AH fanatic
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
by Philip P. Massaro

watermark.php

“I speak of Africa, and golden joys…”

The very year that President Theodore Roosevelt penned these words, as the introduction to his famous account of his post-presidential safari in African Game Trails, the firm of W.J. Jeffery & Co. released what was to become an African Superstar: the .404 Jeffery. The year was 1909, and the era of African safari was in full swing. Firearms manufacturers had made the transition from blackpowder to smokeless powder, velocities were increasing and bullet diameters for dangerous game were shrinking. Jeffery had great success with their .450/400 Nitro Express cartridges (there were different lengths), and needed a cartridge of similar performance that would work well in the bolt-action rifles. Using a rimless case of similar design, but changing the bullet diameter from .411” to .423”, the .404 Jeffery was born. As fate would have it, Mr. William Jackman Jeffery would never get to see the huge success of his brainchild; he passed away the same year the cartridge was released.

The .450/400 NE, which was the benchmark performance level of this newfangled rimless case, had gained a reputation for being a very efficient killer. The 400 grain bullets delivered two tons of energy at the muzzle, and the high Sectional Density ensured the bullets penetrated wonderfully. Many noted hunters, John ‘Pondoro’ Taylor and Col. Jim Corbett among them, came to rely on the .450/400 in double rifles and single loaders, so Jeffery wanted that same performance in their rimless design. Delivering a 400-grain bullet at 2,125 fps, the .404 was an instant success. The mild velocity, and correlative mild recoil, made it easy for hunters to deliver the bullet in the right place, and the sloping 9° shoulder of the cartridge made for reliable feeding, which is an important feature when reloading; you don’t want to take your eyes off of the dangerous game you’ve just shot.

History can be skewed sometimes, and in the case of the .404 Jeffery, it got an unfair shake. The Colonial game departments of East Africa issued Vickers bolt-action rifles, chambered to .404 Jeffery, to all of their game scouts, but the typewriter of Mr. Robert Ruark launched the much less-used .416 Rigby into fame and glory. Now, there are no flies on the .416s; I own, use and love them. They use the same bullet weight (400 grains) to do their dirty work, but at an increased velocity of 2,350 to 2,400 fps. This also comes at an impressive increase in recoil. Although, I’d like to note that Dr. Kevin ‘Doctari’ Robertson reports that the original Rigby ammo, when run through a modern chronograph, showed 2,150 fps rather than the advertised 2,350 fps, so there may be some misconceptions about the Rigby’s initial performance level from the starting gate. At any rate, the .404 Jeff has earned a very reliable reputation in the older piece of Africana, and that is well deserved.

The last 20 years have seen the Jeffery case give birth to an amazing number of now-famous offspring, as it is the parent case for the Remington Ultra Magnum series, as well as the Winchester Short Magnum and Dakota Magnum series. Not too shabby for a case designed in 1905.

The aforementioned Dr. Robertson, believing that the .404 Jeffery could benefit not only from a modern (read higher) velocity load, but also from a heavier bullet to increase the Sectional Density figures, advised the good folks at Norma how to revamp the load. I have to say that the team did a good job, and the Norma African PH line of ammunition is a good offering. There is the 400 grain Norma Solid, now traveling at 2,325 fps (not too far behind the 416s!), for just over 4,800 ft.-lbs of muzzle energy, and a pair of 450 Woodleigh bullets, soft and solid, leaving the muzzle at 2,150 fps for 4,620 ft.-lbs. of energy. This brings the venerable .404 into the modern world, with a fresh new lease on life, and vastly increases the versatility of the old cartridge. Shots out to 300 yards are now much easier to make with the hotter 400 grain loading.

The older loads, with the 400 grain bullets at 2,150 fps, still make a fantastic choice for the recoil-sensitive hunter that enjoys the thrill of dangerous game without the punishment associated with some of the bigger and faster cartridges, and as history has proven, this formula works. One quick bit of trivia: The Chadwick Ram, the largest stone sheep ever taken and considered to be the greatest North American trophy ever taken, was shot in 1936 in the Muskwa River drainage of British Columbia, with a .404 Jeffery!

The newer Norma loads will let your .404 Jeffery shine, and the Woodleigh bullets will most certainly do their job. I’m a believer in the .404, so much so that it will be my heavy rifle on my next safari to Zimbabwe, in May of 2015. And yes, in addition to the fantastic Norma ammunition, I’ll be using Norma component cases to cook up my handloads. I can’t wait!

watermark.php

Philip P. Massaro is the President of Massaro Ballistic Laboratories, LLC, a custom ammunition company, comfortably nestled in between the Hudson River and Catskill Mountains of Upstate New York. He has been a handloader for 20+ years, a veteran of three African Safaris and dozens of North American hunts. He is the author of two shooting sports books, and his work has appeared in several major shooting/hunting publications. He is a Licensed Professional Land Surveyor by trade, a musician by choice, and usually reeks of Hoppes No. 9.

Last edited by a moderator:
A shame he has some data wrong but the link to a 404 history I have posted before gets deleted as it is on another forum.

One of the true classic calibers. I'm glad it is starting to become popular again.

A shame he has some data wrong but the link to a 404 history I have posted before gets deleted as it is on another forum.
Could you share the incorrect date directly here?

Some info on introduction date and performance, this is taken from Pierre van der Walt's "African dangerous game cartridges"

20150619_093352_resized.jpg
20150619_093435_resized.jpg
20150619_093352_resized.jpg
20150619_093435_resized.jpg

sorry gents but I couldn't resist posting my 404 pictures again (y)

104_2258-jpg.34840

Me either. Mine was made in 1907 as well.

It's to bad that the article uses the 1909 date.

You guys are killing me.....

Could you share the incorrect date directly here?

On another forum a few of us were discussing the 404 and quite a bit of information was starting to be posted so we started a thread on the history of the cartridge. I can pm a link to any who would like it

This was the magazine detail on a 1907 model that has been posted at one stage. If memory serves me correctly it was Phil, Shoemaker

And of course I couldn't post in a 404 thread without posting the one I built

Attachments

• 404Jeffery050.jpg
    404Jeffery050.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 437
  • P1030828_zps5f724d19.jpg
    P1030828_zps5f724d19.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 461
Grandpaw’s Jeffery

It rested between the Ivory
That hung on Grandpa's wall
It's finally checked and yellowed
Like the tusks it helped to fall

It's barrel smooth and polished
From a hundred bearers hands
It reflected the light warmly
Like campfires flickering brands

The stock of English walnut
Chewed and clawed a bit
It still showed a trace of checkering
an a dent where a horn had hit

Stamped on the barrel lightly
Was a name and not much more
A single word "Jeffery"
"Jeffery .404"

If that rifle could only talk
And take us back once again
With grandpa in Africa
A time of Buffalo,Elephants and men

But that day has set it's sun
And the rifle speaks no more
Oh what I'd give for one last time
To hear it's mighty roar

With all these rounds you must have a 404j hiding somewhere tarbe.:sneaky:

It is interesting that your ammo boxes spell "404 Jeffrey" instead of "404 Jeffery"

Love to see yours if you want to post it.(y)

Attachments

• scan0011_zpsbbb5a2d1.jpg
    scan0011_zpsbbb5a2d1.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 323
  • scan0014_zpswghgvn6w.jpg
    scan0014_zpswghgvn6w.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 250
  • scan0012_zpsglwkg7eu.jpg
    scan0012_zpsglwkg7eu.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 257
  • scan0013_zpsfe3i1s09.jpg
    scan0013_zpsfe3i1s09.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 289
On another forum a few of us were discussing the 404 and quite a bit of information was starting to be posted so we started a thread on the history of the cartridge. I can pm a link to any who would like it

Von Gruff is an expert on the 404j. The information he is talking about is great if you are interested.(y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg