Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI ; Rowland Ward
Hunted
United States ; South Africa
Question: I would like to bring a mamba (dead) back to the U.S. for a mount. I took a honey badger last trip and I am going for one more this upcoming trip and would like to have the honey badgers fighting the mamba. Are there any laws or regulations from bringing back to the U.S.? Have any of you done this before?

dt

Mr. 16 gauge

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
They ship live ones to the U.S. all the time.............I don't know why they shouldn't let you bring a dead one back. As for paperwork, I'm not sure...........I would imagine that the skin would have to be dip/packed like any other specimen, so the venom glands shouldn't be an issue.

Now I'm curious as well.........................

dtarin09

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI ; Rowland Ward
Hunted
Tha
They ship live ones to the U.S. all the time.............I don't know why they shouldn't let you bring a dead one back. As for paperwork, I'm not sure...........I would imagine that the skin would have to be dip/packed like any other specimen, so the venom glands shouldn't be an issue.

Now I'm curious as well.........................
Thanks - my taxidermist is looking into as well and discussed making sure we did a good job of preserving the head. Also told my PH I don't need to be there when the mamba is killed;) hoping for a big monster!

dt

dtarin09

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI ; Rowland Ward
Hunted
If anyone has mounts of African snakes and/or badgers would love to see.

dt

Nyati

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
RFEC, RFETO
Hunted
Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
Have you considered a puff adder instead ? They are more colorful.

Mr. 16 gauge

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
When dtarin09 originally posted this, I thought that a cobra, with it's hood flattened out and elevated over the honey badger, might make a better mount.......but I can see the "mamba thing"; I think it would look neat with its body in a "S" shape, neck flattened, and mouth gaping showing that black lining.......I think it would look rather cool.
The problem is: all the taxidermied snakes I've seen look like..........well...........taxidermeid snakes! None really look "real"; kind of takes away from the mount.:(

Mekaniks

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI, RMEF
Hunted
AK, WY, WA, ID, FL, SD, TX, HI, South Africa- Northwest Province
Question: I would like to bring a mamba (dead) back to the U.S. for a mount. I took a honey badger last trip and I am going for one more this upcoming trip and would like to have the honey badgers fighting the mamba. Are there any laws or regulations from bringing back to the U.S.? Have any of you done this before?

dt
I am with you, I think a Mamba would be super cool.

dtarin09

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI ; Rowland Ward
Hunted
When dtarin09 originally posted this, I thought that a cobra, with it's hood flattened out and elevated over the honey badger, might make a better mount.......but I can see the "mamba thing"; I think it would look neat with its body in a "S" shape, neck flattened, and mouth gaping showing that black lining.......I think it would look rather cool.
The problem is: all the taxidermied snakes I've seen look like..........well...........taxidermeid snakes! None really look "real"; kind of takes away from the mount.:(
Great response on texaidermy and snakes - I agree don't look real. Hoping some taxidermists will chime in. Had also thought about a green mamba for color.

dt

Mr. 16 gauge

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Here is a photo of a mounted black mamba; I found it just by googling "black mamba taxidermy"....this is similar to the pose that I had suggested.

I don't think that a green mamba would be very realistic for your scenario.....green mambas are primarily aboreal; honey badgers aren't;)

Attachments

• Black-Mamba2_zpsxsyhovxu.jpg
    Black-Mamba2_zpsxsyhovxu.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 400
Last edited by a moderator:

BWH

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Ducks Unlimited, Texas Trophy Hunters, Trout Unlimited, SCI, DSC & NRA
Hunted
USA & RSA
Congrats on the Honey Badger! However, I got close to a mamba & a member of the cobra family.... Both unintentional..... I ain't going hunting/looking for one!!!! Good luck!

dtarin09

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI ; Rowland Ward
Hunted
Here is a photo of a mounted black mamba; I found it just by googling "black mamba taxidermy"....this is similar to the pose that I had suggested.

I don't think that a green mamba would be very realistic for your scenario.....green mambas are primarily aboreal; honey badgers aren't;)
That looks pretty real to me - would be cool to have both badgers in a face off with the mamba! Thanks for sharing.

dt

dtarin09

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI ; Rowland Ward
Hunted
Congrats on the Honey Badger! However, I got close to a mamba & a member of the cobra family.... Both unintentional..... I ain't going hunting/looking for one!!!! Good luck!
I will let my PH take care of that and I hopefully I will not encounter by accident.

dt

siml

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
SOUTH AFRICA, BOTSWANA, NAMIBIA, ZIMBABWE, MOZAMBIQUE, ENGLAND, U.S.A
If you place the badger and mamba mounts on your porch......you definitely not going to get unwanted night visitors..

petrusg

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DCS, PHASA, SA Hunters, Xtreem Archery, Rowland Ward, WRSA
Hunted
South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe
Very interesting, cant say I have seen a request like that. Maybe ask your taxidermy regarding permits etc?

dtarin09

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI ; Rowland Ward
Hunted
Very interesting, cant say I have seen a request like that. Maybe ask your taxidermy regarding permits etc?
My taxidermist is looking into - so far no word as it is his first request for a snake. Will keep y'all posted and hoping others may share their experience.

dt

dtarin09

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI ; Rowland Ward
Hunted
Was informed today that indeed mambas could be imported (dead) back to the U.S. Was told to make sure when filling out the sheets to specify the type of mamba as their are 5.

dt

siml

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Black mamba, Jameson's mamba, Eastern and Western green mamba,no idea of 5th.

Dendroaspis polylepis, is the black mamba.

dtarin09

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI ; Rowland Ward
Hunted
I just want the dead mamba;) Will have both honey badgers fighting the mamba. Super pumped,

siml

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
We all prefer them dead..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deanow06

Latest profile posts

DGGardner wrote on Rare Breed's profile.
I'm sure I am a day late and a dollar short but if the deal on the .416 falls through let me know and I will buy it.
Pondoro wrote on Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS's profile.
Hello...could you please pm me regarding what species available on this fly-camp offer....can cape buffalo be taken for instance..? Trophy prices..?
matt vejar wrote on kevin masters's profile.
Kevin,
Played rookie league for the Yankees in Paintsville after winning the College World Series at Fullerton State, in1979. All I could think about was the movie “Deliverance”- lived up in a hollow with some other players. Refused to go on a moonshine run because it was a dry county-no way. Met some of the nicest people on the planet there! Van Lear the home of Loretta Lynn was highlight of summer LOL.
Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...