AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
USA, South Africa
Having received our crate from Africa I have all of the hides at the taxidermist for prep and tanning. I am working on reprocessing all of the skulls and horns for display as European mounts until the taxidermist is ready for them. I noticed both the horns and skulls have some odor to them not unbearable but nothing that would get past my wife.

The degreasing process and peroxide whitening is taking care of the odor on the skull but I am not sure what to use on the horn sheath to remove the odor. So far I have sprayed them down with a natural disinfectant spray inside and out it has helped some but I figure there must be a tried and true method.

I would love to hear any recommendations

Having only done this once myself I’m not sure what i am about to say is by any means the gold standard. I did a deer skull myself once and the big win was leaving it out side for a considerable length of time. In fact I left it in the sun for six months after I had cleaned it. Later I whitened it as you are doing. I shot the buck in November then boiled and cleaned the skull the week I got it home! Then It stayed outside in the sun all through the winter and spring. I did the whitening process in June I think and by then there was no smell at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elkreaper17

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois