My Studio VS African Studio A Match Up... COSTS

I am with you Mr. 16gauge. The flat skins done by Highveld stink like if they were stored wet; they stink so bad, that I do not know what to do with them.

PARA45 you can get them RE- Tanned here if they are juts done and not over a year old.

Dennis, thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately, they are about 3 years old already. Is there anything else I could do to try and get the smell out of them???

I won't lose any sleep over it

I've made my decision for a taxidermist for my next ten mounts and for everything beyond that I really couldn't care less if I tried
Thank you for NOT saying, "I could care less", as so many folks often do. :p:D:eek::rolleyes:

I did some homework on pricing a leopard full mount. The places I checked with in Namibia had very attractive pricing. Then I found out the shipping costs - wow! I am now very happy to be (hopefully) using my taxidermist close to home. All in all the end result was surprisingly close, but I would rather pay for domestic work rather than international shipping any day.

Can't believe this thread is still active. God willing I'll be back in Africa next year for buffalo and plains game. Dennis I will contact you next year for a quote , I'd be interested to see you numbers. Although I'm thinking of adding giraffe to my list. That in itself will surely put me over the top as compared to what Relive quoted me.

Thanks Johnny, Till you get the shipping and crating charges for a giraffe mount.
With me it would be FREE ! To you in PA. easy drive easy delivery.

Thanks Johnny, Till you get the shipping and crating charges for a giraffe mount.
With me it would be FREE ! To you in PA. easy drive easy delivery.
I'm in New York but by the time your done I should be north west of Atlanta

LOL Headed to North Carolina and South Carolina and 4 deliveries outside ATLANTA. 12 bears in the trailer the 12th of Aug.

so whats coppersmith and SSI? I am new and I am booking my first hunt so I am completely clueless lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
@huntinlabs coppersmith and SSI are both customs clearing brokers. They are an arguably necessary charge for you to receive your taxidermy once it arrives at customs in the USA. Both are well regarded in the industry.

Coppersmith is about $500 a shipment and do a great job.

SSI is around $1000-$1200 and they would say they do much more. They coordinate permit process and freight in Africa. Assist with getting prices. More consultative. More involved in the overseas elements of the process.

I personally do not get value out of the additional offerings available for additional costs so I use Coppersmith with great satisfaction.

These services are just some of the many unforeseen expenses of taxidermy and the hunting process. Be advised that it costs a LOT to get your trophies home and frankly getting less mounted saves little. The variable costs of taxidermy are relatively low and the fixed costs for the overall shipment are high. Suggest considering going all-in price be damned or going with no taxidermy at all. The middle ground results often with much paid out for little reward. (permit processing, crating, logistics, more permitting, customs, ...all examples of relatively fixed costs that don't go down much if you get less taxidermy)

SSI does a great job IMO. I used them on my Namibian hunt they are real people and are easy to talk to and are very efficient. They certainly have a place again in my opinion when it comes to staying abreast on legal matters affecting hunters and importing trophies from more remote areas around the world. Are they more expensive yes, but there expertise can be invaluable if things go wrong. And if things go wrong I guarantee you won't mind spending the extra money. That being said I am currently using Coppersmith to import 2 trophies I took on a mini safari in South Africa I felt it was not necessary to spend the extra money on this trip. Next year God willing I'll be back in Namibia to settle the score on leopard. SSI will undoubtedly be my importer.

All your feedback is invaluable and thank you for sharing.
Below are the facts that will bring the situation of comparison into laser focus.
By managing the entire export and import process, we are in control and able to save you anywhere from $100-$300 alone with consolidated shipping so what are really getting for your money?
Today I will be attending a board meeting for the US Delegation of CIC, fighting for conservation and hunting rights globally. SO, WHO DO YOU SUPPORT?
Screen Shot 2016-11-30 at 11.10.02 AM.png

The variable costs of taxidermy are relatively low and the fixed costs for the overall shipment are high ....

BRILLIANT ... bloody ... BRILLIANT!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EvieSchref

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,