My Three Hour Visit to John Rigby

A little information I had forgotten about. The Jim Corbett rifle which most of you know is owned by Rigby now and is on display. A hunter/shooter from Florida (not me) is having Rigby build him an exact replica. All the scratches, scars, worn checkering. I was shown the rifle, it has a little more work to go before ready to be delivered. The rifle looks worn and fairly well used just like the Corbett original. Marc told me it takes a lot more time and work to make a new rifle look old than it does an old rifle look new. He did not say how much the client is paying for this somewhat unusual order!!!
Seen the Corbett rifle at their booth last year at DSC, very cool piece of history. I am sending my resume to Rigby right now as I believe I could be a value added employee helping them scratch up new rifles and taking away the new gun smell for their eccentric clients that desire this customization. I would think that buying a new rifle that is pre beat up is about like wanting a child but marrying a woman that was already pregnant. Kinda takes all the fun out of getting to the desired end game.
Cheers,
Cody

Seen the Corbett rifle at their booth last year at DSC, very cool piece of history. I am sending my resume to Rigby right now as I believe I could be a value added employee helping them scratch up new rifles and taking away the new gun smell for their eccentric clients that desire this customization. I would think that buying a new rifle that is pre beat up is about like wanting a child but marrying a woman that was already pregnant. Kinda takes all the fun out of getting to the desired end game.
Cheers,
Cody
There are most likely many members on this site that would volunteer for such harsh duty!!!

Sounds like you had a great trip Sierraone. Thanks for sharing your experience.

To those considering going through London. There is so much to do or see. Even if you don't have a few days to spend, just scheduling your connecting flights so you have extra time in transit allows you to do a lot.

Cheers,
Cody
Your first job as a new hire at the shop will be to sweep up the bloody butts and coffee cups off the ground at the entry!!!!:rolleyes::D:eek:

When Rigby went to CA and the then-owner tried to apply modernity to the timeless craft of gunmaking (using a space-age (literally) adhesive to join the tubes, etc.) I was thoroughly put off. It's a pleasure to see that the firm has since recovered its former glory.

Thanks for posting. Sounds like three hours very well spent.

Dirty little secret about that place. The real Rigby is fake and the fake rigby is real! If you're not confused yet I'll try harder. :)

The "Real" Rigby Gunmakers was sold to a group in California USA that was naive enough to think that the world would pay UK prices for guns built by Merkel in Germany and finished by surfer dudes in CA. They made some guns, nobody bought them, you see them for sale online all the time. Their most fatal flaw? They bought the company, ledgers, goodwill and then registered the name in USA. The buyers FORGOT to register the name in, I dunno...say...THE UK!

So a "fake" Rigby sets up shop in the UK. They own legal claim to the name. They make better guns. Next thing you know, the fake Rigby has all the credibility and nobody wants anything to do with the CA legitimate heirs.

The work I've seen coming out of Rigby in the UK is quite good and the prices are not insane for their magazine rifles. I'm happy to see they are successful. Whatever you do, if you buy a Rigby of modern manufacture, make sure its a fake, not a real one! :)

Last edited:
Dirty little secret about that place. The real Rigby is fake and the fake rigby is real! If you're not confused yet I'll try harder. :)

The "Real" Rigby Gunmakers was sold to a group in California USA that was naive enough to think that the world would pay UK prices for guns built by Merkel in Germany and finished by surfer dudes in CA. They made some guns, nobody bought them, you see them for sale online all the time. Their most fatal flaw? They bought the company, ledgers, goodwill and then registered the name in USA. The buyers FORGOT to register the name in, I dunno...say...THE UK!

So a "fake" Rigby sets up shop in the UK. They own legal claim to the name. They make better guns. Next thing you know, the fake Rigby has all the credibility and nobody wants anything to do with the CA legitimate heirs.

The work I've seen coming out of Rigby in the UK is quite good and the prices are not insane for their magazine rifles. I'm happy to see they are successful. Whatever you do, if you buy a Rigby of modern manufacture, make sure its a fake, not a real one! :)

I didn't know any of that...

Great information!

Outstanding video! What a history, whether it is the Corbett rifle, .416 caliber or the Rising Bite Double. Unbelievable craftsmanship. I hope my grand kids can see and understand this someday.

One day when i'm all grown up...
some of these... :S Dollar::S Dollar::S Dollar:
some of these...:W A Rifle::W Shotgun:
and many of these...:D Beer Bottle::D Beer Draft::D Booze::D Cheers::D Drunk:
I had been to London five times previously for 1-4 days, but never had the historical gun shops as my destination! I finally grew up at 63!!! And I had the money too, of course!!! Money seems to always get in the way of many things in life!!!

The guns on the left above are an assortment of used guns for sale. They vary greatly in brand, type, etc. The middle group are all Rigbys and they are priced, but not for sale. They are for customers look at and handle. Four are Big Games with different grade wood. One is a London Best. The blond looking rifle on the left is a client's special order rifle. Marc stated that these gun are for sale only if he were going to lose a sell by not allowing a customer to buy. The guns on the right are Rigby Museum guns and not for sale.

Marc said he had 4.5 years of orders. Had sold over 400 Big Games since moving back to London. Had sold only 180 total in the history of Rigby prior to moving back to London. They have started producing the Rising Bite double again. Starting price for those of you interested, $97,000.00. They have started to put more emphasis on producing Rising Bite double rifles and shotguns. With that kind of price, time will tell how successful they will be.
$95,000 will only get you a basic shotgun at Holland and Holland. I was talking to a nice well spoken you bloke that was having his shotgun serviced. Mummy would only let him have the economy Madeleine £60,000.
A bolt action 270 Winchester £39,000 starting price.
If you want the ultimate a royal double in your choice of caliber will set you back £250,000.
Clothing was also over the to with £250 for a pair of kid leather shooting gloves.
Beautiful to look at but out of my league. All I could afford was a few packets of ear plugs in a bowl on the counter. They were free.
Even tho we were dressed casually t huge staff treated us the same as an owner of a H&H.
BOB

Sierra..............thanks for sharing about your visit. What a great time you had! Rigby prices are out of my range, but still less than half of Boss Gun prices. I own a William Evans......maybe you'll give us a report on a visit there as well someday.....many thanks.................FWB

Yes, thanks for sharing this! Beautiful rifles! Way out of my rifle budget unless I win the Lottery, but then again so are Ferraris’? Still enjoy looking at the fine craftsmanship though. Maybe I’ll find a used pair of Rigby shooting socks in a Thrift store someday!

Thanks for sharing. Last time I was in London, Rigby was not up and running. I had a very nice visit to Holland and Holland and was very impressed how well I was treated when it was very obvious I was not going to be one of their "real" customers (I did buy a book). Did you set an appointment with Rigby before your visit?

Thanks for sharing. Last time I was in London, Rigby was not up and running. I had a very nice visit to Holland and Holland and was very impressed how well I was treated when it was very obvious I was not going to be one of their "real" customers (I did buy a book). Did you set an appointment with Rigby before your visit?
I called them by phone about one to two weeks before my visit and gave them the day I would be there. And they approved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross