My First Double Rifle Came From Santa This Year

To all, thanks for the flowers.
In response to popular demand, I took it to the range for some break-in shooting and it did well at 25 and 50 yards, but I could not see the red target bull at 100 yards and just wasted a couple of rounds. For those that say the first shot at game is the one that counts, here is the first 300 grain Hornady from the right barrel with the orange bead just under the red bull:

BTW, 300 grain hand loaded Barnes TSX shoot the same as the Hornady ammo.
I think it is ready for hogs and for woods deer.

I just cleaned the bores and found no copper fouling, so now it is ready for some serious barrel by barrel accuracy testing before shooting r & L for grouping.

Oh, by the way, shooting a double rifle is a hoot!

Attachments

• 2016-01-04 07.59.00.jpg
    2016-01-04 07.59.00.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 154
Last edited by a moderator:
CRS at some point I need to bring my Simson 405 to Texas and shoot some hogs with you:rolleyes:

Double are very addictive. Plus they make you want to stalk in much closer.

Enjoy your new rifle!!!

Dave,
I agree; matched doubles would be cool. I have a couple of hunting friends nearby that hunt with .45-70 double rifles and we could have an all double rifle hog hunt!
Here is a 140 pounder I took stalking with .405 last year:

My fave is to hunt them with dogs andtake turns shooting the bayed/ treed hog. Much more fun than sitting in a deer blind over a corn feeder and watching the frost melt.
Pix of a past hunt with huntmastyer riding his mule and handling the dogs and a days take - one hog each that day. The staff picks up the hogs in the field, bring to the camp, clean them, quarter them and drop the meat into your cooler; a great show to watch with a drink and a cigar!

I could put you up in my travel trailer (wifi, water, electricity, and hookups, so not roughing it) out behind the farm house so you would have privacy and not have to worry about stepping on the grandkids.

Attachments

• hanginghogs.jpg
    hanginghogs.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 138
  • mule.jpg
    mule.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 155
  • 2015-03-28 11.32.56.jpg
    2015-03-28 11.32.56.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
CRS will have to look at the schedule and see if when I can work in a few days and see if we can make this happen:)

Hunting hogs with dogs would be great, in 2013 on the eastern cape I shot my warthog with bushpig dogs. Spotted a huge old boar in a super thick
area and couldn't get him, my PH asked if I was up to trying something different? Well we went back to the lodge and picked up his dogs and went back out
and the race was on. Shot him with my 450NE double at 5 yards very exciting hunt to say the least.

warthog.jpg

Now that is a nice warthog! What did those tushes measure?

Also, you poor gun is brokenopen - did that bad piggy cause that?

Congrats... Enjoy :)

Crs
The tusks are 14 3/8 . After an exciting 1/2-3/4 mile chase was finally able to get a open shot in a small clearing from 5 yards. The PH said Please don't shoot the dogs:)

The one my wife shot this year was also a monster. It's tusks are 13 1/2 with what look like 2 inches rooted off. She made a great shot standing on her tip toes in the right ear out the left right through the brain housing group.

Those two will be kinda hard to top on future safari's.

Dave
warthog.jpg

Great hogs!
Saturday Feb 13 will be the first hunt with .my .405 double at the Boars Nest in OK. A group from the DWWC is going up and I plan to do the trophy boar hunt with the dogs to see how the .405 works on large hogs. Plus it is a blast to hunt them with hog dogs!
With luck, there will be pix posted by mid Feb.
Oh, btw, their camp house is free if you are hunting with us! :)

That's a beautiful double gun, and the 405 should be very effective on any critter that gets hit with it!
Looking forward to a range report!!

goe61
Thanks- I plan to try it on a hog or two this Saturday and hope to have a success picture to post.

Dave - great day at the boars Nest today - 8 hunters and 9 hogs.
One shot, one boar with my new .405 double - details when pix are available.

Crs - great news, very happy for you and your fellow hunters. Look forward to seeing the pictures and hearing about your hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SungHiggin

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg