Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Dr Ray, Mar 14, 2019.
Looks like a number of shooters attacking 2 mosques.
Apparently 69 casualties atm.
Not sure how many shooters, might only be one
White supremesist by the sound of the recent update.
Shooter is an Australian from Grafton NSW a Brenton Tarrant
If you have not already heard, there have been shooting attacks on two mosques in Christchurch, the main city in the South Island. Ten (10) people were killed in one mosque and thirty (30) people in the other mosque. A number of people (adults and children) some with critical injuries, have been taken to hospitals in Christchurch and via airborne transfer to other major centres.
The Bangladeshi Cricket Team bus had just pulled up to one of the mosques when shooting started. The team members left their bus and escaped through a nearby park. The test game has been cancelled.
There were four (4) offenders. They are all under arrest. Three men and one woman.
The main offender was an Australian white supremacist.
All my family down there are safe. According to one of my aunts there are a lot of frightened children in Christchurch.
Yes 49 murdered. This is a terrible crime.
Horrible. RIP. Didn't know there were mosques in NZ.
Someone in the media will find a way to blame Trump.
This is just savage. I don't understand how anyone can shoot innocent people like this. How do 4 people get it into their heads to kill families at a place of worship? Such evil.
I am glad your family are safe @ZG47 . I hope all members here have been spared from this tragedy.
4 arrested and one charged with murder. These acts of terrorism are inevitable as long as we see the label and not see the person. For these four it was too hard to see the human they shot; the child, the mother, the son, the brother. Instead they only saw a Muslim. Sadly, it takes no intellect to hate a label. It's harder to pay attention to a person, and then to hate that individual. Hate is more seductive than thought.
Terrible massacre of insane miscarriages.
It's heating up the cycle of extremists worldwide.
Getting out of this spiral, how is that supposed to work with such terrible deeds?
It remains bewilderment and sadness.
This is just terrible news. So sorry to hear of it... Prayers for those affected...
Zealots and Despots can be found world wide even though they are distained by the vast majority. Innocent victims and their families are deserving of our prayers and the culprits of our commendation.
What we know:
* A gunman walked into a mosque on Deans Ave, Christchurch carrying a semi-automatic weapon and opened fire. He live streamed the attack.
* A second shooting occurred at a mosque in Linwood.
* At least 49 people were dead as of 9pm - 41 at the Central Mosque, 7 at Linwood Mosque, 1 in Christchurch Hospital.
* 48 people are in hospital with gunshots wounds as of 9pm, including young children. Other injured went to medical centres.
* A 28-year-old man has been charged with murder and is due to appear in the Christchurch District Court on Saturday morning.
* He was arrested on Brougham St in a car which had explosives and guns inside.
* The shooter identified himself as 28-year-old, Australian-born Brenton Tarrant.
* None of the suspects were on any police or terror watchlists.
* Two others remain in custody. A fourth person arrested on Friday was not related to these events, police say.
* Christchurch Hospital had 12 operating theatres in use on Friday night. Some of the injured require multiple surgeries.
* Families have shown up at the hospital and at the Deans Ave cordon seeking news of families members.
* A missing people's register has been set up at https://familylinks.icrc.org/new-zealand/en/Pages/Home.aspx
* Families and friends can also register missing people on 0800 115 019.
* Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern calls the attacks "NZ's darkest day."
* This is the deadliest mass shooting on record in New Zealand.
* Witnesses have described the horror of their "brothers" being attacked.
* Victim Support has launched an official fund for support of shooting victims. Donations can be made at https://givealittle.co.nz/cause/christchurch-shooting-victims-fund#
* If you need advice or support with mental wellbeing call or text 1737 anytime to talk to a trained counsellor.
That is so horrible.
Separate names with a comma.