New-to-me Beretta GR 2 .45-70 Double Rifle

there are 2 issues here.
one is pressures suited to break action doubles.
treat them according to design in this area.
the other is regulation.
the load must regulate for the gun to be useful.
starline make 45-2.4" brass of good quality, and also make 45-2.6" brass.
the 2.6" case would offer lower pressure for the same velocity, assuming barrel thickness waere sufficient.
bruce.

you had me at hello @AZDAVE :)

The whole idea of boring out a russian double was killed about 8 seconds after you mentioned 40K and thin barrels..

I think I'd rather invest the $1K that would have gone into the poor mans double project into another big bore mauser build... I've been thinking a 45-70 Siamese mauser conversion could be a good way to get my next fix once the .416 Taylor project is complete :)

@crs I agree about the in jest, having read a number of FWB's posts he is very knowledgeable. However as a young man there was a local guys that thought powder was powder and put to much bulleye in a rifle case and was hurt very bad. My dad lectured into my pea size brain about safety, etc. Being a prankster and smart A$$ for way back I enjoy fun and jest among friends. However I always default on the side of extreme safety when dealing with reloading. because you never know who is reading the information.

Dave.........you are right. I stand corrected. .................FWB

Or make that S Mauser a .45-90 (been done b4) and shoot 450 grain bullets at 2150 fps (also done b4 in my 1886).

Dave - boar hunt with hog dogs coming up Saturday October 6 at The Boars Nest in OK. Room for 1 or 2 more.

crs.............that load for the 45-90 reproduces the ballistics of the original elephant hammer.............the 450 Rigby. Their 480 grain load produced about 2000-2060 thru the chronograph despite advertising excesses. So it should do great for anything. I would love to have that in a S Mauser.......I was unaware that you could achieve that in an 86.........FW Bill

FWB,
My 1886 has a 26 inch full octagon barrel and that load pushes back some.
Over the weekend I will look for some more info that I can copy in and not have to key.

Thanks crs..............the 86 was a big strong gun, and one of the few to make the transition from black to smokeless. I would like to approximate that load in my 45-90. (74 Shiloh)I do imagine it sets you back a little. BTW, the Beretta double 45-70 that started this thread looks so nice, that I have been looking for any 45-2.1 double on the net. Nothing that appealing has popped up yet.....................Bill

@crs I would love to make it out for pigs, but can't swing a trip at the moment. Working on heading to texas to visit family later in the year, will try and swing up your direction if to just sit by a fire and tell some hunting and fishing stories. like FWB I would be interested in your 45/90 info for my sharps.

@flatwater bill I have owned at one point or another 4 different 45/70 doubles. A bakail it is what it is. (Didn't keep it a month). One of the Sabatti's, mine was one of the very well regulated ones that didn't have the crowns dremmeled. My best friend and old army buddy REALLLLLY wanted it so I sold it to him. Had a wonderful Siace that shot lights out but just didn't fit so sold it to a member of the fourm and he really likes it. (If you can find one they are worth the money) I currently have a Rizzini that is the best I have shot in this caliber, fits me well. It is regulated with the hornaday leveroultion ammo. I have worked up a nice load with 350gr Swift A-frames at 2125 and CEB 325gr solid that hit the same POI. If you can locate one they are a good rifle. The current sabatti's are being sold by Wholesale Hunter and come with an accuracy guarantee. I looked at both Fausti and Heym O/U at SCI last year and both looked interesting.

AZDAVE and FWB,
I just located the text for the 30 day adventure that included using 45-70 and 45-90 in Africa to test a variety of bullets and loads on DG. Multiple buff, couple ele, and a leopard +spearing hogs and catching gator with fishing gear.

If you are interested, I can provide links to the original story with pix as posted from the field on Leverguns.com about 10 years ago. Can email or copy into a PM.
If all you want is the 450 grain Kodiak 45-90 load, Grizzly cartridge loaded them for us. I do not know the pressure of the load, but plan to ask Mike.

please PM the info. Thank you!

crs................pm pls!...............................Bill

FWB,
Gone hunting for a few days.

Dave, FWB,,,
Back from Boars Nest and will make post after all pix are collected from all 5 hunters.
Short version - all did well and doubles did VERY well. My little piggy shot at range of 9 feet when fighting off dogs in creek bottom:

Much more fun than potting hogs fro 100 yards from an elevated blind.

Attachments

• 55179_600x400.jpg
    55179_600x400.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 143
Last edited by a moderator:
AZDave, it just occurred to me that you could drive from Farmersville to OK City VIA the Boars Nest at Kenefic, OK, and you will have your .405 double, and I have some .405 ammo,,, Just sayin'...

BTW, have you checked your PMs and read the Saturday boar hunt report yet?

My boar introduced to Beretta .45-70 DR.

Other pix not yet loaded for posting.

Attachments

• 55185_600x400.jpg
    55185_600x400.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 149
  • 55184_600x400.jpg
    55184_600x400.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 128
Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg