Mauser 98 bolt welding

They didn't have a TIG but brazing and or welding with a oxy/acetylene torch and a rod would work quite well.
 
I had a friend with the tig setup that utilizes a foot controller. He said that once the puddle is made, he was able to lower the temperature. That combined with the steel heatsink from Brownells, he didn’t even need any heat paste. It made a very nice bead that I was able to clean up with jewelers files and a bit of sandpaper. That cam near the bolt root is still as hard as it was before. PM me if you’d like to borrow the heat sink. It’s for a large ring 98.
 
No the old timers did not have Tig but it's no reason not to use it where is available to you. It does focus the heat a little better.
 
Last edited:
Absolutely correct the cocking cam is the area to be concerned about, the fit of the parts is vital the handle & stub of the bolt body needs a "weld prep" ground in to it, set it up in a jig use a heat sink in the rear of the bolt & heat resistant paste , tack weld it top & bottom check it for fit & alignment then complete the welding, a MIG works well with .8 wire practice on a 1/2 inch bolt or steel rod first you can not afford to screw this up. the other thing is to cover the entire bolt body
with wet cloth or anti splater grease to stop weld splatter if using a MIG.
 
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
70,316
Messages
1,572,670
Members
169,602
Latest member
EvaOliva6
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top