452.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-01 at 12.37.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-01 at 12.37.36 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 51
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-01 at 12.37.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-01 at 12.37.38 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 57
ray,
get some 400 gn swift aframes to compare with the others.
it would be an interesting experiment.
bruce.

Already done!
But haven’t had enough shots to compare.

yes ray, aint that the truth.
getting enough shots of a similar nature into enough head of game with different bullets for meaningful statistical comparison is a lot of time and work.
it is an easy trap to go for too much bullet as much as too little.
we always look for something better, but it never hurts to remember the gold standard by which a cartridge made its name, at least as a starting point, and use that as a control in a comparison.
in the case of the 416 calibre it is a 400 gn bullet at about 2400 fps, and one that expands fast and yet holds together well is an obvious choice.
anything that beats the performance of that is an improvement, but maybe nothing will for a statistically valid number of kills.
bruce.

7DE64C24-7301-4B86-AB56-E339DDC5A2D4.jpeg

Made this guy on the right just as an experiment. It turned (get it ) out to be 341 grains. Left is a 300 grain TSX.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I have an over active imagination sometimes....point in case I went to the museum with my family about a month ago. My 4 year old son says he has a surprise and makes me close my eyes as soon as we walk in. I’m expecting to see the world class T-Rex skeleton that’s been there since I was his age right. He says “open your eyes dad!” So I do and to my surprise and a mild start followed by an “oh shit” under my breath. There is a full freaking size robotic Bisti beast, (slightly smaller kin to T. rex. Still enormous) standing there looking at me with a very low growl. He got me pretty good!

So every half hour they fully animate it. Loud roar open mouth head rocking and all. I will say it sent a primitive fight or flight shiver down my spine thinking what could you really do even armed with a big big rifle.

I got to thinking it would have to be a hip shot with a solid with high S.D like 450/400, 500/416 for doubles. Bolts would be for me anyway 400HH any 416 but probably a Rigby. 404 Jeffery 450 Rigby and the 460 Weatherby.

What is the name of the Swedish company? I really liked these bullets.

Two North Fork designs (currently being produced in Sweden). Both solids are banded and of copper. The Flat Point Solid and the Cup Point Solid. Time will tell if the new owners of the design/brand can supply the US market with the various styles/calibers.

Reloading International is the US broker for the folks who now own NF
Last Ichecked they hadNF bulletsbut I don’t know if they were left overs or new production.
If you can find what you need old US products may be better until new are vetted.

NorthFork is not a true monolithic bullet. It has lead bonded up front very similar to Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claws (TBBC).

Yes. The three, very similar bonded soft points are TBBC, Rhino and the regular North Fork soft point. NF also had a more rapidly opening form of the regular bonded soft point.

Additionally, NF had two monolithic banded copper solids. A flat point and a cup point. Here's the inside of a NF brochure from about 6 years ago showing their basic soft point and the two solid monolithics.

North Fork brochure..JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DorothyIbs

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.