My “Old but New” Winchester Pre-64 .375 H&H

I'm confused by the pictures. Is the bottom picture reversed?

Best regards,

Edit: enlarging the picture I can see that the lettering is backwards, so the picture is reversed.

First thing I look at on a hard kicking rifle is the grain flow through the wrist. I don't care how good the timber looks if the grain flow through the wrist is not flowing with the lines of the wrist or straight through I am wary of it. On one side it looks good the other not quite there from what I can see, it might just be because of the shine and I am not seeing the full grain flow.

However I would wager that stock will hold up to any punishment a 375H&H can throw at it and the double cross bolts will hold a bad stock from cracking so you have no worries, could even butt stroke some of those Leopards :ROFLMAO:

if I were ever to meet up with you I would bad mouth that stock something fierce, hoping I could talk you out of it.:)
It’s funny 303, or I should actually say a keen observation by you! Now I don’t know anything about stocks or stock making…
But like anyone else when paying for something like this I want it to look a certain way and of course be nice enough looking to “WOW” not only me but the Leopards in the crowd lol
So when commissioning this build I really looked hard at what appealed to me aesthetically. When I found the blank I talked to LeRoy about it and how much I liked this or that in the graining and the first thing he said to me, and I swear by all that’s Holy, is it’s a great piece! It’s has great graining through the wrist!!!
Now I don’t personally know LeRoy, I don’t work for him, and I’m not his salesman but that right there inforces what you are saying and makes me even more of a believer in LeRoys work!!!
FYI, I just bought a matching 1950 Winchester in 300 H&H that I’m going to have LeRoy build on the same wood blank as the 375 used! Stay tuned

@fourfive8 , There are two types of custom stocks and rifles made in this style… A European with a shorter, thinner stock and a barrel band for the front sling attachment and the there is the Winchester/American style with a longer fuller stock that has the sling attachment in the front of the stock as we are a custom too…
As I wanted to keep this rifle looking as original as possible I chose the Winchester style with the SuperGrade attachments, I think I made the right choice
If you wanted to "keep this rifle looking as original as possible," then I think you should have stayed with the original bottom metal. The extended box looks very unoriginal. When I was looking for bottom metal for my 98 Mauser build into 404 Jeffery, I thought about an extended version (4+1). But then I went on line and took a look at some finished builds with them. Destroys the Mauser's clean lines.

The stock is beautiful. I applaud your choice to forego the barrel band sling swivel. Never could understand the attraction. A dysfunctional ornament that isn't very ornamental.

Some have said don,t scratch it, to me this is rubbish talk. Scratch and dings on rifles both the metal work and stocks speak of hard use, and interesting tales, not to mention adding character to the gun. Sure look after the rifle to protect against unnecessary marks but if used in hard hunting they will end up with these dings.

CZ, you done good my man! You took a fine rifle and made it finer. Everyone has their own idea of what makes the perfect arrow. The rifle is yours now…truly your own. Now go slay some game with it.

If you wanted to "keep this rifle looking as original as possible," then I think you should have stayed with the original bottom metal. The extended box looks very unoriginal. When I was looking for bottom metal for my 98 Mauser build into 404 Jeffery, I thought about an extended version (4+1). But then I went on line and took a look at some finished builds with them. Destroys the Mauser's clean lines.

The stock is beautiful. I applaud your choice to forego the barrel band sling swivel. Never could understand the attraction. A dysfunctional ornament that isn't very ornamental.
OH, I didn’t use the stock bottom metal as I wanted to keep it with the original stock…
This way in the future, for whatever the reason, I can pull off the new stock and replace it with original and it’s still a very accurate representation of a 1950 Winchester Transitional Magnum…
Though I’d bet most would want to keep it in its new coat

Thank you everyone for the kind words! And yes it’s going to Africa! I just made all the arrangements for the DSC show in January to boo!!!
Aaaand I just bought a 1950 Winchester transition rifle in 300 H&H to send to LeRoy to make a nice matching set of Winchesters for the hunt!
LeRoy still has the second half of the blank I chose so they should look great together

I think your upgraded pre-64 looks beautiful , appears to be a fine job done . Cant wait to see what your 300 H&H will look like . Congratulations , I hope all your dreams come true with an African hunt .

Love the rifle. My Pre64 Super Grade in 375 was crossbolted when I bought it. I got it knowing the collector value was gone but it’s been a workhorse of a rifle for me and has 3 of the Big 5 to its name, the entire spiral horned slam and 6 of my 8 Tiny 10 species plus countless other Plainsgame animals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlisonEmme

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.