New US Customs policy pertaining to bows & arrows for hunting

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us. The feedback you provide, is the only way that our clients could be kept informed of the happenings in "real time".

On my last trip to Namibia I would take the bloody arrows and broadheads and put dawn soap on them and put them in the shower when I got in at night. didn't wont to leave good arrows on Africa. Forrest

I have a few friends in SA hunting right now. They all are coming back home through JFK. I will see how their experiences were and update you all as well.

I returned from SA last August thru ATL and experienced this. I was traveling with a friend who's bow case "looked" like a hard rifle case and was moved to the inspection room while my case looked nothing like a firearms case and I picked it up off the baggage line right next to the inspection room. My wife and myself stood outside the room with my bow case and other luggage while we waited for him to get cleared thru. The most frustrating part was that they took his case in there but never opened it, they made him leave the room to get boots that he had worn in SA out of his luggage and sprayed the bottom of them.

I just returned 2 days ago and wanted to add that asked for my hunting boots as well. Once they sprayed them I had to return the now wet / muddy boots back into my luggage.

I just returned 2 days ago and wanted to add that asked for my hunting boots as well. Once they sprayed them I had to return the now wet / muddy boots back into my luggage.

Foreign land hunters coming in to Atlanta, FYI: Boots, boot, boots or whatever you're wearing on your feet, please remove them before your turn in the barrel. This has been standard practice for years yet it still seems to be the main cause of delays in the firearm check station. They have plastic bags to stow your footwear after spraying. If they don't offer them, ask for one.

I just came back from South Africa into Dulles Airport in VA 3 weeks ago. I had my bow, rifle, arrows and shooting sticks in a 4 gun case. Customs looked at the rifle, but not the arrows in their tube or the bow, which I told them was on the bottom of the case. I guess it depends on where you are as to what they want to enforce.

I just came back from South Africa into Dulles Airport in VA 3 weeks ago. I had my bow, rifle, arrows and shooting sticks in a 4 gun case. Customs looked at the rifle, but not the arrows in their tube or the bow, which I told them was on the bottom of the case. I guess it depends on where you are as to what they want to enforce.
They don't check shoes at Dulles. A little more fecal matter would never be noticed.

If you get you boots back muddy that means you didn't clean the dirt off back where you came from. Clean all of your gear.

Things always changing. When I returned last week the precedure over the years changed. Sportsman on the flight we're told our sporting equipment would come off a different carousel where I found US customs agents stacking guns and archery equipment on a cart. We were told to follow them then randomly called into the office. Buracy at its best I guess.

Coming back through Atlanta last month, my bow case was only screened for explosives residue. The never looked at the arrows or broad heads. No one ever asked to see our boots either.

I did not have a bow but a rifle. I did see a bow case come through Customs in Wash. Dulles a week ago.
First the rifle was slow getting into Customs, then the Custom agent was slow getting to me, with check in and rifle going through the x-ray etc. i missed my flight to Chicago, was booked on the next flight out and had a less wait time in Chicago onto Sioux Falls, South Dakota.

Atlanta has been doing this for quite some time. You'll have to remove your boots or retrieve your boots and allow them to inspect/disinfect them. Your bow cases will go through the inspection process as well. Typically they have never done too much inspecting in my case other than noticing it wasn't a rifle. Truthfully I always have considered good housekeeping a must on all trips so this "new" routine really hasn't been much of a burden. Cheers!

The guys at Atlanta told me they were looking for blood on arrows and broadheads.

I had the inspection in Atlanta in 2016 also but not in Seattle in 2017

We came back from Namibia in June, fully expecting to be inspected by customs in Houston. Nothing, NADA, got our luggage off the carousel and the two bow cases came out on the oversize luggage belt, and we were out the door. Breezed right through customs without a question, checked our passports, and on our way.

Thank God they are doing this. I have been terrified at the thought of a wave of Jihadi's entering the US with legally obtained and transported archery equipment. Our very civilization would be at stake.

Thank God they are doing this. I have been terrified at the thought of a wave of Jihadi's entering the US with legally obtained and transported archery equipment. Our very civilization would be at stake.

Hilarious!

Any recent experiences in Atlanta in 2019 as to bow inspections as discussed above? I assume they are still doing this as well as the boots?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg