NAMIBIA: From The Smallest To The Greatest

Crossroads to Etosha.
Waterberg plateu in the back ground.
On waterberg plateou there was the largest german colonial battle in German southwest Africa under command of Lothar Von Trotta, against Herero warriors led by Samuel Maharero.
Today there is a war memorial, and nature reserve.
I took a mental note, to visit this place on first opportunity.

We passed the crossroads, left Waterberg behind and proceeded to Etosha.

1653647677854.png

Etosha!
1653647780206.png

1653647840686.png

1653648311009.png

Nature reserve since 1907. National park since 1967.
The name Etosha is from Oshidonga word meaning "Great White Place" referring to the Etosha pan.
Etosha pan, visible on above map is a salt and mineral plain, and forms the major part of park. On few spotting places, spectacular view to this large plain is possible.

Majority of park is not acceable to tourists, but about 15-20% is. And it is the best part. of bush, and waterholes, and grass plains.

As per rules, getting out of car, is not allowed. Driving off road is not allowed, vehicles to be on the road at all times.

There are natural waterholes, but also artificial ones. Some of the artificial ones were built during time of Peter Stark, famous Etosha ranger and game keeper (former poacher and former farm foreman, and german elite riding school horseback rider)

The game drives are done by road, from waterhole to waterhole and by following the similar map, as attached above.

As the animals are used to toursits and vehcles, they dont react to cars, and cameras.
They are crossing the road and very calm. Or just grazing near the road.

Entrance to park reminds me of Jurrasic park, and opens with sunup.
Gate closes at sundown.
So, the toursit who stay in lodges out of the part, must be out before sunset.
However, there are camping and lodging options inside the park.

Also, some of the waterholes are lit with reflector to present a better view at night life of the animals on the waters. This is in vicinity of lodges, and restaurants.

We stayed at Etosha Village. Where lodging is excellent. This is outside of park, few miuntes drive to park gate.
1653649647218.png

1653649684799.png

Bush is all around the lodges. And kudus are in the bush.
During first night a kudu cow came near the lodge. I flashed the light to her, and she run away.

1653649768668.png

1653649797918.png

1653649835354.png

1653649868207.png

Bar and nearby restaurant.
Food is excellent.
There is always some of the bush meat on menu. Kudu, zebra, wildebeest, impala.
On a side note this is not hunting area, it is a national park.

It reminded me of the writing of Peter Stark, gamekeeper, that they were not allowed to shoot for meat.
So, often they resourced to cut a piece of meat from fresh lion kill, for their pot.

Now, I beleive, tourist food is provided either from hunting farms, or from market that gets the meat from hunting farms. (maybe I am wrong on that one, but it wouldnt be the first time when the non hunting venue, is provided by meat from hunters, and for which non-hunting, or anti hunting tourists have no idea)

Last edited:
Is it like lobsters in a tank in a restaurant where you get to pick the one you want?

For that, guests would be required to bring their own 375... (I wouldnt mind) :cool:

Last edited:
Thats true, but not being aware of this detail, I left my gun on the farm! This is what happens when travelling the world unprepared!

I will need a refreshment course, with you asap!

1653654170801.png

1653654327861.png

1653654372839.png

1653654418338.png

A lion family. Lion, 2 lionesses, cubs.
Jackal in the background of first photo.

I will need a refreshment course, with you asap!
Indeed sir!

In a role reversal, I shall bring my 9.3x62, you should bring your 375 H&H and we should go and hunt pigs. Why pigs, because bacon, my friend, bacon. (Well known fact, bacon tastes better when shot which something bigger than 9mm...)

In a role reversal, I shall bring my 9.3x62, you should bring your 375 H&H and we should go and hunt pigs. Why pigs, because bacon, my friend, bacon. (Well known fact, bacon tastes better when shot which something bigger than 9mm...)
I think we are at the beggining of wonderful friendship!

Appropos bacon.
We had in camp eland kebabs on stick, grilled. The recepie is: a fillet of eland meat, rolled with a fillet of bacon. Meat rolls are then put on sticks, and seasoned with spices, for a 24 hours, and then grilled.
Bacon is definetly required!
Photo is from internet, just give you an idea.

1653663421133.png

I love those photo's @mark-hunter what kind of equipment do you use?

I love those photo's @mark-hunter what kind of equipment do you use?
Canon G3x.
This one is very good - for simpleton like me, but not too fancy.
Additinal equipment: tripod.
For good photo, tripod is a must, especially when sitting in a blind over waterhole.

The tripod is also compatible with my 100x scope, that I use for spotting the targets on the range, during training sessions.

For the purpose of the presentation of this camera capability, I took this picture by mobile phone. Herebelow are two rhinos at waterhole, at 100 meters. (I knew somebody would eventually ask this question, not only on this forum)

The photos ar really HD, 5MB each, and for this forum I had to reduce the size a bit. But when I will be making album of this trip, will be in full HD.

1653664921096.png

Last edited:
In a certain sense, and in line with the title of this thread, "From the smallest to the greatest", even the visit to Etosha went in similar spirit.

From steenbok, to the Black Rhino.

Elephants were shy that day. We did not see the elephants.
But I know, sooner or later I will meet with them. At least with a tuskless in Zimbabwe.

On the edge of Etosha Pan

1653665747020.png

Thousands of birds:
1653665862537.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LavadaMacG

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.