Meat processing

AustinL

AH enthusiast
Joined
Feb 1, 2018
Messages
352
Reaction score
1,088
Location
Kerrville, Tx
Media
160
Hunting reports
Africa
1
USA/Canada
7
Hunted
USA, South Africa
As our deer season opened this weekend we spent the day knocking out a 50lb batch of sausage that will be smoked and dried.

All links are stuffed tied and resting in the fridge. We will smoke them in the morning and start the ac after that. Should be done in about a week to 10 days

55174FD4-7A0D-4821-B26E-4ECE5E1A64EE.jpeg
0ECFC777-7434-4E49-936C-BB55A4059066.jpeg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds awesome! Where’s smell-o-computer when you need it...
 
Very nice, I'd like to get into sausage making sometime. My brother has some friends who will do sausages for the cost of pork butt so I have a pretty good deal going on now.
 
Last edited:
Having done a fair few larger batches of sausage, I know what goes into making that amount in the home process. Lots of good eating right there.
 
We do quite a bit each year and have acquired some pretty good equipment which helps. Our smokehouse is 4x8 so we can do a pretty good batch at a time. We also have a window unit ac hooked up on it to aid in temp control and moisture removal during the drying process

Got the smoke rolling right now
 
Just my luck I get a batch in the smokehouse and it decides to rain just about everyday since that time.

A little behind schedule but should be ready to go in the next 4-5 days
 
We have that job to look forward to in the near future. I got tired of paying someone to do it for me and enjoy the process. I've never smoked anything though. We bought a Bradley smoker on sale a year ago but haven't taken it out of the box yet! Gotta admit I'm a little intimidated since I don't know what I'm doing. But everybody wants smokies!
 
We have that job to look forward to in the near future. I got tired of paying someone to do it for me and enjoy the process. I've never smoked anything though. We bought a Bradley smoker on sale a year ago but haven't taken it out of the box yet! Gotta admit I'm a little intimidated since I don't know what I'm doing. But everybody wants smokies!
Don't be afraid. sausagemaker.com is a great resource. Lots of how-to articles and decent prices on supplies
 
Just jump in and do it nothing more satisfying than a freezer full of meat that you have brought from field to table.

Lots of good books on the subject as well as a wealth of information online. Next up will be a run of jalapeño and cheese summer sausage
 
Here is what I do to a lot of my deer meat. Pack in jars pressure cooker for 75 min. This is great to thicken and eat on potatoes, rice, or noodles. Even makes a great stew.
 
Here is what I do to a lot of my deer meat. Pack in jars pressure cooker for 75 min. This is great to thicken and eat on potatoes, rice, or noodles. Even makes a great stew.
Here's a photo
IMG_20181207_130149.jpeg
 
I have thought about canning just have not worked up the nerve yet.

Did just finish our first batch of summer sausage. Seasoning blend needs some tweaking but should have a solid recipe after the next go
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,427
Messages
1,575,895
Members
170,459
Latest member
Roman96B66
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top