Mine or Theirs?

Take your rifle. You deserve it, the rifle deserves it and the animals deserve it. Taking something like a WR on safari is an absolute dream of mine.

^^^^ ... it's part of the adventure and risk ... ;)
 
Lots of good information and opinions on this thread. For me its Bring my own rifles and book with TWG(Travel With Guns) Patrick.
I have never had an issue traveling with rifles to Africa and cannot begin to feel comfortable shooting someone else's rifle on a dangerous game hunt knowing that I could have brought my own.
My 2 cents on the subject.
HH
 
Not all of us are seasoned traveller's.
My January 2019 South Africa trip was my first and only international trip to date.

I hired a PH rifle, Sako/Swarovski.

We traveled with only carry on (backpacks) that alone got people's attention. Do you have any other luggage? No, was worried I would lose my carry on. The fake porter at Johannesburg saw me coming, scammed me for a fee to lead me to the next gate.

I don't blame anyone for being cautious but taking your own gear is also something I would like to do.
 
Not all of us are seasoned traveller's.
My January 2019 South Africa trip was my first and only international trip to date.

I hired a PH rifle, Sako/Swarovski.

We traveled with only carry on (backpacks) that alone got people's attention. Do you have any other luggage? No, was worried I would lose my carry on. The fake porter at Johannesburg saw me coming, scammed me for a fee to lead me to the next gate.

I don't blame anyone for being cautious but taking your own gear is also something I would like to do.

On my first trip I had a rifle case, suitcase, along with my carry on which was a backpack. In that backpack I had enough clothing for the hunt along with my camera and binoculars and medications. I figured that if my rifle was lost or delayed that I would just rent one, if the suitcase went missing I had the clothes in my backpack.

I also used Travel Express, along with Air 2000 for my rifle permits and a meet and greet. I believe that I had all my bases covered in case anything happened. In the end nothing happened and everything went quite well. I was met coming off of the plane by a gentleman from Air 2000 holding a card with my name on it. From that point on I was whisked through customs and to the area to pick up my suitcase and rifle then onto the SAP's office. Once done there we were escorted up to recheck out suitcases and rifle and then we were left once we hit security on our way to Port Elizabeth.

I think that a lot of hunters worry about a lot of things that with a little bit of planning can be taken care of. Yes, it cost a few dollars for the pre-apprived rifle permit and the meet and greet but in my book it was money well spent that took a lot of worry out of transiting a foreign airport and getting to my destination with all my belongings.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,294
Messages
1,570,827
Members
169,026
Latest member
CelsaBryso
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top