Model 70 barrel diameter

EjectorSwipe

AH member
Joined
Jun 22, 2025
Messages
28
Reaction score
51
Can somebody with a win model 70 in 458 win tell me what the barrel diameter is at about 20”?
 
0.773" on mine.
which is 0.730" at 23-7/8" length, 2011 make from SC/FN.
 
Last edited:
0.773" on mine.
which is 0.730" at 23-7/8" length, 2011 make from SC/FN.
Another question for you if you don’t mind. I know with the bolt stop, box mag, and ejector mods you can fit a 3.6 oal, but do you happen to know if the model 70 will eject a 3.8 oal without modification to the rear reciever ring? The Wyatt’s magazine looks pretty easy to get done but I’d want to use the whole thing. I like the idea of a 3.8” wm or lott with a wm throat, but want to see if a model 70 is a reasonable way to go.
 
Great Question.
I will check that out when i get home from the rifle range, killing time while my .458 WIN MAG barrel cools right now.
I actually have one of those Wyatt magazine boxes looking for a use.
 
aa001.JPG
aa006.jpg
aa000.jpg
x-1-0.JPG
x-2-1.JPG
x-2-2.JPG

Even the .338 WIN MAG M70 above with a short ejection port and 3.4" blocked box can eject an un-fired cartridge up to 3.600" COL.

IMG_E1315.JPG


All of the M70-actions with unblocked 3.6" mag box length and boltstop-ejector shortening for the longer cartridge ejection timing:

They eject 3.780".

IMG_E1316.JPG

At 3.790" the tip of the bullet hangs on the right front edge of the ejection port.
Taking a divot out there for the bullet tip to clear on ejection would be a minor thing,
like done to many standard length actions opened up to handle .375 H&H.

135 - KKPLu0O.jpg
 
Last edited:
Thank you for the very detailed information. My plan is to buy a stainless classic in a magnum and rebarrel it to 458 with a 20” barrel. Probably would be a 300 or 7mm to start. If I read your post correctly, it sounds like the short ejection port wouldn’t cause an ejection issue at the back and the front could be notched. I’m hoping the long oal will help offset the fps loss from the short barrel.
 
Sounds like a good plan.
My 14th .458 WIN MAG is being done on a .300 WIN MAG M70 "All Weather" from Portugal.
Using a Pac-Nor No. 6 Sporter,
26", fluted, muzzle threaded, 1:10" twist.
Full-grown "All Weather" heh-heh-heh.

Having the longer rear bridge and shorter ejection port makes the rifle look stiffer and stronger.
Either 3.4" or 3.6" mag box length will do for me.
Good luck with a 3.8" box.
 
No detectable velocity loss or pressure elevation with 1:10" instead of 1:14",
and 1:10" is better for supersonic VLD
and subsonic heavies.
I have plenty of slower twists for cast bullets.
Freki the .458 WIN MAG and Tootsie the .458 B&M+
are both 1:10" and excellent.
Muninn the All Weather will be too.

1:14" twist is best all-around twist for a .458 WIN MAG.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,316
Messages
1,572,646
Members
169,598
Latest member
BrigetteLn
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top