Needs assistance to regulate ejectors spring....

Gert Odendaal

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SAJW
Good day members

I believe all is well and good on your side? I did post a similar thread in this regards previously...this post is more specific ...The ejectors of my W.W .Greener Empire model is not ejecting sufficiently ...meaning the cartridges( paper) are not ejected from the barrel ports clearly....I did clean the ports/barrels, used different ammo...cleaned up the ejector springs/sprayed some Q20 but still the problem persist...

I think the only solution to this problem is to regulate the ejector springs it selves ..if any member on this forum did have the same problem and worked out a solution I really would like to hear from you...

Kind Regards

Gert

Sorry to see that no one has responded to your post.......I am not familiar with your shotgun (Greener Empire model), but I have dealt with issues with my Remington SPR310....what I've found is that they eject, or don't.....there isn't anything to really 'adjust". But as I said, I'm not familiar with a Greener.
I did have ejection problems with a Mossberg 500 pump shotgun; problem turned out to be rough (rust) chambers......a light polishing help fix that problem.
While I've done a fair amount of "kitchen table gunsmithing", to me this sounds like something that should be dealt with by a qualified gunsmith.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.:unsure:

Mr.16 gauge, thank you kindly for the reply..

16 Gauge is wrong on that. Ejectors on a quality made English side x side are indeed "regulated" - and a Greener Empire is a superb old gun. It is not unusual for ejectors on an older gun to either get out of time (one ejects farther than the other) or to lose velocity. They probably only need a good cleaning, but someone who knows what they are doing needs to do it. Please, please do not take the gun to someone inexperienced with classic old doubles. There are literally thousands of fine English and Continental doubles in this country which have been butchered by clueless gunsmiths who have experience only with things like Mossberg pumps.

Also, I would check the proof on that gun (on the flats under the barrels). A lot of "Empires" were proofed for 1 1/4 ounce loads, but many others have standard 1 1/8 ounce proofs and were built for English 2.5 inch shells rather than modern 2 3/4 inch. Heavy loads in a lightly proofed gun will shoot even a Greener loose pretty quickly. That is a wonderful old gun and deserves all the care in the world.

Red Leg
Thank you very much for the info, I will take look at the proof marks. No, I will not butcher the old gun...but would like to get more knowledge about the regulation of the ejectors. Graham Greener gave me a name and telephone number of a person who is knowledgeable on the process of regulating ejectors on Greener shotguns ..but it is difficult to get hold of this person, he is in England and I am in South Africa ...he does not have a e-mail address...here is the e-mail I received from Graham Greener..
"The only person who I can think of who may have experience of fitting and regulating ‘Empire’ model ejectors is Mr Terry O’Donnell, He can be contacted by telephone : - +44-1564-823129.
Gert

There are a couple in the US as well - JJ Perodeau is, to my mind, the best. He has worked on numerous English guns and rifles for me, and regularly has Hollands, Purdey's, etc in the shop. http://jjperodeau.com/ Of course, he is on this side of the pond. You might send him an email and see if he has any ideas.

Red Leg, this is really much appreciated..I will send him an e-mail..
Thank you kindly.
Gert

Red Leg, thank you again, I did contact the person you referred me too..unfortunately it is not possible to regulate the ejector springs, you have to send the shotgun back to W.W Greener to get new ejectors build from scratch...I will rather use it as is..extractors now...the rifle shoot and that is all that matters..

Regards

Gert

Think of it as a blessing. If possible, I have the ejectors disabled on almost all my hunting SxS shotguns and rifles.

I do not know if it is available online, but Sporting Gun in the UK did an article on regulating ejectors written by a chap who works for Truelock and Harris (if I recall it correctly). If SG do back issues it was a two page guide with pictures for each stage and may be available if you contact them. I pass my copies on unfortunately or I would gladly send it to you.

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/sporting-gun-home

The Bongo
This info is really much appreciated...I am going to contact them...thank you kindly again...I really want to rectify this situation since it is good to have a rifle working optimally...I know some people recon you do not need ejectors, but the rifle /shotgun has ejectors and I want them to work..it will give me more knowledge as well.
Regards

Gert

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross