My .243 story so far...

I have a good friend who has a short barreled 243 a lot like the one pictured except it is Ruger.

He settled on the 87 grain Hornady for the small bodied costal whitetails that he hunts.

He has been happy with the results. He tried premium 100 grain bullets but they did not expand as well or kill as quickly on the small bodied deer at the reduced short barrel velocity.

Like l said Bob, l ran a poll on an Australian hunting forum and asked what the best projectile was for Fallow and the 87gn V-Max was the clear winner.

I had more than one person private message me and tell me that they hunt/ cull Fallow deer with the .243 (one has culled hundreds) and what they use is the 87gn V-Max loaded up in the OSA factory ammo - that they buy in bulk.
This was one of the reasons it's such a popular load in the .243, because you can buy it in bulk loaded by OSA.

So that's why l chose it, because it was what was the most recommended to me.
It was also the most accurate in my rifle.

All l can do is try it. If it works l'll keep using it - and if it doesn't, l'll try something else (y)

Russ
I don't usually jump into discussions with Bob because I don't need or want to learn any more about the 35 Whelan. ;) But, I personally would not use the V-Max load on deer. It is great for coyotes, but there are several 100 gr loads that would be a far better choice for deer. My son's first rifle was a Steyr .243 and it was a very dependable whitetail killer with the old 100 gr Partitions and the 100 gr Core-Lokts.

I don't usually jump into discussions with Bob because I don't need or want to learn any more about the 35 Whelan. ;) But, I personally would not use the V-Max load on deer. It is great for coyotes, but there are several 100 gr loads that would be a far better choice for deer. My son's first rifle was a Steyr .243 and it was a very dependable whitetail killer with the old 100 gr Partitions and the 100 gr Core-Lokts.

Agreed. I’ve shot a few with my .243 (it doesn’t get out much). I use 100 gr Speer HotCor to good effect.

Russ, get out a smack a Fallow mate. Then we can sing praise of the . 243 for Bob.
Better make it soon before someone in your family claims that rifle and flattens a Fallow for you.

I'm trying mate!
I spent a few day's in that spot we went during the rut... and only saw 1 deer :oops:
I reckon the local lads had been hitting it hard and the deer were very wary...
But stay tuned, l'm determined to be the first in my family to get one!

Russ

IMG_0032.jpeg

My oldest son’s first elk at 10 years old taken with a 243 Model 7 Remington. Don’t remember what bullet was used, either a partition or an interlock Hornady. She only went a short distance. Less gun than I prefer for shooting elk but it did the job perfectly with a pass through.
Very nice rifle, I hope it serves you well and very generous of the guys helping out.

@BigSteve57
But what projectiles were you using
Bob
We're out of town for the weekend or I'd run down to the basement safes to check. My recollection is 100 gr Remington factory loads. Not 100% sure but could have been PSP or PSPCL. It was definitely the heavier 100gr bullet.

We're out of town for the weekend or I'd run down to the basement safes to check. My recollection is 100 gr Remington factory loads. Not 100% sure but could have been PSP or PSPCL. It was definitely the heavier 100gr bullet.
I’ve tried a lot of stuff and will probably fall into the same trap again.
While I’m usually happy with Nosler BT I’ve tried several mono metal projectiles and then I remind myself that soft point projectiles have worked for years and they still do.

@BigSteve57
A fellow member @peter Who, shot two fallow bucks at around 70 yards with his 243 and Remington 100gn PSPCL. The first one went down to a nice chest shot. The 2nd one same shot placement and down as well. When he went to retrieve them the first one got up and ran off. Despite much searching over two days it was not found and Peter was devastated.
The second one we butcher and find a beautiful mushroom bullet under the off side skin. Text book projectile..
Both were broadside shots with perfect placement.
The next fallow he shot was with his newly acquired 25-06. One shot and all over Red Rover. He said the 243 is no comparison compared to the mighty 25.
His left hand 243 is now up for sale.
Bob

@Red Leg
I think you know enough about the Whelen now mate.
I agree with you about the 87 grainers especially the VMax. When I started loading the 95gn SST and 100gn round nose the mates kill rate improved a lot.
Those little 100gn round nose sue do a lot of damage to bigger pig and the fallow bucks I saw shot with them. Used out to two hundred yards they proved very effective.
Bob

@BigSteve57
A fellow member @peter Who, shot two fallow bucks at around 70 yards with his 243 and Remington 100gn PSPCL. The first one went down to a nice chest shot. The 2nd one same shot placement and down as well. When he went to retrieve them the first one got up and ran off. Despite much searching over two days it was not found and Peter was devastated.
The second one we butcher and find a beautiful mushroom bullet under the off side skin. Text book projectile..
The next fallow he shot was with his newly acquired 25-06. One shot and all over Red Rover. He said the 243 is no comparison compared to the mighty 25.
Bob
Another plug for the .25, might have to call you, Predictable Bob.
If @Peterwho has a left hand .243 being left hand of course it’s going to be useless.

I’m with Bob on this. I’m not a fan of the 243 on big northern white tail bucks, it’s okay on young deer and doe up close.

I can tell you that I’ve killed well over 100 deer and at least that many hogs with everything from a 243 to a 35 Whelen.

When using cartridges from 25 caliber to 30 caliber, bullet choice was not critical and almost any cup and core bullet worked fine.

I have seen fragile bullets fail in the 243 on tough targets and tough bullets fail in the 35 Whelen on 150 pound deer.

I was using a 243 with an 18 inch barrel loaded with 85 grain Sierra Hollow points. when hunting hogs with dogs.

I used that bullet because I didn’t want it to exit and kill a dog. I shot a huge sow( more than 250 pounds at point blank range with 85 grain Sierra. The bullet never got to the vitals. A total come apart. The follow up shot was a 100 grain winchester fail safe. Killed the hog like a lightening strike.

On another occasion, I shot a 150 pound whitetail buck with a 35 whelen using a 225 grain Nosler Partition. I hit him just behind the shoulder. He had a small entry and exit wound and left a tiny blood trail for about 100 yards.

I later had a Zimbabwe PH tell me that the 35 Whelen with 225 grain partitions were a good choice for cape buffalo.

I think if you’re hunting with a cartridge that’s on the small or large size for the game your after, bullet selection and placement are very critical.

@cajunchefray
Shame on you for even thinking the horrible little 243 loaded with a Barnes would equal a 157 Roberts. Y'all must have been eatin to many shrimp poboys and drinkin to much moonshine it seems to have given y'all a temporary loss of memory of why you ain't got one
NO MATTER WHAT YOU LOAD IN THE 243 IT WILL NEVER BE A 25 OF ANY TYPE. Well maybe a 25 cal air rifle
A 100gn TTSX out of a properly loaded Roberts will give over 3,200fps and 54gn of H4350 will give it 3,440fps out of a 25 ought six. Both well out of the 243s league. An 80gn TTSX in the 25-06 can be pushed to 3,600fps.
If'n y'all want a nice little 25 that will still shit all over the 243 get a lovely little 250 Savage made up on a Remington Model 7 or a 788.
Y'all is lucky you had a Whelen otherwise I would have really come down on you.
@Badboymelvin is young the same as @CBH Australia so they don't know better no matter how much I try to tell them.
But a man of your superior intelligence and breeding should know better.
Bob
Well, I glad you understand my " superior intelligence and breeding."
That's why I stay away from moonshine, and prefer Crown Royal, as many folks in South Louisiana do. Canadian whiskey makes sense here since so many of us and descendants were refugees from Nova Scotia, having learned the northern distilling and brought the appreciation down south. Shrimp Po'boys, can't get enough, especially with delicious Louisiana fried oysters.

Now, regarding the .243 topic, @RedLeg post's regarding use of reliable cup and core 100-105 grain RN bullets, driven to maximum velocity, with good shot placement still works. I'm not thinking we need 3400 fps to kill these little 150 pound deer in Louisiana.

if you are going to go to an 87, get the Hornady spire point #2440.
They were a very popular projectile for deer here in NZ back in the day. They were marketed as a dual-purpose projectile but now just for varmints but they are still the same.
Or go federal blue box-whatever shoots the best.
100grs go sierra pro-hunters. Maybe try the 95gr ballistic tips,
What is the twist on the barrel?

Well, I glad you understand my " superior intelligence and breeding."
That's why I stay away from moonshine, and prefer Crown Royal, as many folks in South Louisiana do. Canadian whiskey makes sense here since so many of us and descendants were refugees from Nova Scotia, having learned the northern distilling and brought the appreciation down south. Shrimp Po'boys, can't get enough, especially with delicious Louisiana fried oysters.

Now, regarding the .243 topic, @RedLeg post's regarding use of reliable cup and core 100-105 grain RN bullets, driven to maximum velocity, with good shot placement still works. I'm not thinking we need 3400 fps to kill these little 150 pound deer in Louisiana.

Not a proud moment in Canadian history but your ancestors certainly made the best of it. If it’s any consolation, the town they were deported from (Annapolis Royal) has become a nest of woke nut bars.

Not a proud moment in Canadian history but your ancestors certainly made the best of it. If it’s any consolation, the town they were deported from (Annapolis Royal) has become a nest of woke nut bars.
History does not have many proud moments. I truly appreciate you sharing the location of the deportation of some of the Acadians from Nova Scotia during the Grande Derangement.

My sister and I are continuing to study this history, geography, and genealogy, following our parents and grandparents handed down stories.

We will be visiting the Canadian Maritime provinces, to retrace the steps from Fort Beausejour, Grand Pre, Port Royal, Annapolis Royal, and Church Point, the namesake town in Louisiana where we are from.

I no longer harbor ill-will against the British Empire. It took me awhile.
Hell, we survived and fought and defeated the British Army and Navy in the Battle of New Orleans in 1815, with some help from our Southern neighbors.

But I digress.
Apologies to @Bob35Whelen, there is a place, for our small deer sized game for the .243 Winchester, with good bullets.

Now to just find a new rifle.

History does not have many proud moments. I truly appreciate you sharing the location of the deportation of some of the Acadians from Nova Scotia during the Grande Derangement.

My sister and I are continuing to study this history, geography, and genealogy, following our parents and grandparents handed down stories.

We will be visiting the Canadian Maritime provinces, to retrace the steps from Fort Beausejour, Grand Pre, Port Royal, Annapolis Royal, and Church Point, the namesake town in Louisiana where we are from.

I no longer harbor ill-will against the British Empire. It took me awhile.
Hell, we survived and fought and defeated the British Army and Navy in the Battle of New Orleans in 1815, with some help from our Southern neighbors.

But I digress.
Apologies to @Bob35Whelen, there is a place, for our small deer sized game for the .243 Winchester, with good bullets.

Now to just find a new rifle.

Let us know when you are headed that way. We can likely help.

@BigSteve57
Bob
Ridiculous. It's not the projectile it's the shooter.

Ridiculous. It's not the projectile it's the shooter.
@BigSteve57
At times it's both. Wrong projectiles and a person who can't shoot as well as they think..
I've seen good shooters fail with the wrong projectiles and bad shooters fail with the right projectiles.
I've also seen good shooters fail with the right projectiles.
Not everyone is perfect, especially me.
I try and match projectiles to game but sometimes have a bad shit. When that happens usually the 2nd shot solves the problem.
Bib

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FelicitasK

Latest profile posts

A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?
NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life
Sable @ the lodge this morning

Buffalo encounter this morning!