Mauser 98 bolt welding

They didn't have a TIG but brazing and or welding with a oxy/acetylene torch and a rod would work quite well.

I had a friend with the tig setup that utilizes a foot controller. He said that once the puddle is made, he was able to lower the temperature. That combined with the steel heatsink from Brownells, he didn’t even need any heat paste. It made a very nice bead that I was able to clean up with jewelers files and a bit of sandpaper. That cam near the bolt root is still as hard as it was before. PM me if you’d like to borrow the heat sink. It’s for a large ring 98.

No the old timers did not have Tig but it's no reason not to use it where is available to you. It does focus the heat a little better.

Last edited:
Absolutely correct the cocking cam is the area to be concerned about, the fit of the parts is vital the handle & stub of the bolt body needs a "weld prep" ground in to it, set it up in a jig use a heat sink in the rear of the bolt & heat resistant paste , tack weld it top & bottom check it for fit & alignment then complete the welding, a MIG works well with .8 wire practice on a 1/2 inch bolt or steel rod first you can not afford to screw this up. the other thing is to cover the entire bolt body
with wet cloth or anti splater grease to stop weld splatter if using a MIG.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois