NAMIBIA: BOWHUNT: Namibia, Here We Come!

Dee S

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Nimrod Rifle Club, DSC, SCI, NRA
Hunted
Texas, Wyoming, Kansas, Alaska, Namibia, Botswana, Northern Cape, Alberta, Natal, Zambia
Six years ago, as a bribe, I asked my youngest daughter what it would take for her to "not" pursue a chance to be on the Peanut Court. That's our local pageant and it's a very expensive and time consuming affair. Our oldest daughter was on the court at that time and between the cost of the dress and traveling to about 15 parades around south Texas over the course of a year, my wife and I had no desire for the youngest to follow that path. I told her I'd take her on a hunt as an option versus the court. I was thinking an elk hunt in Colorado, maybe pronghorn, or even caribou as a wild option. Nope, she tells me she wants to hunt a Kudu. Really? Did not see that coming.
Three years ago we really began to pursue it and the research began. Now, after I've googled everything I think you can possible google on hunting Africa and working countless hours of overtime in order to finance the trip, the research and planning phase has ended and tomorrow, well tomorrow the real journey begins. We are all packed and ready to leave the house at 0900, driving 4 hours from our home just SE of San Antonio to Houston (IAH). From there we fly 14 hours to Doha, Qatar on Qatar Airways. After a 9 hour layover, and hopefully a little sight seeing in Doha, we take the last and final 10 hour leg straight into Windhoek, Namibia.
We will be hunting with Roy Van Der Merwe and his Otjandaue Safaris for 10 days. We have a total of 9 animals on the list, her Kudu being at the top. If all goes as planned, and that rarely does, we will be bowhunting as our first option.
The roller coaster of emotions these past couple of weeks has been crazy, not only for me, but for my wife, my daughter, and my co-workers who have all had to put up with me through it all. Tonight, I think I am ready for tomorrow. I can't think of anything I have forgotten, but yet, I can't help but think that I have forgotten some detail, whether large or small, surely I've forgotten some thing?
Wish us luck, keep us in your prayers, and I'll try to keep you posted along the way.

Dee and Emily

IMG_2064.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
This will be a fantastic, memorable event for both you and your daughter. Safe travels and looking forward to lots of photos and your report.

Exciting times!! Enjoy and we look forward to the report!

The best of luck to you both. Great bribe.
As a life experience I think Emily won!

Lots of pictures for the hunt report.

On the road with my hunting buddy.

Good luck and enjoy each minute with your daughter.

Wish you the best, enjoy !

Great stuff, safe travels!

Whew! Thought they were going to measure the two bow cases. They are way over 65”. That would have cost me. I just told them in a of fact tone, “you’ve never had to measure them before!” They just looked at each other and nodded me through. But they did weigh everything including carry on bags. Plane is full they said was the reason. They had no issues with the bow cases themselves as far as checked luggage. No special requirements. And there was no one inline in front of us at TSA. Breezed right through, no problems.
IMG_1913.JPG

What a great father-daughter trip. Keep the report coming and take plenty of pics! I’m one month out with bow to Namibia. What bows are you shooting?

Have a great trip.

Just landed in Doha after 14 hours in the air in Economy. Wasn’t too bad. Food was pretty good, staff was great, bathrooms clean and roomy, plenty of entertainment in each seat, leg room ok, only minor,but common issue, was the narrow seats. I’m broad shouldered and I’ve never had enough shoulder room on any airlines or plane, unless a seat is empty next to me. Next flight isn’t nearly as crowded, so I should have that empty seat next to me.
They’re (Qatar Air) putting us up in a hotel and we’re waiting on the shuttle now. We plan on getting cleaned up and then going shopping before the next and final leg in nine hours.
We packed four Bowtech bows, a primary and secondary for us both. RPM360 and Carbon Overdrive for me. Eva Shockey and Assassin for her.

Enjoy the cultural experience.

Bushwkr........................you have a beautiful young child there...............and she Won................deserves more that the peanut court, and got it. Please share some fotos and reports.................as an old grampa with 5 grandaughters............love to see them learn about nature, where food comes from, and where we fit in nature's chain....................Best of luck......................Flatwater Bill

Left the airport, dropped our bags at the hotel, went to the Souq Waqif market, ate the local food there, did some shopping. Wife wanted a scarf. Got some stuff for the girls. Went back to hotel, caught a nap, showered, changed clothes, and returned to the airport. About to board for last leg to Windhoek. Enjoyed our stay in Doha. Very safe. Friendly people. Super nice airport. Worth the visit. Now on to the hunt.
FD519741-F586-4ACB-BF04-07DE69935EDF.jpg
IMG_1924.JPG
IMG_1925.JPG

We tried three items on that list, not sure which ones. Not bad, we ate it. Think two had a bird we hope was chicken and the third had lamb.

Good luck! You are a brave man to try local cuisine in Doha with a 10 hour flight ahead of you! Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jessica87G

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross