My first trip and mistakes were made

Glad you had a great first safari. Nice waterbuck! The time you spent with your father is priceless!

Your list of highlights/lowlights is good info for those who are thinking of going to Africa, and brings back memories for those of us that have been there:

1. Agreed. It is a looong flight.

2. Agreed again. On one trip if it wasn't for my "Meet and Greet" service I would have missed my flight from Joberg to Kimberly.

3. I've never needed or used Chapstick.

4. I've used a variety of guns and bullets. Bullet placement is most important, then bullet. I've had good success with Barnes TSX and TTSX, Nosler Accubonds and Ballistic Tips.

5. Agreed that Plains game animals are tough, but I've had a number of bang flops, and a couple of long trackings with improper placement. They say the vitals of many African animals are more foreword than our American animals. Study the Shot Placement Guides that Philip has here on AR.

6. Definitely agree! On my first trip we took a very enjoyable side trip to Kruger Park, and while in Zimbabwe, we spent a day in Victoria Falls where I walked along the falls, had an afternoon cruise on the Zambezi River and had dinner in the Victoria Falls Hotel.

7. Yes, phones are handy for pictures but should be on silent for all hunting.

8. Just about every trip that I made to Africa, I came home with more animals than I had on my "list." On my first trip I had 6 animals on my list, but came home with 9. My PH encouraged me to shoot more, but they became high on my list for my 2nd trip.

9. I have hunted for over 50 years, and the memories of many of those hunts have long faded. However, I have filled my house with taxidermy from many hunts each time I look at any of those mounts it brings back the memories of those hunts. I went with 3 friends on my first African hunt, but went by myself on all of my subsequent hunts. However Brickburn was in camp on my first hunt in Mozambique and we have some great memories from that hunt.

10. Bring enough gun is sound advise for any hunt, and especially for hunts where if you wound and loose an animal you are still required to pay the trophy fee for it.

Congratulations on a great hunt and lifetime memories with your dad.
Good points on the trip.

Congratulations on your hunt sounds like you had a great time!
Would be great to hear another story or two about your adventure.

They simply just were not the animal I had in my mind. They are however, very spooky with excellent eyesight. I'm sure had I hunted them it would have been a challenging hunt.
Interesting, I was not going to hunt them until I heard how hard they were to hunt. That's when it went on the list. It did turn out to be one of the more challenging hunts we had.

Thank you for the write up looking forward to hearing more about it

Congratulations

Last edited:
Never knew the name of that band until now. Great song. Thanks for sharing your adventures with us. Would like to see more pictures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!