Market for .450/.400 double?

A most enjoyable read! Also interesting to note there is little changed since I went DR shopping a few years ago.

Being a bit eccentric, after going through all such shopping as above, I decided on a couple of American caliber doubles custom made from foreign makers products, Beretta and Simson & Co.
My .405 WCF rifle and double rifle shoot the same bullet as the 450/400 and at the same velocity.
My .458 DR performance runs a little less that of a .458 Win Mag, but I found the North Fork 450 grain bullets at 2150 fps sufficient for all African game, and settled for that proven performance.

If having a DR the same caliber as ones single barrel rifle may seem a bit eccentric, so be it.

@Aaron N - thank you! I bought my classic doubles respectively from George Caswell (P. Webley hammer .450 BPE) and J. J. Perodeau (this one). Like so many of you, there are very few other businesses from whom I'd buy a used double--and it would HAVE to come with load data and a target.

Re. Chapuis, the truly gorgeous rifle that @Max Simmons bought from J. J. is very similar to the new Iphisi--sans the engraving. The main differences are caliber (for now it only comes in .375 H&H to keep the price under $10K), a much less pronounced beavertail forend, and the mounting system--Talley for the Iphisi Vs. Recknagel for the traditional Brousse (Elan here in the US). Well done on this unique gun.

A word on Chapuis and the .450-400. The factory has temporarily suspended all doubles in this caliber because of lack of ammunition--specifically Hornady DGX, which is what they regulate with. We got an ammo export permit on the US end in case the ammo becomes available in good quantities again. Europe is completely dried up.
I have a stash of DGX from a couple years ago, but I haven't seen any recently. DGS is more than plentiful on the internet now, and it's never disappointed me while facing down a herd of angry gallon jugs. I'll have custom handloads made for when I have to fire it with bad intentions.

Would you mind sharing the link if there is one?

Post #17. Basically "let recoil happen" and roll with the recoil.

+1 on Rookhawk. The question is can you handle the 470 recoil. I am 6:2 225 pounds and even with proper technique was too much gun for me to enjoy shooting it
I can sympathize on the recoil. I have moderate to severe arthritis and a torn rotator cuff in my right(shooting) shoulder. I hated to do it but I had to sell my beloved 375HH. I couldn't take the recoil any more even with a Past shield.

Thank y

Post #17. Basically "let recoil happen" and roll with the recoil.
Thank you!

Heym double 88b affordable great quality fair price. Heym 89b again great quality and lines expensive, but again fair for what it is.

If you are undecided on a Sabatti, get ahold of gunsmith Ken Owens, Moscow Tenn. He bought up all of the bad ones and made them top shooters. No one knows more about them than Ken.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnswift

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you