I own a SilencerCo Omega 36m and have grown use to hunting with it. Hope I can bring it to SA in May as it will be strange hunting without it

They are a good tool for sure. In my former life, I definitely saw the advantages of using one, and I did use one. In my current life, I have no desire or need for one. As I prefer classic firearms, I find suppressors/moderators ugly. As far as recoil, I am a big boy and shoot within my limits. As far as noise, I can just turn off my hearing aids if I want silence. :LOL:

Safe shooting

They are a good tool for sure. In my former life, I definitely saw the advantages of using one, and I did use one. In my current life, I have no desire or need for one. As I prefer classic firearms, I find suppressors/moderators ugly. As far as recoil, I am a big boy and shoot within my limits. As far as noise, I can just turn off my hearing aids if I want silence. :LOL:

Safe shooting

Yep.

Used a few in my past life.. loved using them.. hated maintaining them... (the MP5SD in particular was a real PIA)...but honestly never considered them for hunting until recently..

they're definitely ugly.. but so is my synthetic stocked rem 600 and most of the other stuff in the safe.. and I'm not exactly cute either... so.. it'll probably look just fine considering the company it will be keeping... :D

• Haha
Reactions: MTA
Dave, thanks for posting that killer deal on that Resonator K. I have that can on my Mcwhorter 7mm08, and don't let the size fool you. It does a great job of suppression and noise reduction anyway. Love the quick detach system that makes it easy to move around. You're going to love it.

Woo Hoo!! New suppressor day X2! The Ultra 5 and MG7 .458 just arrived at their forever home.

Curious to know how that MG7 .458 works out for you... please give us a report once you have some trigger time with it...

Im also looking at a .458 suppressor... Ive got a .458 SOCOM that I use on hogs that could use a little taming I think.. Silencer Central has a Coastal X .458/450 on sale 50% off right now... $325....

I have no expectation that a suppressed .458 SOCOM will actually be "quiet".. but even a little bit of improvement would be appreciated.. that sucker will ring your bell pretty hard firing multiple shots from inside a big steel box (deer hunting stand/blind).. and recoil is pretty stout on multiple shot strings despite all of the added weight I've already got on the gun (NV optic, additional battery pack, etc)..

I have a Silencerco Harvester 300 and a Silencerco Hybrid 46. I love shooting suppressed. Yes, it adds length and weight but IMHO it is worth it. I became a believer after stalking here in the UK with them.

After using my cans extensively and shooting several others, I'm convinced an over barrel suppressor is the best design. It provides a nice combo of effectively reducing report (dB) and recoil, while only adding modestly to overall length. Over-barrel suppressors are difficult to find in the US. There are a bunch of these available in Europe/UK. Note that suppressors are much less expensive in Europe/UK than in the US - it's difficult to find one in the UK that costs more than £400 (US$520).

These are my favorites and I wish they were available in the US: https://www.freyr-devik.no/range (Featherweight 269). Note this can weighs only 9.5 oz, adds less than 6" to barrel length, yet still delivers 32dB plus in report reduction. I'm thinking of having my PH purchase one for me to use in 2024.

My Harvester rides on my 308 Win and does a terrific job of reducing report, recoil, and muzzle jump. I can watch the bullet impact the target with the Harvester installed. It also does a remarkable job reducing report and recoil on my 300 WM. It also can be used on my 6.5s and 223s with different front caps and direct thread inserts. But it is 9" long and weighs over 11 oz. On my 20" Bergara 308 it's manageable. On my 26" 300 WM you could simply reach out and knock your target over rather than shoot it.

The Hybrid 46 currently rides on my AR 450 BM but will also get a trial run on my 375 H&H, which I've had threaded and the barrel shortened to 23". It also is direct thread and multi-caliber. But it also is almost 8" long and weighs over 17 oz. @mdwest my Hybrid does a great job calming my 450 BM.

20210820_183921.jpg

Curious to know how that MG7 .458 works out for you... please give us a report once you have some trigger time with it...

Im also looking at a .458 suppressor... Ive got a .458 SOCOM that I use on hogs that could use a little taming I think.. Silencer Central has a Coastal X .458/450 on sale 50% off right now... $325....

I have no expectation that a suppressed .458 SOCOM will actually be "quiet".. but even a little bit of improvement would be appreciated.. that sucker will ring your bell pretty hard firing multiple shots from inside a big steel box (deer hunting stand/blind).. and recoil is pretty stout on multiple shot strings despite all of the added weight I've already got on the gun (NV optic, additional battery pack, etc)..

Will do. I don't have a .458 SOCOM, so my results won't be totally applicable, but I'll be trying it out on a lever action .44 mag, and eventually a 12.5 .350 Legend AR and my .375 Ruger. I'm in the process of ordering parts for the .350L, and my gunsmith is still fighting with the front sight on the Ruger, so it may be a while on those two. I don't expect that the stubby little MG7 is going to suppress big bores as well as my Nomad LT handles the small bores; (which, by the way, is absolutely giggle-inducing on a bolt gun) really just looking to knock it back to a reasonable level.

I haven't dealt with Silencer Central at all and have no knowledge of their products. $325 is a great price, unless it's absolute sh!t, but it is hard to buy a truly bad silencer now. Some other options to consider would be the Dead Air Primal, Griffin Bushwacker 46, and Silencerco Hybrid 46, but all of them cost more than the Coastal and MG7.

I got my MG7 from Hansohn Brothers for $350, but of course that deal was a year ago when I actually bought it. Not sure what the going rate on them is now, but I can absolutely recommend buying from Hansohn if you have a local SOT with reasonable transfer fees. Since you're in TX, Capitol Armory would also be an option. I believe they can also ship to your door.

Not sure if this is your first suppressor, or if your .458 is an AR, but if it is, you may have to do a little tuning to minimize gas blowback. As a lefty, I pretty much have to put an adjustable gas block on everything. YMMV, depending on your specific rifle. No need to go down that rabbit hole until you have a suppressor in-hand and get some rounds through it.

BTW, you're supposed to stick your muzzle outside of the box blind. ;)

Did a trial run with the MG7 today on my .44 lever gun. Just a little bit of plinking, so I can't say whether it had any effect on groups. I wouldn't call it quiet, but it's way quieter than I expected for such a short can with such a big hole in the middle of it. I was on private land, so I was able to take a couple shots without ear-pro, for science. Not something I'd make a habit of, but it really wasn't too bad at all. Overall, I'm satisfied so far. I may have to try it with .44 Special; it will probably be pretty quiet with a subsonic load.

One odd thing I noticed is that my POI is actually a bit higher with the can than without. I realize it's a barrel harmonics thing, but that's the first time I've seen a suppressor raise the POI.

Unfortunately, I didn't get time to try out the Ultra 5 today. Hopefully soon.

So, finally bit the bullet today...

If anyone else is thinking about getting a compact 30 caliber suppressor, Silencer Central has the Yankee Hill Resonator K on sale at 50% off right now... its a 5.5" can rated up to 300 RUM.. for $324 (normally $649).. when you buy a can from SC, they will do an NFA trust for you for free as well (most attorneys I have talked to about setting up an NFA trust will charge between $60 (online option) to $150 to do the work.. so that's a pretty nice savings as well..

We'll see how long the ATF takes to process the paperwork and for me to take possession.. but at $324 I didn't think I would find a better deal,.. YHM has been at the suppressor game for a while, has a good reputation, etc.. I figured it was a good jumping off point and a 30 cal can will cover everything I have in the safe that has a threaded barrel with the exception of the 350 legend and 458 SOCOM.. I just might have to invest in a few adapters for the smaller calibers (223/556)..
Please let us know how you like it.

I have a Resonator K, and it is superb.

I have a Resonator K, and it is superb.

Excellent to hear that feedback.

Hopefully it won’t take our wonderfully efficient federal government too terribly long to let mine out of jail.

My daughter is extremely sensitive to recoil and noise. So much so that it kept her from wanting any part of hunting. Suppressors make all the difference for her. She is 12 now and runs a 6.5 grendel with a silencerco harvester 300 on it. The flinch is gone and the gun is more than enough for the small deer here. I personally used to wear electronic hearing protection while hunting but find them a PITA, magnified wind noise and batteries always dead at the most inopportune moments. I now use a suppressor whenever I can. On my 280 ackley I run a rugged radiant ti. 45-70 with a hybrid 46. 6.5 creedmoor (for shame) with the radiant. They are quite expensive but the biggest problem is the overall length and the balance point on the rifle.

I put it off for years because of the wait. Now I’m hooked. I have a Swedish suppressor that I left in RSA and a KGM r 30 here in the states. I have several more waiting on approval. It’s a must have on my non dangerous game rifles.

it has made all the difference in the world for my stepdaughters. They would not be hunting if we didn’t have the suppressors.

My daughter is extremely sensitive to recoil and noise. So much so that it kept her from wanting any part of hunting. Suppressors make all the difference for her. She is 12 now and runs a 6.5 grendel with a silencerco harvester 300 on it. The flinch is gone and the gun is more than enough for the small deer here. I personally used to wear electronic hearing protection while hunting but find them a PITA, magnified wind noise and batteries always dead at the most inopportune moments. I now use a suppressor whenever I can. On my 280 ackley I run a rugged radiant ti. 45-70 with a hybrid 46. 6.5 creedmoor (for shame) with the radiant. They are quite expensive but the biggest problem is the overall length and the balance point on the rifle.
Howard Leight impact sport by Honeywell. Automatic shutoff feature preserves battery life like crazy. I hunted in mine for several days without issue. Directional hearing is excellent. Very good ear protection for little money.

Walker Razor is absolute trash. I wish I had not purchased them. Skip these as the directional is not there and the radio add ons are easily disconnected by unfamiliar users.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WandaDetwi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross