Old-fashioned Mauser Stocks? (help needed)

WebleyGreene455

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hi everyone.

Edumacate me on something, please. Per a bunch of my other threads, I've been interested in rebuilding an old Mauser 98 sporter into something a little... sexier. On the one hand I've been thinking about putting a Kar98k barrel and a shortened Gewehr 98 military stock on it for an oldschool converted military rifle. On the other, I've thought about going full retro sporter with a fancier stock and an octagonal barrel. And in the middle I've been thinking about an octagonal barrel with a military stock, but that's not really relevant to this question.

I've been looking at a bunch of vintage Mausers for inspiration and I'm thinking if I want to go with a proper classic stock, I oughta make sure I pick one that's right for what I have in mind. Many of the German/Austrian Mausers I've seen have a stock with a pretty sharply-dropping comb, a cheekrest, thickened side panels over the magazine box, and often a schnabel tip to the forearm. Some don't have this but they're in a minority.

Now, my questions:
1. How might British/American Mauser stocks from 1910s/1920s differ from German/Austrian stocks and what are some of the pros/cons of either style?

2. How did German stocks vary (if at all) between 1905 and 1920?

3. Can anyone suggest a reputable stockmaker/seller that replicates the classic styles? Great American Gunstock Co. seems to have made two German and a British styles once upon a time but they're out of business now and it seems their successor is likewise gone the way of the dodo.

I would ask that anyone who has pics they can share, please do so. The more the merrier!

Kindest regards,
~~W.G.455

WG455 -

To the best of my knowledge, Mausers were like hen's teeth in the US in the early 20th century. This was part of why COL Whelen developed the .35 Whelen, because us normal/middle class folk weren't going to pay massive amounts to import a custom magnum Mauser action (to fit the .375 H&H) - especially once the fun and games of the Depression hit. The .35 Whelen was as big a cartridge as normal Joes could swing to get near the .375 H&H.

Difference - the European stock pattern has a hog-back/humped comb line, whereas the American stock comb line is straight and level with the bore of the rifle - if you look at the CZ website they show both stock styles in their dangerous game level rifles. The Europeans generally either use drived hunting or Hochsitze (high seats - stands in the forest made of sapling logs) for their hunting. They get moonscopes to shoot right up to dark/into the dark. While you can stand hunt in the US, we also still hunt, so carrying the rifle becomes important to consider - long barrels make for more to carry - you carry the rifle 99% of the time, so mine wear 20" barrels vs. the more common 24-26" (big bore/.375 H&H stuff). I am no expert on German 1905 stocks, so surely someone else behind this post on the board will give you more info.

The two stock sources I know of are Richards Microfit and Boyds:

http://www.rifle-stocks.com/

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/gunstocks

I could not marry up an octogonal barrel with a Mauser action - just doesn't work in my meager brain cell collection.

USMA84DAB

Attachments

• Screenshot (203).png
    Screenshot (203).png
    336.6 KB · Views: 252
  • Screenshot (204).png
    Screenshot (204).png
    297.4 KB · Views: 321
  • Screenshot (205).png
    Screenshot (205).png
    419.5 KB · Views: 366
  • Screenshot (206).png
    Screenshot (206).png
    373.5 KB · Views: 411
  • Screenshot (207).png
    Screenshot (207).png
    283.1 KB · Views: 372
  • Screenshot (208).png
    Screenshot (208).png
    265.2 KB · Views: 285
  • Screenshot (209).png
    Screenshot (209).png
    435.3 KB · Views: 266
  • Screenshot (210).png
    Screenshot (210).png
    424.7 KB · Views: 315
  • Screenshot (211).png
    Screenshot (211).png
    445.3 KB · Views: 284
  • Screenshot (212).png
    Screenshot (212).png
    461.2 KB · Views: 385
  • Screenshot (213).png
    Screenshot (213).png
    459.1 KB · Views: 270
Last edited by a moderator:
Commercial mausers were offered in numerous barrel variations from round, full length octagonal, half round half octagonal etc. Pretty much whatever the customer wanted. A google search will show plenty of examples of early commercial stocks. This is one example from 1931 (image from Dorleac-Dorleac.com):
images

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 1,199
Commercial mausers were offered in numerous barrel variations from round, full length octagonal, half round half octagonal etc. Pretty much whatever the customer wanted. A google search will show plenty of examples of early commercial stocks. This is one example from 1931 (image from Dorleac-Dorleac.com):
images
That's sort of the trouble I'm having. There are indeed lots of pictures and examples and it's feeling a bit... overwhelming, trying to decide which way to go. And pictures aren't stocks or rifles I can handle and try out for fit; I don't want to drop money on a stock and then get it in hand and realize it doesn't work for me at all. That's the main reason why I was gravitating toward a trimmed military stock; I know for a fact that I'm comfortable with one.

The schnabel tip is a sort of a position marker for your hand, or for laying the rifle on a rest. Typically it is used on a very thin fore-end, where it also keeps the thin wood from splitting. Not really my preference for feel or looks.

The hogback comb is mainly a style of getting the cheekpiece where you want it. Personally, I prefer the look of a straight comb.

The schnabel tip is a sort of a position marker for your hand, or for laying the rifle on a rest. Typically it is used on a very thin fore-end, where it also keeps the thin wood from splitting. Not really my preference for feel or looks.

The hogback comb is mainly a style of getting the cheekpiece where you want it. Personally, I prefer the look of a straight comb.
From what I understand, the "hogback" will align your eye with irons better but it looks like it wouldn't go well with a scope.

The Schnabel is something I could take or leave, I've seen attractive rifles with and without them. But I could always reshape a Schnabel stock into a more streamlined style if I chose.

If you can get your hands on any of the "Mauser books" they show just about every stock that "Mauser" ever made. Many years ago I had a rifle built for me, many people became involved in the project over about a 4 year period of time. After I had the rifle built I came across a similar design in one of the mauser books. It was a commercial model with a semi military stock with upper hand guard. Mine completed looked very similar to the .303 enfield jungle carbine. The barrelled action was a CZ .404J, short barrel?, sights NECG. No checkering side mounted sling with oiler& recoil reducer. I loved it, sold it still regret selling it!

If you can get your hands on any of the "Mauser books" they show just about every stock that "Mauser" ever made. Many years ago I had a rifle built for me, many people became involved in the project over about a 4 year period of time. After I had the rifle built I came across a similar design in one of the mauser books. It was a commercial model with a semi military stock with upper hand guard. Mine completed looked very similar to the .303 enfield jungle carbine. The barrelled action was a CZ .404J, short barrel?, sights NECG. No checkering side mounted sling with oiler& recoil reducer. I loved it, sold it still regret selling it!
What sort of recoil reducer? Pad, or something inside the stock like the mercury ones I hear tell of?

I cannot remember the name of the recoil reducer it was not a mercury recoil reducer. It was a mechanical recoil reducer, you physicaly pulled it into your shoulder to "cock it". a plate with a recoil pad was against your shoulder then there was a slight gap between that plate and the stock with 2 exposed rods. The whole thing was a bit ugly so I had the recoil pad and the exposed area fitted with a pig skin recoil pad cover. The amount of felt recoil reduction was unbelievable. I cannot remember the barrel length it was somewhere between 20" & 22". I wish I had a picture for you. Also the wood was laminated for strength. This rifle was as handy as a carbine and had the recoil of maybe a 30-06.

I will try to get you more info on the recoil reduction system, never will you see a muzzle brake on anything that I own!!

I cannot remember the name of the recoil reducer it was not a mercury recoil reducer. It was a mechanical recoil reducer, you physicaly pulled it into your shoulder to "cock it". a plate with a recoil pad was against your shoulder then there was a slight gap between that plate and the stock with 2 exposed rods. The whole thing was a bit ugly so I had the recoil pad and the exposed area fitted with a pig skin recoil pad cover. The amount of felt recoil reduction was unbelievable. I cannot remember the barrel length it was somewhere between 20" & 22". I wish I had a picture for you. Also the wood was laminated for strength. This rifle was as handy as a carbine and had the recoil of maybe a 30-06.

I will try to get you more info on the recoil reduction system, never will you see a muzzle brake on anything that I own!!
I'd be most interested to hear about it if you can get more info. There certainly won't be a muzzle brake on this rifle, either!

• I’m in the same boat with the OP, building a sporter on the K98 large ring. I know exactly what I’m looking for in a stock, the pre War Mauser model K. The problem is finding a stock maker that has the pattern. Anyone know who could make one?
    C12CE536-918C-4B53-B9BA-FFDCFFE9C245.jpeg

• I’m in the same boat with the OP, building a sporter on the K98 large ring. I know exactly what I’m looking for in a stock, the pre War Mauser model K. The problem is finding a stock maker that has the pattern. Anyone know who could make one?
I posted a new thread yesterday about company in California, U.S. Gun Inletting and Stocks. They have a bunch of those classic patterns but I've not had much luck finding a lot of reviews for them, so I'm really hesitant to try.

I’ve seen US stock inletting’s website but non of the stocks I saw were like the Mauser K. They were more like new style sporters. Like you I haven’t heard any reviews good or bad about them.

I’ve seen US stock inletting’s website but non of the stocks I saw were like the Mauser K. They were more like new style sporters. Like you I haven’t heard any reviews good or bad about them.
They have a couple that are pretty similar and I think they could probably alter one for you if you asked, if their website is any indication.

Ebay does seem to have quite a lot of positive feedback: https://www.ebay.com/fdbk/feedback_profile/usgunstocks?filter=feedback_page:All

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 11.08.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 11.08.30 AM.png
    678.3 KB · Views: 220
I am not far off starting on a stock to replace a euro style in this older and much cleaner style in a similar plain board sawn blank I have on hand. Just waiting on the final measurements to come in. Unfortunately I wont be able to do a completely finished stock as I will have to leave the final barrel channel and bolt handle notch for his fitting as the barrelled action is in the US and sending them here for fitting is no longer and simple matter.
Seans prefered style.jpg

I'd be most interested to hear about it if you can get more info. There certainly won't be a muzzle brake on this rifle, either!
Hi I believe the name is Greeves they make a single and double (for more recoil reduction) if I remember correctly I went with the single, but I do not remember why, I know I did but it through Brownells, I am sure that they still carry it.

Hope this helps you. Would need assistance to post more pictures.
Original rifle # is listed in mauser Sporters book.

upload_2020-2-7_11-49-20.jpeg

Octagon barrel. Taken on iPhone and aware lighting is bad, sorry about that. Weather is snowy here so no outdoor pictures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg