Making Smallgoods Salamis etc

@CraigV
That's about all you will get is a sliver, he won't even give you a Bundy to wash it down.
Ha ha ha ha ha
Bob
There's always a bottle here. I will shout any AH member a Bundy.

As for making Salami and eating heaps I fell into that trap with Homebrew Beer.

Its not cheap if I make it to give it away I may as well save for that Blaser. I'm right so I'm gonna have to re-assess.

But my sausage filler from eBay arrived today. I dusted off an hand mincer and I have more goodies coming in the post.

Ok, I have some stuff on order. Including Starter culture.
I found a cheap sausage filler on eBay.

Does anyone have any feedback on Smokers?

I could have bought an Aldi supermarket special for $250, seems to be the typical gas type of smoker.
Then Bunnings had a Pit Boss electronic pellet smoker $700.

The Pit Boss is thicker material, double skinned and thermostat controlled with an electronic pellet feed.it has ceramic coated Racks, I assume that's for easy cleaning etc. I'm thinking thermostat controlled electric is set and forget but has can be regulated and set.

I called @425SCHADE and asked about his smoker and experience. I was on the fence and almost about to shelve the idea but it's good to bounce ideas off others and overthink the options.

I did not buy either but thinking someone might have experience with Pit Boss, I think it's American design.

I'm going to start on the fresh and fermented stuff first.But curious to find what people say about smokers.
I had a "Masterbuilt" smoker for a while. When it worked good, it was pretty flawless, but when the digital control unit started acting wonky, had to place close attention to it.

We do up big batches, and as someone else mentioned, stuff them in the vacuum seal bags, and put to rest in the deep freeze. It's never as good, but close.

image.jpg

I have found some good ones in this book over time to apply to wild game as well

I think there is a lot of luck involved without the proper gear. But it's been done by many . Were they masters or just lucky to fall within acceptable parameters.

I haven't done it yet but the stuff I've tried is good and it's a basic traditional style as evolved from the old ways.
It’s all about temperature and time don’t worry too much as long as you get enough cure on it/ in it. I made 40 lbs of venison sausage this year and my wife loves it so just have fun with it and make a book of what you like.

Some of the spoils from my work, waiting patiently
16567407454717584960959033606623.jpg

That looks like some very nice fat chucks!!! Fat is flavor!!!
One of the 2 batches the fat was diced about 10mm square. The other is coarse mince with the meat.
2x5kg batches made itj a slight change up in seasoning.
I also made some in the Umai type charcuterie bags for curing in the refrigerator. Apparently these can be used to make Smallgoods in warm weather where you might normally be restricted to Winter curing.

One of the 2 batches the fat was diced about 10mm square. The other is coarse mince with the meat.
2x5kg batches made itj a slight change up in seasoning.
I also made some in the Umai type charcuterie bags for curing in the refrigerator. Apparently these can be used to make Smallgoods in warm weather where you might normally be restricted to Winter curing.
@CBH Australia
So when are you sending me some mate

@CBH Australia
So when are you sending me some mate
It's not ready yet Bob, it might go mouldy in the post.

And, until I've done some thorough product development and taste testing it wouldn't be right to expect you to eat it and there are 4 in my house at the moment and I think I will have many friends locally trying to get a sliver and it might not be to your taste and I might eat it all before I can send it and I can't wait to try it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeviEbswor

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.