Mauser KAR98 Caliber Recommendations

CraigV

AH veteran
Joined
Jan 12, 2022
Messages
176
Reaction score
563
Location
North Central Idaho
Morning AH,

Still new to the Forum, and enjoying all the discussions.

I just picked up a 1909 Amberg KAR 98 Mauser. Barrel, action and parts appear to be original (some NO's not matching though), and the stock has been "sporterized". My thought was to have this turned into proper hunting rifle - new caliber, stock, etc. I want to keep it iron sights, classic style.

So, looking for caliber recommendations for this build. Not limited to either DG or PG.

I'm also looking for a good gunsmith here in the North Central Idaho area if anyone has any recommendations. I had a great one back in North Carolina, but if possible, would like to find someone within a few hours of me.

I'll post some pics when I have the rifle in hand.

Thanks!
 
I have used Karl of Kampfeld Customs in Sandpoint, ID a and have been pleased.
 
I am in the same spot as you, building up a 9.3x62mm on mine. I ordered a barrel (“drop in”) in heavy profile that I intend to have installed once the headspace gauges arrive (backordered). using a barrel sling swivel from Talley & banded front sight from NECG. I chose 9.3 x 62 because of its history on specifically mauser actions….. & its outstanding capability to take all animals in North America cleanly if the shooter does their part. I ordered a safari classic stock from Richards Microfit & will be inletting & installing crossbolts later in the projects life.
 
I chose 35 Whelen, with no regrets thus far - I’ll let others extol the virtues. Lots of good choices…. I suggest you consider the style of hunting rifle you want - ie British express rifle, something more continental, or more like a G&H, or a combination based on your own preferences.
 
If that receiver is small ring, with large thread barrel shank, then they can stretch. Just an FYI.
 
I am in the same spot as you, building up a 9.3x62mm on mine. I ordered a barrel (“drop in”) in heavy profile that I intend to have installed once the headspace gauges arrive (backordered). using a barrel sling swivel from Talley & banded front sight from NECG. I chose 9.3 x 62 because of its history on specifically mauser actions….. & its outstanding capability to take all animals in North America cleanly if the shooter does their part. I ordered a safari classic stock from Richards Microfit & will be inletting & installing crossbolts later in the projects life.
Tomb,

Where did you get your barrel from? 9.3 x 62 seems to be a popular choice. I'll give it s good looking at.
 
I chose 35 Whelen, with no regrets thus far - I’ll let others extol the virtues. Lots of good choices…. I suggest you consider the style of hunting rifle you want - ie British express rifle, something more continental, or more like a G&H, or a combination based on your own preferences.
318,
Good points. It will be for North America game. I'm thinking somewhere around a 22" barrel, with a classic style. I saw some pre-fit's in the 35 Remington cal (I know not 35 Whelen), and I already have an old Marlin 336 in that cal, so it would be nice to maybe build it in something I already have, and don't have to add another caliber to source.
 
If that receiver is small ring, with large thread barrel shank, then they can stretch. Just an FYI.
Delloro,
I honestly don't know which size it is. It's not in my hands right now. I'd like to not have to have a bunch of extra work done if possible. I want to be able to put it together with a caliber that suits the current action size. I know I can get different bottom metal to support different rounds, so have some latitude there. Good info though!
 
Delloro,
I honestly don't know which size it is. It's not in my hands right now. I'd like to not have to have a bunch of extra work done if possible. I want to be able to put it together with a caliber that suits the current action size. I know I can get different bottom metal to support different rounds, so have some latitude there. Good info though!
Can tell ring size from a pic.

mauserlargesmall.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Small ring, and looks like large thread.

Some advise to avoid high pressure rounds.

I'll see if I can send pics of what Kuhnhausen said about it.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,415
Messages
1,575,537
Members
170,351
Latest member
TerriBerub
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top