Montana Rifle Company - Do I have an Alaskan

JEDEPO

Reaction score
I hope I have selected the correct forum for my topic. Looking for someone with knowledge of Montana Rifle Company (MRC) rifles made from 2000 to 2015. I have acquired the rifle in the attached photo. It is an MRC 1999, .416 Rigby Magnum rifle. That is about all I know except for what is stamped on the gun. On the left side of the receiver, in big bold letters, is “PROFESSIONAL HUNTER”. On the right side of the receiver, just forward of the chamber is “DGR” in small print. Other than the brand and caliber, there is nothing else alluding to the model name. I believe this might be an MRC Alaskan for a couple of reasons. First, it is a DGR. Second, it has a composite stock. The other two DGR made early-on by MGR were offered with wood stocks. Near as I can tell, the Alaskan is the only one that came with a composite stock. I would like to confirm that this is an Alaskan, and if it isn’t, what is it. I would like to know when it was made. I read somewhere that the MRC serial numbers indicate a MRC rifle date of manufacture. The serial on this gun is D13-0013. Finally, I would like to have some idea of it value. I understand that being a PROFESSIONAL HUNTER push the value up by about $1,000. I have tried contacting MRC a couple of times, but they apparently are not interested in responding.

Full LS - 0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no answers for you, but that is a very clean, business-like looking rifle... I have no doubt it will be responsible for some humane damage.

Nice tool. Patiently waiting for the purists to pile on and list its misgivings.

“DGR” is the model designation for “Dangerous Game Rifle.”

Writeup on the DGR in .416 Rigby:

Writeup on the MRC Alaskan:

Last edited:
Respectfully, the MRC might be trying to close the chapter on that rifle; maybe even glue the book closed forever. Good luck hearing back from them…

Looks like a shooter for sure; curious why the verticled muzzle break on the end? Interesting concept and approach…..

Awesome caliber selection. Although, an argument could be made that a true big bore .450-.500+ would be more suited for DG (big cats could be argued below .450 according to Taylor). With today’s bullets and powders, it’s definitely up there with a DG class.

Features on a PH rifle tend to include knurled bolts for sure grip and short barrels no longer than 22” for quick manuvering.

Great looking rifle. Thanks for sharing.

MRC installed muzzle brake ports go to the 3 and 9 o’clock position. That one appears to have been overtightened resulting in being out out of timing. A gunsmith can fix the timing issue very easily. OP, have that fixed otherwise it will create a big dirt cloud.

My 404J MRC Alaskan has "Alaskan" stamped on the barrel. It also has a SS receiver/barrel, and the front sling swivel is on the fore end, not a barrel band. Also, pretty sure all the Alaskans came with the black swirl pattern synthetic stock, not the white stock.

You have the DG

1708290320502.png

I hope I have selected the correct forum for my topic. Looking for someone with knowledge of Montana Rifle Company (MRC) rifles made from 2000 to 2015. I have acquired the rifle in the attached photo. It is an MRC 1999, .416 Rigby Magnum rifle. That is about all I know except for what is stamped on the gun. On the left side of the receiver, in big bold letters, is “PROFESSIONAL HUNTER”. On the right side of the receiver, just forward of the chamber is “DGR” in small print. Other than the brand and caliber, there is nothing else alluding to the model name. I believe this might be an MRC Alaskan for a couple of reasons. First, it is a DGR. Second, it has a composite stock. The other two DGR made early-on by MGR were offered with wood stocks. Near as I can tell, the Alaskan is the only one that came with a composite stock. I would like to confirm that this is an Alaskan, and if it isn’t, what is it. I would like to know when it was made. I read somewhere that the MRC serial numbers indicate a MRC rifle date of manufacture. The serial on this gun is D13-0013. Finally, I would like to have some idea of it value. I understand that being a PROFESSIONAL HUNTER push the value up by about $1,000. I have tried contacting MRC a couple of times, but they apparently are not interested in responding.

View attachment 588117
Good day, I sold MRC rifles for quite a few years through my buddy’s business in Houston and among them were several Alaskans, I don’t recall that particular stock on any of them. They were all black web colored. The PH action was the DGR Magnum action, we used to sell them for around 2k, I believe there MSRP was right at 2300. I own one in a 505 Gibbs with the wood stock. Several people experienced splitting at the tang with this wood stock, many being replaced with composite stocks. I would venture to say by the stock on your rifle that it was a replacement. Not saying that a few may not have been configured this way at customer request. They were pretty good about building what a customer wanted. They did not catalog the 300 H&H until after I had the chamber a legend for me with a heavy barrel. I used to really like dealing with MRC, I wish the new company success with their new line. Although the Manbun would not have been my choice of a return to market entry chambering.

MRC installed muzzle brake ports go to the 3 and 9 o’clock position. That one appears to have been overtightened resulting in being out out of timing. A gunsmith can fix the timing issue very easily. OP, have that fixed otherwise it will create a big dirt cloud.
A gunsmith was the previous owner. Maybe he made corrections. Cannot asked, as he is now deceased.

My 404J MRC Alaskan has "Alaskan" stamped on the barrel. It also has a SS receiver/barrel, and the front sling swivel is on the fore end, not a barrel band. Also, pretty sure all the Alaskans came with the black swirl pattern synthetic stock, not the white stock.

You have the DG

View attachment 588143
I think mine goes back to the early 2000s. This light gray stock would have been from that time period. I am hoping someone on this site has one, had one, or has seen one, and can tell me more about it.

Good day, I sold MRC rifles for quite a few years through my buddy’s business in Houston and among them were several Alaskans, I don’t recall that particular stock on any of them. They were all black web colored. The PH action was the DGR Magnum action, we used to sell them for around 2k, I believe there MSRP was right at 2300. I own one in a 505 Gibbs with the wood stock. Several people experienced splitting at the tang with this wood stock, many being replaced with composite stocks. I would venture to say by the stock on your rifle that it was a replacement. Not saying that a few may not have been configured this way at customer request. They were pretty good about building what a customer wanted. They did not catalog the 300 H&H until after I had the chamber a legend for me with a heavy barrel. I used to really like dealing with MRC, I wish the new company success with their new line. Although the Manbun would not have been my choice of a return to market entry chambering.
Thanks for the reply and info. Replacement stock would explain why I cannot find anyone who has see this light gray stock with speckling. Any idea about the serial number being related to the date of manufacture?

I spoke with MRC at the SCI convention this year. They are basically a completely new company with the name MRC being about the only remaining remnant of the past company. They do still use the same action design, but they are machining the actions from bar stock now, instead of castings as before. I seriously doubt they would get involved in any warranty claims, but you'd think maybe they would still have records from past builds, but maybe that went with the old company and ownership. If your rifle works as designed and has no issues, you should have a rifle that will last you a lifetime.

I think mine goes back to the early 2000s. This light gray stock would have been from that time period. I am hoping someone on this site has one, had one, or has seen one, and can tell me more about it.
The key is "Alaskan" is actually stamped on the barrel. If you don't have that stamped on the barrel, it's not an Alaskan. Not really a big deal that yours is a PH/DG. The biggest difference between them is the furniture.

Totally new company, it’s located in Michigan now if I remember correctly, I have a MRC .416 Rigby manufactured around 2018 give or take a year, I do like it and it is very accurate. I’ve been contemplating a synthetic stock for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeMo

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you