Missing shotgun part

Stan Harding

New member
Joined
Dec 19, 2015
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I purchased a Wesley Richards shotgun quite a few years ago without a fore-end. I have taken it to quite a few gunsmiths to see if the can make one for me, but without a drawing or photo they were not interested. It is a box lock action (Ansen & Deeley patent number 6955) I would appreciate it if anyone has any information or a picture of a fore-end of a similar shotgun.
 
Check out this company: http://www.walnutgrovegunstocks.com/

They don't list Ansen & Deely or Westley Richards specifically but since they sell semi-inlets, they might be able to help you find one that will fit or possibly make a one-off for you.
 
Welcome and good luck with the fore end
 
Determine what model the gun is, then Google that model for a picture. Also contact @Red Leg , I think he owns or has owned W R s. He may can send you in the right direction.
 
I purchased a Wesley Richards shotgun quite a few years ago without a fore-end. I have taken it to quite a few gunsmiths to see if the can make one for me, but without a drawing or photo they were not interested. It is a box lock action (Ansen & Deeley patent number 6955) I would appreciate it if anyone has any information or a picture of a fore-end of a similar shotgun.

Even forearms were individually fitted for each gun. In other words, there is no other fore-end iron on the planet that will fit your gun without significant gunmaker effort. Even on basic guns, they were filed out by hand. Therefore, you can't just give someone dimensions to copy. And it will take a real expert to build one and then fit to a forearm of closely matching wood and execute the same checkering pattern. I would start with JJ Perodeau http://jjperodeau.com/ in OK. I don't know if he would take on the project, but he would certainly know who perhaps could/would do it. However, it will be a very expensive investment. I would also note that if the gun was an ejector, that complicates things enormously. Another option is to send it to Westley Richards. But unless your box lock is actually a drop lock, I suspect that effort would cost considerably more than the gun is worth.

Trying to restore these old things are acts of love, not economic common sense. I have in my safe a box-lock 20 bore which I purchased for about 1500 dollars. After having Keith Kearcher re-brown the barrels, Turnbull re-case color the action, and a local stock genius restore the stock, I had put another 2200 into it. I suspect with a little luck I could now sell it for around 2500. It is a fine madness.:(:cry:

Give JJ a call. If the gun is in very good shape otherwise, it might justify the expense, and he would at least give you a truly informed opinion about your options. Best of luck.
 
Last edited:
As I thought, Red Leg has an answer for a W R question. From the post I also learned that each W R has a custom made forearm and none are interchangeable. As long as I continue to read this forum, I will eventually be smart someday! Although not likely to own a W R!!!
 
They were built to a common design - a run of several guns might likely even use a common run of forgings of forearm metal. But all were final filed and fitted by hand to actions and cocking levers which were also filed up by hand. Nothing is interchangeable. And that is true of virtually any English gun you run across.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,363
Messages
1,574,210
Members
169,958
Latest member
JackLaster
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top