Magnum rifle primers

Rare Breed

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Curious what people’s thoughts on when primers will be available. I have been able though hard to buy all reloading components except magnum rifle primers. Thoughts?

mdwest

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
DSC Life Member, NRA Life Member
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Argentina, Peru
last run on ammo and reloading supplies took almost 2 years before supply chains fully caught back up..

my best guess is this one will take longer..

I think things will get a little better before the end of the year.. but.. it will be far from "good".. availability is still going to be a major issue.. and there will still be inflated prices all the way through 2021.. and I'd guess all the way through 2022 also..

Uncle Sauce

Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
GOA, RMGO, FRGC, SCI, DSC
Hunted
US: CO, ID, MT, NY, OR, VA, WA, WY
I agree with Dave above - my guess is deep into 2022.

Almost seems like these shortages seem to last longer each time we have one. But this one feels like we have the perfect storm conditions to keep going...I hope I'm wrong though!

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
We’re about two hours apart. How many do you need?

C.W. Richter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
PA SCI, Various Endless Mtns., PA Region Clubs
Hunted
Zimbabwe 2x, Namibia 2x, RSA 2x, USA, Canada
I buy in bulk so have never had a problem during any of these scares... By a thousand primers and the 8 lb container two boxes of bullets every time in the end you'll have more time to hunt and less to worry about.

C.W. Richter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
I find anytime I make a recommendation online for where to find something we can no longer get that something.

HuntingGold

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
South Africa, United States (Oregon, Washington, Idaho, California and Wyoming)
Horse Trading and keeping a hard eye on things is where it is at now. I believe we had Magnum primers for about an hour last week. I was only allowed one brick and went for the small rifle which is what I needed. At least they showed up!
The down side is if I find primers for you... how do I get them to you? Argh

Trogon

Silver supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI, DU, RGS/AWS, NRA
Hunted
KY, OH, IN, WI, AL, KS, ND, TX
I agree with Dave above - my guess is deep into 2022.

Almost seems like these shortages seem to last longer each time we have one. But this one feels like we have the perfect storm conditions to keep going...I hope I'm wrong though!
Your guess mirrors where I think we're going. What I remember: 2007-2008 seems like rimfire ammo was still available, reloading supplies as well. Pistol and centerfire rifle disappeared (especially 9mm and 5.56/.223). Continued on into 2012 election and then Sandy Hook. Seems like everything disappeared but came back eventually.
2016-Another big run on everything but seemed to calm down quicker (except for .22 rimfire hoarding).
2020 is the worst I've seen BUT I have no idea how it was in the Clinton era (young family then, money was tight).
I also think the rise of social media has made it easier for people to connect and sell ammo and components much easier to larger audiences, command higher prices. This also seems to be the case with bourbon, unfortunately.
I wish everyone the best of luck.

Trogon

Silver supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI, DU, RGS/AWS, NRA
Hunted
I'd be happy to trade a couple bricks of Small rifle or Large pistol primers for large rifle magnum and/or 209 primers to someone on this forum if our paths crossed. I do travel for work. Next week is Kansas City, KS followed by Madison,WI on the weekend. Live in Cincinnati, OH.

Trogon

Silver supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI, DU, RGS/AWS, NRA
Hunted
Curious what people’s thoughts on when primers will be available. I have been able though hard to buy all reloading components except magnum rifle primers. Thoughts?
@Rare Breed , I apologize for dropping my trade offer in your thread. That should have gone elsewhere.

Rare Breed

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
We’re about two hours apart. How many do you need?
You are a true prince and a gentleman! I am good right now with what I have. Just know probably later in year I may want to restock. I don’t want to take any primers away from anyone with an immediate need. Thanks so much!!!

Rare Breed

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I just bit the bullet sorry for the pun and bought 1,000 large rifle magnum primers for $300 on gun broker. crazy! However, with planned heavy reloading coming up to get ready for my Africa trip I am super comfortable I have everything I need to practice away.

Mike Van Horn

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
I got a brick of 209 primers yesterday. Weatherby ammo is showing up around the country. Received a email that Northfork bullets are ready for shipment, waiting for clearance from Sweden. Berger bullets are showing up. Clay load shotgun shells are showing up also
Hopefully these are all good signs

tarbe

Bronze supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life, Handloaders Anonymous
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Zimbabwe
I just bit the bullet sorry for the pun and bought 1,000 large rifle magnum primers for $300 on gun broker. crazy! However, with planned heavy reloading coming up to get ready for my Africa trip I am super comfortable I have everything I need to practice away.

Holy cow! Sorry you had to resort to GB.

I hope no one in Houston pays $300 for 1K LR mag primers. Or even half that! ;)

krish

Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
@tarbe You cant use all that 100k primars. Sell some for 2 or 250. It is like trading stocks. Every body does it. People or not prepared that is not your issue. People bought microsoft, google, exetra stocks. They have and are making money. That is life and smart investment. What you have did not take away from anybodies purchase. It is what it is.
Krish

tarbe

Bronze supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life, Handloaders Anonymous
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Zimbabwe
@tarbe You cant use all that 100k primars. Sell some for 2 or 250. It is like trading stocks. Every body does it. People or not prepared that is not your issue. People bought microsoft, google, exetra stocks. They have and are making money. That is life and smart investment. What you have did not take away from anybodies purchase. It is what it is.
Krish
I find I need to put at least 50k in the bathtub, for when I want to take a primer bath! :)

Sorry, I have been hanging around @Bullthrower338 too long. I am starting to think like him. eeeek!

My wife is putting the brakes on my primer selling. She told me today "NO MORE". I told her I would still help friends in need. She was ok with that.

A good wife is a gift from God!

krish

Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Well I have about 15k for my use I bought over time one here and there. Have about 5 or 6k brass primed. Enough ammo for some time to come in all my calibers. I normaly buy about 500 pieces of brass per caliber. If I have more than one rifle in that caliber, then at least 200 pieces for each rifle. OH bullets for reloading I am very well stocked in all calibers. That is many years of collecting. THAT IS NOT HORDING. THAT IS NOT PLANNING. DID NOT TAKE AWAY FROM ANY BODY. IF I SELL FOR SOME GOOD PRICE IT IS UP TO ME. YES I BOUGHT GOLD FOR $250.00 years ago for an OZ. (1975). What should I give it away for so some body wont call me horder.
WOW WOW WOW.

FREE ENTERPRISE. NOT LIBERAL.CAPITALISM.

Last edited:

deewayne2003

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
"FREE ENTERPRISE. NOT LIBERAL.CAPITALISM"

I agree with you krish - the part that gets to me are the people collecting unemployment + the coivd bonus payments and then drive around town while the rest of us are working and snatch up components and ammo only to turn around and sell on GB.

The other side of the coin is people who HOARD HOARD HOARD during panics with no intention of using what they are hoarding; I remember telling a doctor buddy of mine that if he wanted to buy an AR or anything exotic he needed to do it before the 2008 elections..."eh I don't need any of those!"

One week after the election he calls me up - "I want to buy 4 AR's, one for me and each of my sons!"

Which he did.... and loaded up on wolf Ammo @$1ea - All of it still sitting in his safe to this day.

C.W. Richter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
I find anytime I make a recommendation online for where to find something we can no longer get that something.
perhaps this post was a good omen?? The woman 'found a box of 1,000 LMR primers (tucked away in a kitchen cabinet) while spring cleaning yesterday! I used to store reloading components there prior to her "intrusion." She may have assumed the lil blue box to be some sort of seasoning?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuellaMccr

Latest profile posts

degoins wrote on Treemantwo's profile.
I have a like new VC .450 I might part with. I had it built in 2013 and it has served me well. Also have a VC fitted leather trunk case for it along with the plastic case it came with. I'll take 14000 for all of it.
Matt W wrote on Jody's profile.
Hi Jody,
I have been looking for ideas on the best way to display my European mounts from Africa. I came across some of your shield work and was wondering if you would be willing to make one for me? If so, please let me know the cost. I like the shield with the two spears that you built for a member years ago. Thanks.
cal pappas wrote on Mnelson2's profile.
Nelson. Is this message a PM format. I want to send you my email, but don't know if this is the cirrect way to do it. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net> Send me an email with your phone and I will call you about a skull I have. I went to school in Boston and am from Bernardston in the west part of the state. Moved to Alaska in 1984 adn never looked back.
BeeMaa wrote on Justbryan's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. He was a pleasure to do business with.
BeeMaa wrote on 375Fox's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. Was a pleasure to do business with.