New here

Welcome to AH

Hello spitfire_er,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Is your 338-416 cartridge similar to one called the .416 Taylor ?

No doubt that since you build rifles, I am preaching to the choir with the following comments:

In regards to P17 actions, they are quite good for building .404 Jeffery caliber rifles on.

The excellent outdoor writer, Jack O’Connor had a .416 Rigby caliber rifle built on a P17 Enfield action.

However, I mention these because perhaps members here might be inspired to commission you to build them a large bore repeater on a P17 or P14 action.

Presently, when compared to .416 caliber rifles, the .404 caliber rifles remain difficult to locate at anything I’d call a reasonable price.

Anyway, thanks for joining.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.
Yes, while I didn't built this one, I am fixing it. It is a 338-416 Rigby improved to 30° and a blown out body taper of course. A tad bit larger than the 338 Lapua. I spent a little time with it on the mill and got it working properly with some fine tuning.

I have not been to Africa although some day it will hopefully happen. No real "Dangerous Game" here in MN unless you count getting chased by a mean goose. Ill be doing my first elk hunt this fall in Montana, and will hopefully be getting up to Alaska in the next few years. After that hopefully Africa. I think I would like hunting cape Buffalo, plains game, and maybe a monkey/ babboon of some sort.

Yes, while I didn't built this one, I am fixing it. It is a 338-416 Rigby improved to 30° and a blown out body taper of course. A tad bit larger than the 338 Lapua. I spent a little time with it on the mill and got it working properly with some fine tuning.

I have not been to Africa although some day it will hopefully happen. No real "Dangerous Game" here in MN unless you count getting chased by a mean goose. Ill be doing my first elk hunt this fall in Montana, and will hopefully be getting up to Alaska in the next few years. After that hopefully Africa. I think I would like hunting cape Buffalo, plains game, and maybe a monkey/ babboon of some sort.
Hi again spitfire_er,

Ok I understand.
Initially, I though you were necking up a .338 Winchester to accept a .416 diameter projectile.
Thank you for clarifying.

In other news … Alaska ? … hopefully you will visit here some day.
I have lived in Anchorage for 39 years now.
So, If / when you pass through my “home town”, please do look me up.

You mention baboon, I’ve hunted them during 5 trips to Africa so far.
However, during those visits, I’ve only gotten a shot at one.
And at that, it was a running shot.
As such, I have to say that baboon are super wary and not easy to get a close
range shot at.

Anyway, blah blah blah.
Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Welcome to AH, congrats on fixing the feeding problem!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg