major differences between hornady loading manuals

matt85

AH legend
Joined
Jan 7, 2014
Messages
3,655
Reaction score
4,889
Location
WA, USA
Media
30
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
I just started reloading the .375 H&H and i landed a box of 300gr Hornady BT SP bullets and some used brass along with 1/4 pound of H4895 powder. i have a copy of hornady's 4th edition reloading manual and i just purchased a new copy of hornady's 9th edition manual from cabelas.

the point of this thread is i just noticed a major different between the loads in these books regarding H4895 powder with a 300gr bullet. here are the loads:

4th edition: (min) 63.2gr = 2300fps, 66.2gr = 2400fps, 69.2gr = 2500fps, 70.6gr = 2550fps (max)

9th edition: (min) 53.2gr = 2100fps, 56.6gr = 2200fps, 60gr = 2300fps, 63.4gr = 2400, 66.8gr = 2500 (max)

now im curious why there is such a huge difference between the loads? i know the 4th edition is old but has H4895 changed that much? thoughts?

to play it on the safe side ill be following the 9th edition for reloading Hornady bullets for now on.

thanks
-matt
 
there is basically 3 grains difference, not unheard of in 23 years, also the pressure measuring systems today are much better than those 20 years ago.

as i was taught start low and work your way up to the velocity/ accuracy you are looking for watching for pressure signs -- flat primers, sticky bolt, ejector marks are things you don't want.

if it was me i would be starting in the 57 gn range with 1 shot and work up in .5 increments checking for pressure and velocity. when you found the velocity you wanted at a safe pressure then drop 1.5 grains and do 3 shot groups to find the node or use quick load to find the best barrel timing and load around that.
 
so H4895 produced more velocity 23 years ago?

-matt
 
so H4895 produced more velocity 23 years ago?

-matt

My guess is the chronograph information today is more accurate than years ago....technology is improving

My friend Scott, says a lot of information in reloading manuals is exaggerated.
 
My guess is the chronograph information today is more accurate than years ago....technology is improving

My friend Scott, says a lot of information in reloading manuals is exaggerated.

See that's why I use factory ammo.... the velocities on the box always match the chronograph.... PPPPFFFFFF!!!!! Same as reloading manuals...
 
See that's why I use factory ammo.... the velocities on the box always match the chronograph.... PPPPFFFFFF!!!!! Same as reloading manuals...

A lot of people get worked up over differences of data but I'll be honest, accuracy and performance of the bullet are to me the most important items. If you don't have accuracy and good performance well....velocity does affect tragedy, so long range shooting can be greatly effected.
 
I just figured that with all the liability cases that have been brought forth and won against anybody and everybody that manufactures or publishes anything, that the company attorneys convinced the manufacturers to back off on loads they publish. I have reloading manuals dating back to the first ones ever produced, the loads are quite a bit hotter in most of them. I have been using those max loads for 40 years and have never had any pressure problems. I do recommend starting light and working up though, it's the only safe way to find out what your gun will handle. And remember that unless your hunting or shooting extreme long range, those couple extra fps aren't going to amount to anything. So start loading light and work your way up and have fun.
 
Bullets have changed too. May it be that the bullets listed are different between the two editions? Bullets are not created equal, and one can give higher pressures than another with the same load. My feeling is that much of the data given years ago was highly inflated as most shooters didnt yet own chronographs and many now do, so the manuals had to stop being quite so optimistic,, well some at least! The current Hornady has shown to be pretty close to my own chronoed speeds as is the latest Barnes book I have. I have loaded up TripleShocks for both rifles I plan to use this June. One is my .405 Win and the other my late dads .284 Win. With the loads I have for both there is scarce little difference between the book and the clock.
 
I just started reloading the .375 H&H and i landed a box of 300gr Hornady BT SP bullets and some used brass along with 1/4 pound of H4895 powder. i have a copy of hornady's 4th edition reloading manual and i just purchased a new copy of hornady's 9th edition manual from cabelas.

the point of this thread is i just noticed a major different between the loads in these books regarding H4895 powder with a 300gr bullet. here are the loads:

4th edition: (min) 63.2gr = 2300fps, 66.2gr = 2400fps, 69.2gr = 2500fps, 70.6gr = 2550fps (max)

9th edition: (min) 53.2gr = 2100fps, 56.6gr = 2200fps, 60gr = 2300fps, 63.4gr = 2400, 66.8gr = 2500 (max)

now im curious why there is such a huge difference between the loads? i know the 4th edition is old but has H4895 changed that much? thoughts?

to play it on the safe side ill be following the 9th edition for reloading Hornady bullets for now on.

thanks
-matt
I suspect somewhere, somehow, you can thank a lawyer for that.
 
All of the above and they may have used different test barrels.
 
given that the 4350s give more velocity at less pressure to 300 gn 375 bullets, does it really matter what happens with 4895?
bruce.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,319
Messages
1,572,858
Members
169,631
Latest member
ONJKassie
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top