Musgrave Brno Mauser 3006?

Kalaharikind

Reaction score
Good day fellow members,

I recently received a beautiful hunting rifle as a gift. I was hoping to find out more about the weapon.

Information I have so far is that it is a Musgrave 30-06. Barrel length 24 inches. I would be very greatful to learn about the history of the rifle, if it has a K98 bolt, and what the relationship was between Musgrave, Brno and Mauser.

Please excuse my ignorance and if this topic was already covered, kindly direct me to the relevant thread.

Kind regards.
20240423_132725.jpg
20240423_132939.jpg
20240423_132959.jpg
20240423_133101.jpg
20240423_122704.jpg
20240423_122655.jpg

From what I've been told, Musgrave was a gunmaker located in South Africa. He used M.98 actions early on to build very nice rifles and, I believe, you have one from the Brno factory. I think that later, Musgrave produced their own actions. I'm sure you will get the right information from this august group. BTW you have a fine rifle!

7x57Joe is correct . The original Musgraves were built by Musgrave in Bloemfontein . They used M98 actions of various makes to build their rifles , and made their own barrels . The old Musgraves were well made and accurate . The association of your rifle to Brno is that they used a Brno made action for your rifle which is based on the old Mauser M98 design . I had a Musgrave .308 with a M98 action for many years , I eventually sold it to a friend , it easily shoots sub MOA groups . You have a good rifle , good luck with it .

Thanks the replies gents. Am I assuming correctly that the OB serial number indicates a rifle made my Musgrave, but with Bruno barrel and bolt?

From what I've been told, Musgrave was a gunmaker located in South Africa. He used M.98 actions early on to build very nice rifles and, I believe, you have one from the Brno factory. I think that later, Musgrave produced their own actions. I'm sure you will get the right information from this august group. BTW you have a fine rifle!
Does your rifle have a "V" in the serial nr ? I see on another forum there is a person that also has an old original Musgrave thats serial nr starts with OB but the serial nr has a "V" in it too . If so it is described as a "Vrystaat" model , which according to the post is apparently quite a collectable model . I am no expert and simply passing on some information I read . I am sure there might be some knowledgeable persons on this site that can give better information to confirm what you have , but I am sure you have an old original Musgrave rifle with obviously a Brno action mated to a Musgrave made barrel .

Here is some more information I found , I cannot confirm how accurate it is , but seems some more research of your rifle would be warranted . Apparently there is a guy called Daan Els who is a Musgrave fundi that could possibly help if you were able to find him - see the "copy paste " info below :

Of the "Vrystaat" series there were 3 variants: the "standard" Vrystaat with a "nice" stock, skip-line checkering and a darker foreend tip. The "Veld" model with a very plain stock and the "President" model that is fancier than the standard. My father bought his .308 Vrystaat new in '72 and it is now in my possession and conforms to the description above. Serial number is OB762xxx (note no V), with 26" barrel. I recently saw an identical rifle in 243 on a hunting trip, but unfortunately did not inspect the serial number or measure the barrel length.

A friend recently acquired what we believe to be a Veld model. Plain stock, gunkoted action and barrel (not blued like my dad's, but the gunkoting looks to be of very high quality) serial OB762Vxxx, "Republiek van Suid Afrika" like my dad's on the left side of the action, 25" barrel. Hence my premise that the "V" indicates the Veld model.

My (personal) belief is that the models and designations were not quite as "strict" as we'd like them to be. Your serial number's "V" coupled with a blued action (and I'm wagering not quite a plain stock) seems to indicate the same.

The Vrystaat series were made in 243, 270, 308 and 30-06. Some months ago I saw a set of a 243 and a 270 for sale on guntree. Although I have no real love for either of those calibers (hehehe, I know you love them both!!) I sometimes wonder if I shouldn't have bought them. Finances, motivation reasons and caliber prejudice stopped me from doing so :-(

Does your rifle have a "V" in the serial nr ? I see on another forum there is a person that also has an old original Musgrave thats serial nr starts with OB but the serial nr has a "V" in it too . If so it is described as a "Vrystaat" model , which according to the post is apparently quite a collectable model . I am no expert and simply passing on some information I read . I am sure there might be some knowledgeable persons on this site that can give better information to confirm what you have , but I am sure you have an old original Musgrave rifle with obviously a Brno action mated to a Musgrave made barrel .
Hi Paul,
Thank for that interesting info. Appreciate it!

There is no V in the number. Just OB3006xxx - the exes being three more numbers.

The rifle has a beautiful stock (to my eyes at least). I'll add a photo of the entire piece.

Have a great day.
20240423_122627.jpg

Quoted:

"My (personal) belief is that the models and designations were not quite as "strict" as we'd like them to be. Your serial number's "V" coupled with a blued action (and I'm wagering not quite a plain stock) seems to indicate the same."

This concurs with the bit of research I've done. At some point Musgrave apparently sourced actions from various surplus military rifles, be it German Mausers, or Chech variants. A quick Google search reveals quite a complicated marriage between BRNO and Mauser, especially during WW2.

That’s an old Bloemfontein Musgrave Model 98, in what looks to be almost pristine condition.
As mentioned, Musgrave built the Model 98 using a variety of surplus Mauser style actions. BRNO, Santa Barbara and VZ24’s being the most common.
It was basically South Africa’s Pre-64 Winchester during the years of political isolation. Lol

You have a very fine hunting rifle, in arguably the most popular hunting cartridge ever.

That’s an old Bloemfontein Musgrave Model 98, in what looks to be almost pristine condition.
As mentioned, Musgrave built the Model 98 using a variety of surplus Mauser style actions. BRNO, Santa Barbara and VZ24’s being the most common.
It was basically South Africa’s Pre-64 Winchester during the years of political isolation. Lol

You have a very fine hunting rifle, in arguably the most popular hunting cartridge ever.
You just

Thanks for that Sir. You just gave old heart a very warm feeling.

To be honest, I cant sleep, I cant work, I hardly eat, my poor dog thinks Ive abandoned her.... I just want to sit with this rifle and gently stoke her stock!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MajorBirds

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.