Need assistance identifying Winchester M70 .375 H&H

.416 Rigby

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
NRA, SCI, Dallas Safari Club, African Safari Club, Ruffed Grouse Society, Wild Sheep Foundation
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Argentina, United States
I recently bought a used Winchester M70 .375 H&H in excellent condition. It is a post '64 controlled round feed rifle with a 24" barrel marked "Super Express". The floorplate is marked "Custom Express". Serial # is G1XXX. The stock is very nicely figured and is oil finished in a reddish tone. There is a rosewood forend tip and the checkering is very nicely done by hand in a wraparound configuration. There is an island 3 blade express rear sight with a hooded barrel band front and the front sling swivel is a barrel band as well, with a Howell type rear swivel. The workmanship is excellent in every respect. The bolt and follower are jewelled and the action is super slick with a crisp 3.5 lb trigger. There are two cross bolts and it is glass bedded. The metal is finished in a matte blue. magazine capacity is 3 rounds and it shoots quite well, with perfect reliability and excellent accuracy. The rifle is definitely a "keeper".

The rifle came with an EAW claw mount and an older model Swarovski 1.5-6x42 30mm scope.

The rifle was on consignment in a local gun shop and they had little information about the it, other than advising the stock is from Winchester as well. It is a classic express rifle and perfectly executed in every detail, with a high level of fit and finish. I bought it for a ridiculously low price.

Can anyone identify this rifle? Is it from the Winchester Custom Shop? Approximately what is it's age and value?

Thanks in advance for your input and expertise.

Won't you have better luck with this information by writing the Museum in Cody Wy.

IIRC it's the Buffalo Bill Museum but I'm not sure of the name. Do a Gogle search.They have all documentation on older Winnies.

That is almost certainly out of the Custom Shop, I'd guess. You can get a lot of information on post-64 Model 70s for a small fee on the Internet via Googling Blue Book of Gun Values, Steve Fjestad's reference book site. The serial number is a pretty good way to check the date on recent guns and you can compare that to what was offered in specific years. If you strike a blank in that regard, I might be able to send you a list by PM.

Norm Solberg
___

I recently bought a used Winchester M70 .375 H&H in excellent condition. It is a post '64 controlled round feed rifle with a 24" barrel marked "Super Express". The floorplate is marked "Custom Express". Serial # is G1XXX. The stock is very nicely figured and is oil finished in a reddish tone. There is a rosewood forend tip and the checkering is very nicely done by hand in a wraparound configuration. There is an island 3 blade express rear sight with a hooded barrel band front and the front sling swivel is a barrel band as well, with a Howell type rear swivel. The workmanship is excellent in every respect. The bolt and follower are jewelled and the action is super slick with a crisp 3.5 lb trigger. There are two cross bolts and it is glass bedded. The metal is finished in a matte blue. magazine capacity is 3 rounds and it shoots quite well, with perfect reliability and excellent accuracy. The rifle is definitely a "keeper".

The rifle came with an EAW claw mount and an older model Swarovski 1.5-6x42 30mm scope.

The rifle was on consignment in a local gun shop and they had little information about the it, other than advising the stock is from Winchester as well. It is a classic express rifle and perfectly executed in every detail, with a high level of fit and finish. I bought it for a ridiculously low price.

Can anyone identify this rifle? Is it from the Winchester Custom Shop? Approximately what is it's age and value?

Thanks in advance for your input and expertise.

I'd say its out of the Custom Shop before they closed down.
I have two - one in .375 and the other is a .458. The wood on both is beautiful.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg