Meet Henry, The World's Oldest Crocodile

It appears that Nile crocs (especially at that size) look more like big alligators than saltwater crocs. Mainly in head size/proportion
Did anyone else think that watching the video?
Maybe we should buy a bunch of them and release them into the Rio Grande?

He would kill that man in an instant if he had the chance
Actually, not necessarily. They’re far more intelligent than that and if they’re in areas that they’re protected and looked after then they CAN actually be fairly safe to be around. Watched an interesting video where a biologist talked about it. Used an example that made me go “holy crap that guys absolutely nuts” then got explained and my mind went “ok..still wouldn’t do that myself” :LOL:

I’ll find it, it’s pretty cool.

It appears that Nile crocs (especially at that size) look more like big alligators than saltwater crocs. Mainly in head size/proportion

As crocs get larger they stop getting longer (as much) and start packing on bone mass. Their heads get far boofier and more solid, lower jaw gets deeper (taller).

My wife and I have a fair bit to do with fossil crocs. Lovely field.

Skip to 11:00 (or watch the whole thing, I like Clint’s content). I’ll add that’s not a Nile croc, nor is it a former man eater like Henry.

As crocs get larger they stop getting longer (as much) and start packing on bone mass. Their heads get far boofier and more solid, lower jaw gets deeper (taller).

My wife and I have a fair bit to do with fossil crocs. Lovely field.
At least fossil crocs don't bite.

Skip to 11:00 (or watch the whole thing, I like Clint’s content). I’ll add that’s not a Nile croc, nor is it a former man eater like Henry.

That was fun, but I still don't want to get close enough to touch a big croc, much less kiss one.

Remember the "tame" warthog story?

That was fun, but I still don't want to get close enough to touch a big croc, much less kiss one.

Remember the "tame" warthog story?
Did it make you nervous too? Sure did for me!

Haven’t heard it. Got a link?

ACM: the video was so boring - I fell asleep….reminded me why I passed up shooting a Croc on my Safari….just had No interest and feel the same way about Hippo (so did my PH). But, it is a frightening looking lizard and one of the last creatures that I’d want to get attacked by (Hyena is the other one that frightens me).
Getting killed by a Lion, Leopard, Elephant (while unpleasant) seems a better end then the “sloppy torture” inflicted by scavengers.

Actually, not necessarily. They’re far more intelligent than that and if they’re in areas that they’re protected and looked after then they CAN actually be fairly safe to be around. Watched an interesting video where a biologist talked about it. Used an example that made me go “holy crap that guys absolutely nuts” then got explained and my mind went “ok..still wouldn’t do that myself” :LOL:

I’ll find it, it’s pretty cool.
Certus: I think we need to define “highly intelligent” — compared to what? A turtle, an iguana ? It’s 1500 lbs and has a brain the size of a golf ball - gonna guess it won’t get into Harvard. I would say intelligence has nothing to do with why a Croc in a pen won’t attack you - it’s a “lack of ambition”, big fat lazy over fed pig…no reason to do anything. At least that’s my National Geographic opinion….I know Nothing about Crocs (or much else!)

I think he’s referring to it knows to overcome its instincts (which is what most people think reptiles are limited to). What we thought of as being dumb animals in the past has turned to mostly be a lack of understanding. Sure it’s not human levels of intelligence. If it was they’d be where we are instead :E Laugh:
Ambition is an intelligence thing. That one certainly didn’t look overfed from what could be seen. Didn’t notice any particularly large fat stores. I used to be in the camp of everything they do is instinctual, but it ain’t. And this isn’t trying to..what’s the term..I bet I spell it wrong but autocorrect may fix! (It just corrected that to “May fox” so I don’t like my chances).
“Anthropomorphise” holy crap I got it.
Yeah anyway so not trying to humanise them, or give them traits they don’t have. It’s moreso people are finally starting to recognise different forms of intillegence.
Plus it don’t need to get into Harvard, it’s already at the top with people doing all the work for it ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlfredoYua

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.