Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI ; Rowland Ward
Hunted
United States ; South Africa
Question: I would like to bring a mamba (dead) back to the U.S. for a mount. I took a honey badger last trip and I am going for one more this upcoming trip and would like to have the honey badgers fighting the mamba. Are there any laws or regulations from bringing back to the U.S.? Have any of you done this before?

dt

They ship live ones to the U.S. all the time.............I don't know why they shouldn't let you bring a dead one back. As for paperwork, I'm not sure...........I would imagine that the skin would have to be dip/packed like any other specimen, so the venom glands shouldn't be an issue.

Now I'm curious as well.........................

Tha
They ship live ones to the U.S. all the time.............I don't know why they shouldn't let you bring a dead one back. As for paperwork, I'm not sure...........I would imagine that the skin would have to be dip/packed like any other specimen, so the venom glands shouldn't be an issue.

Now I'm curious as well.........................
Thanks - my taxidermist is looking into as well and discussed making sure we did a good job of preserving the head. Also told my PH I don't need to be there when the mamba is killed;) hoping for a big monster!

dt

Have you considered a puff adder instead ? They are more colorful.

When dtarin09 originally posted this, I thought that a cobra, with it's hood flattened out and elevated over the honey badger, might make a better mount.......but I can see the "mamba thing"; I think it would look neat with its body in a "S" shape, neck flattened, and mouth gaping showing that black lining.......I think it would look rather cool.
The problem is: all the taxidermied snakes I've seen look like..........well...........taxidermeid snakes! None really look "real"; kind of takes away from the mount.:(

Question: I would like to bring a mamba (dead) back to the U.S. for a mount. I took a honey badger last trip and I am going for one more this upcoming trip and would like to have the honey badgers fighting the mamba. Are there any laws or regulations from bringing back to the U.S.? Have any of you done this before?

dt
I am with you, I think a Mamba would be super cool.

When dtarin09 originally posted this, I thought that a cobra, with it's hood flattened out and elevated over the honey badger, might make a better mount.......but I can see the "mamba thing"; I think it would look neat with its body in a "S" shape, neck flattened, and mouth gaping showing that black lining.......I think it would look rather cool.
The problem is: all the taxidermied snakes I've seen look like..........well...........taxidermeid snakes! None really look "real"; kind of takes away from the mount.:(
Great response on texaidermy and snakes - I agree don't look real. Hoping some taxidermists will chime in. Had also thought about a green mamba for color.

dt

Here is a photo of a mounted black mamba; I found it just by googling "black mamba taxidermy"....this is similar to the pose that I had suggested.
Black-Mamba2_zpsxsyhovxu.jpg

I don't think that a green mamba would be very realistic for your scenario.....green mambas are primarily aboreal; honey badgers aren't;)

Attachments

• Black-Mamba2_zpsxsyhovxu.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 557
Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on the Honey Badger! However, I got close to a mamba & a member of the cobra family.... Both unintentional..... I ain't going hunting/looking for one!!!! Good luck!

Here is a photo of a mounted black mamba; I found it just by googling "black mamba taxidermy"....this is similar to the pose that I had suggested.

I don't think that a green mamba would be very realistic for your scenario.....green mambas are primarily aboreal; honey badgers aren't;)
That looks pretty real to me - would be cool to have both badgers in a face off with the mamba! Thanks for sharing.

dt

Congrats on the Honey Badger! However, I got close to a mamba & a member of the cobra family.... Both unintentional..... I ain't going hunting/looking for one!!!! Good luck!
I will let my PH take care of that and I hopefully I will not encounter by accident.

dt

If you place the badger and mamba mounts on your porch......you definitely not going to get unwanted night visitors..

Very interesting, cant say I have seen a request like that. Maybe ask your taxidermy regarding permits etc?

Very interesting, cant say I have seen a request like that. Maybe ask your taxidermy regarding permits etc?
My taxidermist is looking into - so far no word as it is his first request for a snake. Will keep y'all posted and hoping others may share their experience.

dt

Was informed today that indeed mambas could be imported (dead) back to the U.S. Was told to make sure when filling out the sheets to specify the type of mamba as their are 5.

dt

Black mamba, Jameson's mamba, Eastern and Western green mamba,no idea of 5th.

Dendroaspis polylepis, is the black mamba.

I just want the dead mamba;) Will have both honey badgers fighting the mamba. Super pumped,

We all prefer them dead..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marquesgriffin

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois