major differences between hornady loading manuals

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
I just started reloading the .375 H&H and i landed a box of 300gr Hornady BT SP bullets and some used brass along with 1/4 pound of H4895 powder. i have a copy of hornady's 4th edition reloading manual and i just purchased a new copy of hornady's 9th edition manual from cabelas.

the point of this thread is i just noticed a major different between the loads in these books regarding H4895 powder with a 300gr bullet. here are the loads:

4th edition: (min) 63.2gr = 2300fps, 66.2gr = 2400fps, 69.2gr = 2500fps, 70.6gr = 2550fps (max)

9th edition: (min) 53.2gr = 2100fps, 56.6gr = 2200fps, 60gr = 2300fps, 63.4gr = 2400, 66.8gr = 2500 (max)

now im curious why there is such a huge difference between the loads? i know the 4th edition is old but has H4895 changed that much? thoughts?

to play it on the safe side ill be following the 9th edition for reloading Hornady bullets for now on.

thanks
-matt

Biggdawg

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Izaak walton league of america
there is basically 3 grains difference, not unheard of in 23 years, also the pressure measuring systems today are much better than those 20 years ago.

as i was taught start low and work your way up to the velocity/ accuracy you are looking for watching for pressure signs -- flat primers, sticky bolt, ejector marks are things you don't want.

if it was me i would be starting in the 57 gn range with 1 shot and work up in .5 increments checking for pressure and velocity. when you found the velocity you wanted at a safe pressure then drop 1.5 grains and do 3 shot groups to find the node or use quick load to find the best barrel timing and load around that.

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
so H4895 produced more velocity 23 years ago?

-matt

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
so H4895 produced more velocity 23 years ago?

-matt

My guess is the chronograph information today is more accurate than years ago....technology is improving

My friend Scott, says a lot of information in reloading manuals is exaggerated.

35bore

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA,Missouri hunters ed, SCI, Owensville Gun Club, Quail Forever
Hunted
USA, South Africa, France
My guess is the chronograph information today is more accurate than years ago....technology is improving

My friend Scott, says a lot of information in reloading manuals is exaggerated.

See that's why I use factory ammo.... the velocities on the box always match the chronograph.... PPPPFFFFFF!!!!! Same as reloading manuals...

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
See that's why I use factory ammo.... the velocities on the box always match the chronograph.... PPPPFFFFFF!!!!! Same as reloading manuals...

A lot of people get worked up over differences of data but I'll be honest, accuracy and performance of the bullet are to me the most important items. If you don't have accuracy and good performance well....velocity does affect tragedy, so long range shooting can be greatly effected.

jduckhunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
DU, JSA, NAHC( Life member), NRA (Life member)
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, USA (PA ,WY,TX,MT,AK,NJ,DE,VA,WV,SD,MA,NC,FL,MD) Canada (QC,NF,ON,NT,NWT,BC), New Zealand
I just figured that with all the liability cases that have been brought forth and won against anybody and everybody that manufactures or publishes anything, that the company attorneys convinced the manufacturers to back off on loads they publish. I have reloading manuals dating back to the first ones ever produced, the loads are quite a bit hotter in most of them. I have been using those max loads for 40 years and have never had any pressure problems. I do recommend starting light and working up though, it's the only safe way to find out what your gun will handle. And remember that unless your hunting or shooting extreme long range, those couple extra fps aren't going to amount to anything. So start loading light and work your way up and have fun.

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
Bullets have changed too. May it be that the bullets listed are different between the two editions? Bullets are not created equal, and one can give higher pressures than another with the same load. My feeling is that much of the data given years ago was highly inflated as most shooters didnt yet own chronographs and many now do, so the manuals had to stop being quite so optimistic,, well some at least! The current Hornady has shown to be pretty close to my own chronoed speeds as is the latest Barnes book I have. I have loaded up TripleShocks for both rifles I plan to use this June. One is my .405 Win and the other my late dads .284 Win. With the loads I have for both there is scarce little difference between the book and the clock.

arizonajake

AH senior member
Reaction score
I just started reloading the .375 H&H and i landed a box of 300gr Hornady BT SP bullets and some used brass along with 1/4 pound of H4895 powder. i have a copy of hornady's 4th edition reloading manual and i just purchased a new copy of hornady's 9th edition manual from cabelas.

the point of this thread is i just noticed a major different between the loads in these books regarding H4895 powder with a 300gr bullet. here are the loads:

4th edition: (min) 63.2gr = 2300fps, 66.2gr = 2400fps, 69.2gr = 2500fps, 70.6gr = 2550fps (max)

9th edition: (min) 53.2gr = 2100fps, 56.6gr = 2200fps, 60gr = 2300fps, 63.4gr = 2400, 66.8gr = 2500 (max)

now im curious why there is such a huge difference between the loads? i know the 4th edition is old but has H4895 changed that much? thoughts?

to play it on the safe side ill be following the 9th edition for reloading Hornady bullets for now on.

thanks
-matt
I suspect somewhere, somehow, you can thank a lawyer for that.

Hogpatrol

Silver supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA,
Hunted
RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
All of the above and they may have used different test barrels.

bruce moulds

AH legend
Reaction score
given that the 4350s give more velocity at less pressure to 300 gn 375 bullets, does it really matter what happens with 4895?
bruce.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LamontRtb

Latest profile posts

degoins wrote on Treemantwo's profile.
I have a like new VC .450 I might part with. I had it built in 2013 and it has served me well. Also have a VC fitted leather trunk case for it along with the plastic case it came with. I'll take 14000 for all of it.
Matt W wrote on Jody's profile.
Hi Jody,
I have been looking for ideas on the best way to display my European mounts from Africa. I came across some of your shield work and was wondering if you would be willing to make one for me? If so, please let me know the cost. I like the shield with the two spears that you built for a member years ago. Thanks.
cal pappas wrote on Mnelson2's profile.
Nelson. Is this message a PM format. I want to send you my email, but don't know if this is the cirrect way to do it. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net> Send me an email with your phone and I will call you about a skull I have. I went to school in Boston and am from Bernardston in the west part of the state. Moved to Alaska in 1984 adn never looked back.
BeeMaa wrote on Justbryan's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. He was a pleasure to do business with.
BeeMaa wrote on 375Fox's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. Was a pleasure to do business with.