Need vs Want

Go hunting soon!

I would go hunting.......

But buy the gun if you want it, deep down it fits a need somewhere.

When I read the OP, I can't help but think you're either getting an amazingly low price on Buff/Ele, or you're paying too much for rifles! Drop $5k into a 505 and you'll have a heck of a stick - so if you're getting Buff or Ele for $5k, please let me know where, as I'll go every year!!!

I do often say "don't have so many kids, such you can't afford to feed them," but my safes are testament to the fact I don't live as I preach. But... Again, as it seems you're able to make repeat trips, then buying a new rifle really only means a delay in the next hunt, rather than a true replacement. I HAVE, however, changed my habit of taking different species with different rifles, to attempting to stack up as many memories onto two rifles as possible. Ultimately, I want to hand my grandson (since my son already has his own custom rifles) "my rifle" someday with an album of photos of myself and his grandmother hauling it around the world.

Do you want to collect guns or trophies ... I like trophies! Go hunting!

Cowboy 5K should pay for a Buff or Tuskless tag, still gotta get there.

Yeah - seems like that "gotta get there part" soaks up a pretty big portion on total cost.

I'm a gun collector as much as I am a big game trophy collector or hunter - the way tag systems work out for any given species, a guy should spend a lot more time shooting than they actually do killing with a rifle (or shotgun or handgun or bow...), so I tend to buy the guns I want to own, then figure out later which ones I want to hunt with.

By the sounds of it dear chap its a want. I for one would take any of the battery you have and hunt once again. Remember be afraid of the man with one rifle for he knows how to use it.

I hunting soon, have a Buff and Eland hunt planned fall of 2017, hope to use my double on the Buff and bring my 400H&H for the Eland and a scoped backup for Buff.

Shot a really nifty 505 Gibbs the other day, which started an itch that is tuff to reach. In the safe I have a 400H&H which I have used to shoot Buff, a 458 Lott which I have shot Buff and a 1905 Gibbs 450NE which I have shot a Tuskless with.
This is a moronic question to ask this forum as most will say scratch the itch, but with the guns that I have putting together another gun is the cost of another Buff or a Tuskless.
Do I need a bigger gun??
Ok first off we desperately need more information and some pictures!

1. Details as to make and model and any special custom options on the 505 Gibbs you shot.
2. Brand and pics of the 400 H&H.
3. Brand and pics of the 458 Lott.
4. Absolutely cannot take this thread any further with all the details and several pics of that 1905 Gibbs 450NE!!!

Finally I understand, I have two 505 Gibbs and have hunted with both. Gotta love the caliber and cartridge;)

A good friend of mine is a Gunsmith that gets lots of custom work in his shop. He happened to have a 505 that he was filing in new sights and asked if I would shoot it for him. This gun has been to Africa numerous times and has accounted for many Eles. It is built on a Granite Mt Magnum Action a 24" barrel and a good steady piece of French Walnut.
My 400H&H and 458Lott I'm sorry I have no pictures but they are two peas from the same pod. Both guns started out as new SC Win mod 70s. The 400 as a 375 than re-barreled to 400H&H, the 458Lott was a 458win then the chamber was re-cut and the magazine and ejector worked to accommodate the longer cartridge. Both gun's LOP were extended to 14.5"s, Ebony plugs to cover the cross pins and the cheek pieces were rasped off.
My Gibbs 450 was made in 1905 and sports 28" barrels and started life as a Webley Screw Grip Barreled action. This gun has been re-stocked at some point in it's life .

Attachments

• IMG_0361.jpg
    IMG_0361.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 77
Last edited by a moderator:
Sell the 400 H&H and the 458Lott and buy the 505 Gibbs and take the 450 Double and 505 and go hunting.

I really HATE to mention this; but you could sell something to buy it....I mean after all you must have something you dont need (Kidney, Lung, old deer rifle?)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy76

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross