.

Yes, the stock is the block version vs. pillar bedding.

I have a Quickload recipe for it, but will go down and insure I copy it correctly from my notes at the bench.

You will maybe want to dehorn the iron sights - they are a bit harsh on hands. Since I shoot southpaw, I modified the bolt knob to be able to grab it more easily. (Pic below)

Finished.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

I have a Quickload recipe for it, but will go down and insure I copy it correctly from my notes at the bench.

You will maybe want to dehorn the iron sights - they are a bit harsh on hands. Since I shoot southpaw, I modified the bolt knob to be able to grab it more easily. (Pic below)

View attachment 391195
Good to know I have 2 heavy duty stocks now, thanks.

Here are some starting points:

250grain Sierra Game King
79.5gr RL15
102.4gr water capacity in fired case for all loads
2745FPS
4183 Ft.-Lbs
61,711 psi vs. 62,004 max allowed

270grain Barnes TSX
67gr RL15
2404FPS
3464 Ft.-Lbs
47,600 psi

270grain Barnes TSX
73.6gr RL-15
2611FPS
4,088 Ft.-Lbs
61,477 psi

250grain Barnes TTSX
72.4gr RL15
2640FPS
3868 Ft.-Lbs
57,000 psi

View attachment 391195
My Alaskan is a 2007 model (first year), with the black coating, no brake and no barrel band. Mine has the pillar bedded stock. As far as I know, they have never used the full bedded stock.

Last edited:
By the way, why do you need the full bedded version on a .375 Ruger? It will make zero difference in accuracy under 300 yards. Its just more weight for nothing. I'll be honest with you, you need to tell all 4 of my Hogue stocks that they aren't durable because they are only pillar bedded. They didn't get the memo that they are flimsy lol

Ii called the factory and they said it was block bedded - I will look next time I pull the action.

Ii called the factory and they said it was block bedded - I will look next time I pull the action.
I'm all up for being proven wrong. Is yours the black coated version like mine?

Sometimes the folks who take the phone calls, can't tell a bolt knob from a door knob.

I'm pulling my stock now. You have my curiosity up.

By the way, why do you need the full bedded version on a .375 Ruger? It will make zero difference in accuracy under 300 yards. Its just more weight for nothing. I'll be honest with you, you need to tell all 4 of my Hogue stocks that they aren't durable because they are only pillar bedded. They didn't get the memo that they are flimsy lol
Not concerned about accuracy, more durability and weight. I have no issues carrying a bit of extra weight around to help soak up the recoil. Well it's looking like the factory stocks are pillar bedded? if that's the case I'll put the pillar bedded stock on my 30-06 and the full alloy bedded stock on my 375.

Here are some starting points:

250grain Sierra Game King
79.5gr RL15
102.4gr water capacity in fired case for all loads
2745FPS
4183 Ft.-Lbs
61,711 psi vs. 62,004 max allowed

270grain Barnes TSX
67gr RL15
2404FPS
3464 Ft.-Lbs
47,600 psi

270grain Barnes TSX
73.6gr RL-15
2611FPS
4,088 Ft.-Lbs
61,477 psi

250grain Barnes TTSX
72.4gr RL15
2640FPS
3868 Ft.-Lbs
57,000 psi
Alliant RL15 is exactly what I was planning on using. T start with I'll work up a load with the 235 grain woodleighs and let you know how it goes.

Mine is the black one.

Must be nice to have RL15. Here, one cannot find a single can of powder ANYWHERE!

Primers are like hen's teeth!

Mine is the black one.

Must be nice to have RL15. Here, one cannot find a single can of powder ANYWHERE!

Plenty still available where I am and I'm stocked up, got enough reloading components to last me about 2 years already.

Mine is the black one.

RL17 is the ideal powder for the 375 Ruger. That is if you're using 300 grain boolits. 17 can match the speed of 15 with 2k less psi.

Not concerned about accuracy, more durability and weight. I have no issues carrying a bit of extra weight around to help soak up the recoil. Well it's looking like the factory stocks are pillar bedded? if that's the case I'll put the pillar bedded stock on my 30-06 and the full alloy bedded stock on my 375.
I completely agree about the weight. Throw it in a wood stock and you'll appreciate that Hogue even more.

You may have to open the barrel channel up. I got the Hogue for the "B" barrel on my African, and it's snug. The camo Hogue on my Alaskan is a Varmint barrel channel and it's floated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RamiroMcGu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg