Hunting reports
Africa
Date: July 6th - July 11th
PH: Isaac
Driver: John
Property owner/host/PH: Phillip Hennings
Rifle: 338 Federal
Ammo: 200 grain federal trophy bonded tipped, 12 ga
Animals hunted: oryx, wart hog, red hartebeest, jackal, mountain zebra, Guinea foul, geese, baboon

Overall rating: A+

Finally made it back to Africa! My son and I arrived in Namibia after a 20 hour flight originating in DC on Ethiopian Airlines. Isaac was just outside the customs both waiting with a smile. Both of our bags had arrived so a quick stop to get a SIM card, pick up our rifle from the police and off we go. Maybe 30 minutes total from stepping onto Namibia soil to off to the lodge. Phillip greeted us upon arrival at the lodge. He had a plan ready. Cake and coffee and off to the shooting range to insure our scope was sighted in and for my son to shoot Phillip’s 458 Lott. He had just graduated high school and wanted to hunt wart hog with the Lott. We took a few shots and hopped onto the high rack to take a game drive. After seeing oryx, blue wildebeest, spring buck, kudu, steinbok, birds of all colors and sizes we headed back to the lodge while watching an amazing Namibia sunset.

Day 1: Awake before the alarm went off. This was going to be a day like no other. We had hunted plains game before, but this morning we were headed after the king of the jungle. See Phillip had a call from another PH who needed someone to hunt a full grown male lion who had crossed the river into Namibia and started eating cattle. So that was going to be my son. We quickly ate, loaded up the truck, and off to Windhoek to get the proper license. A quick for the paperwork and off to track a lion. Upon arrival at that farm several community farms had gathered to hunt the same lion. After much discussion we left and returned to Phillips ranch. No lion hunting. Although it was disappointing, it certainly gave us the bug to someday hunt dangerous game!

Lion hunting is special! Make a plan and go!
I can hardly wait for this, another father son adventure in Namibia!

Day 2:
Off to the mountains for Hartman zebra. We jumped into the truck where the heater would keep us warm as we drove from the lodge in the direction of the steep mountains with lots of rocks. I think zebra like rocks. Big and small all around. We jumped on the high rack once the truck speeds were slow and started glassing for zebra. None on this mountain, non on that mountain. Then after about an hour there they are running through the valley as far away as you can see. We quickly drive to a ridge and bail out to start tracking. We find their tracks and off we go. Isaac is amazing and the excitement is high. Over the hills and around the rocks we go. Up and down. 1.5 miles later we can hear clicking of hooves below us. I sneak up to an outcropping in the rocks and look over. 2 stallion! 7 and 10 yards away. Bang roars the 338 federal, zebra down and I didn’t even need shooting sticks. Zebra are big. Smiles all around. Isaak calls for John to bring the truck. Remember I said rocks everywhere. Isaak, John, and shorty spend the next two hours getting the truck to the zebra. Now it’s off hunting again for what ever is around the next corner. Turns out to be a herd of red hartebeest. They were in the move when we started out stalk. Within 30 minutes we had caught up to them. Just one more ravine. No big bulls. Into the next ravine. There’s a big Isaak declared Isaak on the next hill side 300 meters. My son gets into position and boom rings out the 325 wsm and then again. Reload and over to check for blood. We find blood and Isaak is in hot pursuit. Up the hill, down the hills we go. When the trail crosses the road I jump into the truck with John and Canaan and Isaak stay on the track. A few minutes later boom and the trophy is ready to head towards the salt. Off or some lunch. And boy was it good!

The afternoon was more of the same. Oryx here, spring buck there, and warthog zipping along. We approached a lake and seen a few baboons near the water. After a short stalk a big old male was seen sitting on a rock up on the ridge. Shooting prone off a bipod the 338 federal collects another trophy for the salt.

Day 3: We have decided to focus on warthog. After struggling not to chase a million other animals we have decided to walk between two lakes. After a half hour hike all the sudden there is a warthog. Huge warthog, I really think he couldn’t see me around those huge tusk. I’m trying to get my son attention. He had wanted to kill a warthog as his graduation present with Phillips 458 Lott. Lol. Unfortunately, by the time I got his attention the hog was running away. Day 3 ended.

Day 4: we were itching to collect more trophies today. Off the mountain we go. It’s foggy this morning as we drove away. Isaak doesn’t like the fog. Can’t see 100 yards. After about an hour we are in the big mountains and the fog has lifted. As every day, there are different animals running left and right. First a gigantic rabbit, then a stein buck, gems buck here, and kudu there. As we crested a ridge Isaak spotted a heard of gems buck and the stalk was on. We caught up with them and at 420 meters the 338 federal sends another trophy to the salt. We load up the trophy and head down the ridge. There’s a warthog, goes the sticks and boom. 338 federal sends another trophy to the salt. What a morning this is turning out to be. Around the bend and there is a jackal out in the grass. It runs a ways and stops to look back. Boom the 338 federal sends another trophy to the salt. What a morning. We head back for a great pizza and a short rest. While at the lodge we get one of Phillip’s shotguns and head off to do some wing shooting. Not 10 minutes from the lodge we see a heard of gemsbuck. A short stalk and the 458 Lott sends another trophy to the salt. Off we go again. After much shooting we managed to collect a handful of Guinea fowl. A perfect afternoon to end our trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.