No.1 458 Lott

mikepos

New member
Joined
Feb 1, 2021
Messages
7
Reaction score
25
Location
Eastern Canada
Media
2
Member of
a couple
IMG_1066.jpeg
IMG_1068.jpeg
Here it is, my first big bore except a couple 45-70. Always wanted a No.1 and figured big bore was what to get. Only shot a couple light loads with it so far , 73gr IMR4198 under 300gr Speer so obviously recoil was light. Will be shooting mostly reduced loads for a pile of 45-70 bullets I have (350gr plated, 300 & 350gr jacketed, 405gr HCL) but have ordered some 500gr DG bullets to try out. Hopefully will get this to Africa some day but Western Canada is more likely first. Here in Eastern Canada moose is biggest thing I'll likely see and the 300WM is a safer bet where we often go many years between draws.
 
Ooh there's another crazy person out there. Welcome to the club! Is your rifle a conversion or did it come chambered for the Lott from the factory?

I like the 400 grain SPRN bullets by Speer for practice. I use W748 for practice and H4895 for the full power loads with 500 grain bullets. It is very accurate with 4895, but not so well mannered.

The wood is awesome for sure.
 
You're not gonna like a 500 grain at 2200 fps. I had a #1 Tropical in .458 Lott. Was absolutely brutal. Even with a Limbsaver replacement pad.
Limbsaver is useless. Pacmayr Decelerator or Kick Ezz is where it's at. I actually gave them a chance again on the #1 in .375. I found it was less effective than the decelerator.

I refuse to use the limbsaver products as they breakdown and leave a gooey mess in your gun cabinet or cases. I had used them since they first came out and one day found that they had all gone gooey. I called the company and got zero reply about it.

Returning to the original point, I do not find the Lott unbearable. What I do find is that the recoil comes very fast and that takes some getting used to. It doesn't immediately dissuade me from wanting to play with it anymore, but time is limited before I develop a headache. I find it is best shot in four round intervals before taking a break to play with something else before I come back to it.
 
Nice looking rifle. A Lott in a #1 will be a bit sporty on recoil but something that is tolerable with a little work.
 
You're going love your 458 No1. This is my most fun rifle to bring to the range. I always thought the wood on my No1 was pretty, but yours looks nicer than mine, maybe it's the lighting? Also, it looks like you already have an aftermarket recoil pad installed but if you want more, I agree with the above comments regarding the Pacmayr Decelerator working well to slow the beast down when you decide to load it up hot with the 500 grainers. Enjoy!
 
I plan to shoot 350s and reduced 405s, but I ordered 50 500s and 50 480s to load up and try. Will save 30 or so of the 500s for the Africa dream :)
 
I plan to shoot 350s and reduced 405s, but I ordered 50 500s and 50 480s to load up and try. Will save 30 or so of the 500s for the Africa dream :)
You're playing it smart. I enjoy shooting the 400 grainers and they need not be throttled way back to enjoy them. It's a fun experience for the recoil junkies without being dangerous.
 
Nice looking rifle. A Lott in a #1 will be a bit sporty on recoil but something that is tolerable with a little work.
You can say that again. I took the one I had to the range the first time and shit fi e rounds through it and put it up. Then I bought a Pacmayr slip on pad as suggested above and it was OK to shoot. Took it on an elephant hunt as backup rifle.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,323
Messages
1,572,898
Members
169,635
Latest member
DeliaMulle
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top