My first 375

I like the 375 for when things don't go as planned. I killed a grizzly bear with my 300 Win Mag, if I were to hunt them again you can bet my 375 would get the nod.
Yeah, I'm of the persuasion that if I'm ever in doubt about taking the .375 it's coming along for the ride. It's certainly a have and not need thing. If I've got a .30-06 most of the places I'm headed it's fine save a large bear. I want to be 200% sure yogi isn't going to move again once the shooting stops. The if something goes sideways aspect of the larger rifles makes me warm and fuzzy.

I bought the rifle because I wanted a close shot gun with good effect and that creates decent blod trails. I still own a 30-06 that is my allround rifle.

My THREE SEVEN FIVE Ruger will be shipping 2 weeks from today so I should have it in 3 weeks. I always found and still do find common calibers boring having grown up around .30-30, .308 , .30-06's. I decided that Id never own those calibers as I like odd ball calibers and like to be different. I do own 2 .30-30's because I love lever guns but I stick to odd ball calibers.

I almost guarantee I am the only one around hunting with a .35 rem now and soon a .375 and one of the few with a .45-70 ss gg, my buddy hunts with one as well. Most are .30-06 or .308, probably 95% and 3% .303's or .30-30's which I understand. It's just not my taste.

I am going to shoot a 250 lbs mature whitetail with my .375 this fall, not even sure i will be moose hunting this fall. More than likely a 40-100 yard shot, just because I can and want too. I usually just use a bow.

<—- My first 375, a Ruger African, took this Buff last week. 1 heart shot at 61 yds. 270gr TSX. Well done on a solid rifle, you will enjoy!
Good bullet. Smoked western savannah buff with one last year. DRT, nearly.

<—- My first 375, a Ruger African, took this Buff last week. 1 heart shot at 61 yds. 270gr TSX. Well done on a solid rifle, you will enjoy!
Good bullet. Smoked western savannah buff with one last year. DRT, nearly.
Forever a Barnes convert and they shoot well out of my rifle, factory and hand loads. Here’s the recovered bullet.

D7FC9D16-D563-4D29-AF17-7024AE5800C5.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the rifle because I wanted a close shot gun with good effect and that creates decent blod trails. I still own a 30-06 that is my allround rifle.
Well you could've bought a .45-70 to fill that need, but now that you're here...enjoy!

The rifle you have now is good for quite a ways out and will still give that good short trail effect with all but the poorest of shots on the largest of game. Remember that you have increased penetration now too and it's worth ensuring that you don't create a passthrough double kill.

I bought mine because the peer pressure on this forum is tremendous. These people are the worst enablers ever. Watch .375's they tend to multiply in the safe. I had three before I new what was going on and have had seemingly rational internal dialogue trying to justify another .375 #1 because it would be nice to have one for just open sights.

This look to be buffalo bore but I could be wrong.
Correct, they are Buffalo Bore. Didn’t want to bring my own hand loads for this hunt. Hendershot’s and others have not been able to get 375 ruger brass for 6 mo’s plus…so they say.

Reached out to Tim Sundles to thank his firm. Quick response and great service. I like that they don’t push max loads like a few other firms I know of, but improve upon the big guys offerings/velocity/bullet selection. I’ve had good luck with there 3006, 338wm, and 375 ruger loads.

Last edited:
Just received my Ruger Alaskan in 375 Ruger. Will be my ”brush-gun” when hunting boars with my Wachtelhund this autumn winter. Bullet choice will be a modest loaded 300 grain Norma Oryx. We will se how it will work.
View attachment 407180
Congratulations on the new rifle !!
I am a big fan of the 375 Ruger and 270 TSX for moose here in Alaska. It is definitely one of my favorite cartridges.

Cheers boys and girls. The summer temperatures an a broken cooler made the hunting take a pause.
73BF7EEE-1223-4194-A6CF-88F6AB201004.jpg

I have now owned this rifle a couple of years. Only used it for wild boar with good result, but the day before Christmas I got the chance and shot a brace of roe dear. Worked perfect on the small sized deer. 260 grains Nosler Accubond dropped them both in their tracks.
Superb meat for the party at New Years eve.
IMG_6541.jpg

IMG_6553.jpg

I shot a 230lb (small for here) Russian Razorback boar with a .375 H&H using a 300gr Nosler Partition. It blew completely through him. He fell over, kicked once, and was gone. The guide couldn't believe it (this was at a place in Pennsylvania) as he'd never seen a guy with an open sighted bolt action hunt there before. I just said "I'm afraid of these things and brought the biggest gun I own...." They have a gristle plate, much like a horse saddle, over their vitals, that is hard to penetrate. One guy there had a .30-06 and with 180's took eight shots to kill the thing. Seems ridiculous and I don't know that they're that tough....but the H&H 300 put him down right now! Hard to beat a .375! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg