Mosque shootings - New Zealand

And as somebody of a conservative political persuasion and a gun advocate this guy didn't do me any favors
I been there hunting. It is a beautiful country. No this guy probably didn't do us hunters any favor

It appears that the murderer acquired a local firearm licence several years ago but it seems that concern was raised about his gun club some time back, by another Firearm Licence Holder.
I heard a short recording on the radio about five to ten minutes ago, wherein the speaker stated that he had visited the Bruce Gun Club and been disturbed about the attitudes displayed. He mentioned talk of zombie apocalypse and Confederate flags. He advised that he had reported his concerns to NZ Police. He was understandably upset, saying that he had done all he could. He sounded sensible and genuine, i.e. not someone to inflate an issue out of proportion.
The NZ Police have an unfortunate history of hassling firearm licence holders in respect of dubious and unsustainable allegations BUT taking a casual attitude to safety warnings issued by firearm licence holders. When a local gun shop owner reported David Gray’s inapppropriate behaviour to NZ Police (in the 1980s) they sent the local officer (unarmed and without armed backup) to have a chat. Thus started the Aramoana incident where an old schoolmate was lucky to only get clipped on the heel by a bullet whilst serving as an Armed Offenders Squad member.

Last edited:
Not to denigrate the innocent lives lost, but this IS a hunting website. And the negative spin off from this tragedy will devastate the hunting industry in NZ, and adversely affect all hunting based conservation as NZ reacts by tightening laws against the only people who really obey them.....the good guys..............sad all the way around....FWB

Kind of preaching to the choir on this site but we all must remember this is never a gun issue but a mental health issue. Prayers to all the families involved.

@ZG47 that one persons complaints about the gun club need to be taken with a grain of salt. A member of the gun club I personally know has stated he met the "shooter" at the gun club about one month ago. He seemed perfectly normal and nothing in his actions, demenor, words, or dress indicated anything unusal.
The person in the video making the complaints also claimed to have met the "shooter" at the club on the visit in question. This was in Nov 2017, but the "shooter" didn't join until early 2018.

Kind of preaching to the choir on this site but we all must remember this is never a gun issue but a mental health issue. Prayers to all the families involved.
Agreed. And I think everyone on this site will also agree. The problem is that the antis do not see that, or if they do they just roll it up and make it a gun issue!

Unfortunately it is these people who are able to make life extraordinarily difficult for gun owners in countries like the UK where I live. The knee jerk reactions that took place in the UK after the two major shootings that took place here caused handguns to be bannned and made life very difficult for licensed law abiding citizens. Unfortunately we do not have strong representation or lobbyists to help our cause.

I see the PM of NZ has already stated that the gun laws will change! I hope that whatever happens is done in a considered and well thought out way. Unfortunately I don’t think that will happen!

So, I believe a lot of us are in agreement about this. So what do we do about it?

It is a little pointless all of us talking about this in this group! Which I do enjoy. But the message is not getting out there to the broader populace! Or is it?

So, I believe a lot of us are in agreement about this. So what do we do about it?

It is a little pointless all of us talking about this in this group! Which I do enjoy. But the message is not getting out there to the broader populace! Or is it?

Beautiful question.

Those whiteguys, those Mexicans, those muslims...those yanks....all these are shortcuts that politicians use to move people and get power. Its crap. When your neighbour is one of "those" they are suddenly the exception. Until we are intolerant of general labels we are pawns to an agenda. We are being manipulated. And that agenda will always result in some loose cannon killing. You only have to look back at the last 3000 years of political history to see it.

Those hunters...those gun owners...those liberals...

My thought? Dont tell me about "those people". I will judge the person, thanks. That's why our system is so great
It gives every person a voice, if we choose to listen. Makes for tough policy though.

Okay well the discussion I thought was about the shooting not an airplane crash and I was speaking generally about a bombardment of media so there's really no channel to change

Your comment was about media bias and media bombardment of a point of view. The direct parallel commentary from "Africans" about media bias was being expressed on another tragedy.
(Hope that explains the theme I was passing along.)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...se-killed-new-zealand-mosques-tell-of-anguish

It's not about different groups of people. It's not about Muslim or Christian or whatever. It's about people. Period. Until we just see just people this will happen again. Politics of division is more deadly than gun ownership yet everyone accepts it.

Rant over. Sorry.

So first off I agree with you here .

Thing is though this will happen again no matter what we do, because man is flawed. We are all sinners. This type of thing started with Cain and it isn't going to stop until man is gone from this Earth .

Now don't anyone think I'm saying we shouldn't continue to work to minimize murder, mass or otherwise. We certainly should.

But, it will never stop, nor will the politicians ever stop using tragic events such as this to take more power away from the people .

Beware .

@ZG47 that one persons complaints about the gun club need to be taken with a grain of salt.

@stug I did, with all due respect, use the word ‘appears’. I only heard a short clip. That being said, it will take a while to sift through all that is being said, at the moment.

An outcry is what this **** wanted. An outcry is what he got. He even picked the means of his deed to maximize that, according to his "manifesto".

Apparently, the NZ government is rushing to do exactly what he wanted.

An outcry is what this **** wanted. An outcry is what he got. He even picked the means of his deed to maximize that, according to his "manifesto".

Apparently, the NZ government is rushing to do exactly what he wanted.
Bingo. New Zealand is rushing to cave to his demands.

To prevent Citizens from knowing this, they are threatening 5 years in jail for owning any copy of his manifesto.

Think about that last part for a second.

Is the problem perhaps that there are no real leaders in politics? I am talking about those with charisma and the ability to draw people together. Those that can lead by their own strengths and characteristics without having to say bad stuff about their opponents.
Do let us know when you find one.o_O

I just saw a story that not only is the little PM preparing to rule, :eek:( by the sound of it) that new gun laws are on the way... well why bother?o_O Apparently owners of semi auto rifles are turning them in for destruction, all for the greater good! :(You go girl! :D Though the same has happened here. Usually it amounts to the cops say, turn in your guns and get free Keds, Nikes or some such. Then the idiots(n) run around looking for grandpa's old and valuable 1886 Winchester:eek: or other valuable firearm, and turn it in for a pair of $100 sneakers!:mad: So many stupid people, so little time to cure them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.