Model 70 Safari Express - Safety Issues?

Khalanyoni Game Ranch

Sponsor
Since 2024
Reaction score
Website
khalanyoni.co.za
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa
hi all,

i am in the process of buying a model 70 safari express in 375 h&h. great gun carrying a lot of history. easy enough, right?

here is the glitch. my gun guy said: dont do it!

his rationale: there are issues with the safety. so my question is: have you recently acquired a model 70 safari express? could you please share your experiences?

thank you very much in advance!

No offence to you but you may consider finding a new gun guy.

I purchased brand new, Portuguese made 416Rem few years ago. So far no issues with it. What sort of issues with the safety does he mean?

I have a 375HH that’s around 3yrs old now. Purchased new… So far have not had any issues with the safety at all.

Your gun guy needs replacing. I've owned a .416 Rem, two .375's and a .243 Coyote Light. Circumstances (such as moving country) made me sell. They were and are all fine, fine rifles. There's also not much that can go wrong with a Model 70 safety catch, by the way.

Lol your “gun guy” doesn’t know the difference between a Model 70 and a Remington 700.

I actually purchased a brand new M70 Safari express a few years ago and had the the safety lever break. I do not know if this is what your friend is referring to or not. There is a thread on here about it.

hi all,

i am in the process of buying a model 70 safari express in 375 h&h. great gun carrying a lot of history. easy enough, right?

his rationale: there are issues with the safety. so my question is: have you recently acquired a model 70 safari express? could you please share your experiences?

I've mine in 458 since the late's 90 , I'm hunting in gabonese forest since, no problem at all with it.

Yep, what others have said- you need a new gun guy. The Win 70 safety design is what most all consider the best ever designed! It is the safety design that many have their bolt rifles converted to. Your gun guy, may also have heard you wrong or does not listen for comprehension? Also a reason for a new gun guy. There is a big difference between the sound of "Remington Model 700" and "Winchester Model 70".

Have had 5 model 70s over the last 50 years. No issues at all. My favorite safety.

hi all,

In your avatar, what suppressor are you using?

outstanding! thanks, gents! it seems we are settled on this one then,to say it mildly. awesome to get so much feedback so quickly! thanks again!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 3.50.33 PM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 3.50.33 PM Large.jpeg
    270.9 KB · Views: 49
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 3.50.34 PM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 3.50.34 PM Large.jpeg
    139.7 KB · Views: 49
All things can break... I suppose its possible your gun guy has seen or heard of someone that had a bad experience with a Win 70 safety.. but... I think you have to look at the totality of the facts...

There is a reason LOTs of other manufacturers (big and small) have copied the WIN 70 safety and have started putting something similar on their rifles..

They work.. and work well... and have a global reputation for not just their function but also their ergodynamics (very easy to use, access, etc)..

Ask 10 "gun guys" a question about firearms and you'll likely get 10 different responses.. so much in the way of firearms is incredibly subjective..

An exception to this however would be the Win 70 safety... I think you'll find 9.9 gun guys out of 10 will say its an excellent design and extremely "safe" as well..

There's a reason the Model 70 is called "The Rifleman's Rifle." Agree with all the comments supporting the Model 70. I have 4 of them, 270 Win, 30-06, 300 winmag and 375 H&H. No issues at all.
Even Rigby adopted the Model 70 style safety for the double square bridge model of the Big Game as well as the Highland Stalker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg