Minors Traveling to SA with Firearms

swoobie

AH member
Reaction score
I have a hunt scheduled for my 17 year old son and me this summer in SA. He will turn 18 while we are in Africa. Any issues or concerns with a separate 4457 for him and transport of firearms as a minor? We're both taking two rifles...

A temporary import permit will only be issued at the port of entry to the following persons​

To a foreign visitor for the purpose of hunting.

To a foreign visitor to display the firearm and ammunition at a trade show or collections show or to display firearms and ammunition at a sports or hunting trade show.

To an official of a foreign government or a distinguished foreign visitor so designated by the SA Department of Foreign Affairs.

To a foreign law enforcement officer entering the Republic of South Africa on an officially approved policing assignment. To a foreign visitor to participate in a competitive sports shooting event, organised by recognised business, hunting, sport-shooting or collectors organisation.

If the applicant is twenty one (21) years of age and older.

If the rifles is not semi-automatic or fully automatic of action or hand carbines.

For only one(1) firearm per caliber.

Not more than two hundred (200) rounds of ammunition capable to be fired by the firearm imported.

The above is from SAPs website:

You need to talk with one of the pre-approved permit services. I can’t imagine SAPS would issue a firearm permit to a minor and not sure if 18 or 21 is the requirement. The 4457 gets treated as a US gun license outside US since we don’t have official licenses here. I’m uncertain how many rifles under one name (yours) could get brought into country. There are also restrictions on bringing rifles of the same caliber, but if a pre-approved permit is issued you are fine, but everything will need on your name. Remember it’s also only 11 lbs of ammo allowed for international travel.

Get in contact with Henry at Rifle Permits .com

No. I would think you would just put both rifles in your name.

Why would you go through the hassle of putting one in his name?

Also, not sure the age requirement. I took a rifle to SA by myself when I was 18, but that was 20 years ago.

No. I would think you would just put both rifles in your name.

Why would you go through the hassle of putting one in his name?

Also, not sure the age requirement. I took a rifle to SA by myself when I was 18, but that was 20 years ago.
Just be aware that if you do this the rifles need to be different cartridges

We had planned to each take two rifles, so four total. That's not going to work. Will likely eliminate one of the 375's as we had each planned on taking one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ta88vipofficial

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….