Meditations On Hunting - Jose Ortgeta Y Gasset

Beaufort

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
IMG_3027.jpeg

This is a fairly rare book and the most quoted book in sporting literature. It's the finest work on the essence and ethics of hunting. Today when both hunting and fishing are often condemned, Meditations takes on an even greater significance. Ortega points out that life is a dynamic interchange between man and his surroundings, that hunting is part of man's very nature, that hunting is a universal and impassioned sport...it is the purest form of human happiness. The essence of hunting or fishing involves a complete code of ethics of the most distinguished design. The sportsman who accepts the sporting code of ethics keeps his commandments in the greatest solitude with no witnesses or audience other than the sharp peaks of the mountain, the stern oak and the passing animal.

Here's what other readers have said about Mediations on Hunting. . .

"This is not a "how to" book on hunting, it is a classic study of "why" people hunt. This philosophical treatise was written in 1942 in Lisbon, Spain, and has been cited frequently over the years. It is not an easy read, in that to appreciate what the author is presenting, one must give it some thought. The value to me is this requirement for contemplation. If you hunt or want to better understand hunting, I highly recommend this book."

"Jeff Cooper mentioned this book in his commentaries, and I've been searching for it for some time now. Its central thesis is that hunting is the natural activity of human beings. Our modern world--modern in the sense of the last 10,000 years of technological development being a separation from our origins--makes demands on our time, but the hunter is able to return to our roots and participate again in nature. This book will not convince those who are categorically opposed to hunting, but as Cooper would remind us, rabbits rarely feel sympathy for the fox."

This book, in its 1972 printing, sells for as much as $450 on Abe Books. The 2007 printing sells for $525 on Amazon and paperback versions sell for $214!

This is a 1972 printing and is in very good condition. $250 includes shipping within the United States. I prefer a check or money order but will consider Zelle.

Great book and a must have for a good hunting library. I have this wonderful book in English and Spanish. GLWS.

Safe hunting

I agree! After retiring, and building a smaller "down-sizer" house without a proper library, I am moving to an iPad to read books. Some books, like this one, are just meant to be held and enjoyed! I just don't have the space for them anymore!

View attachment 545120

This is a fairly rare book and the most quoted book in sporting literature. It's the finest work on the essence and ethics of hunting. Today when both hunting and fishing are often condemned, Meditations takes on an even greater significance. Ortega points out that life is a dynamic interchange between man and his surroundings, that hunting is part of man's very nature, that hunting is a universal and impassioned sport...it is the purest form of human happiness. The essence of hunting or fishing involves a complete code of ethics of the most distinguished design. The sportsman who accepts the sporting code of ethics keeps his commandments in the greatest solitude with no witnesses or audience other than the sharp peaks of the mountain, the stern oak and the passing animal.

Here's what other readers have said about Mediations on Hunting. . .

"This is not a "how to" book on hunting, it is a classic study of "why" people hunt. This philosophical treatise was written in 1942 in Lisbon, Spain, and has been cited frequently over the years. It is not an easy read, in that to appreciate what the author is presenting, one must give it some thought. The value to me is this requirement for contemplation. If you hunt or want to better understand hunting, I highly recommend this book."

"Jeff Cooper mentioned this book in his commentaries, and I've been searching for it for some time now. Its central thesis is that hunting is the natural activity of human beings. Our modern world--modern in the sense of the last 10,000 years of technological development being a separation from our origins--makes demands on our time, but the hunter is able to return to our roots and participate again in nature. https://edubirdie.com/do-my-homework helps me do my homework when I am pressed for time. This book will not convince those who are categorically opposed to hunting, but as Cooper would remind us, rabbits rarely feel sympathy for the fox."

This book, in its 1972 printing, sells for as much as $450 on Abe Books. The 2007 printing sells for $525 on Amazon and paperback versions sell for $214!

This is a 1972 printing and is in very good condition. $250 includes shipping within the United States. I prefer a check or money order but will consider Zelle.

Yup, I agree it's well-written and passionate, but I see it a little bit one-sided. I mean the book might address more deeply the concerns of those who oppose hunting on ethical grounds, nor does she acknowledge the potential negative impacts of hunting on wildlife and the environment...

The assumption that hunting is a natural and necessary part of human existence is challenged by some anthropologists and historians.

I'm saying it in a really friendly mode, I just researched this masterpiece about hunting for my weekly book club.

Cheers,
Margaret

I have this copy and agree that it is an excellent philosophical reflection on hunting.

"One does not hunt to kill, one kills to have hunted." Participating in the natural order of things.

Free bump for a great book.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CorinneBro

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double