Macnab...

One of our Carruthers members got the Scottish Macnab in 2023, being a red stag, a salmon on fly and a brace of grouse, all in 24 hrs.
We also have an air rifle version being a francolin, a bass and a hare all in 24 hours. This is called the Golden Macnab, and even that is hard to do . Two of us have this Golden version. Up from that is Diamond, being a guineafowl, a hare and a tigerfish in 24 hours, again the shooting part with an air rifle. None of us has achieved that yet.

On the big game side the Carruthers Big Game Macnab is a buffalo bull, a tiger fish and a guineafowl within 24 hrs. Nobody in our group has come close, but I honestly think that this one is easier than the air rifle version because a buff is easier to find than a hare.
You need to train some "hare dogs". Should be as easy as training them to find downed PG.
 
Humorous definitions:

A MacNab is to shoot a red stag, a grouse/pheasant, and catch a trout or salmon in the same day. A literalist says you must do so using the feathers and fur from 1+2 to tie your own fly to catch #3.

A Royal MacNab is a thing too, arguing all of the above, but poached without getting caught by the gamekeeper AND sleeping with the maiden of the manor as well.

The Brits…you can’t make this stuff up!

Not to be a pedant...

The history of the Macnab is an interesting one. It was devised by John Buchan the famous writer in his book 'John Macnab"... where it consists of sending a letter of intent to the estate owner(s) that you will poach a salmon and two stags in a certain day... provoking a hunt of the hunter if you will. It is a classic for good reason, and I would recommend it highly to anyone.

This has evolved into what we have in Scotland today, which is an Atlantic salmon (on the fly), a brace of red grouse and a red stag. While there is discussion amongst those of us who practice these things on whether it is within one day (sun up to sun down) or a 24 hour period, I would say that a trout is never on the cards - they are too easy to catch! Poaching is no longer a part of the thing... perhaps sadly!

I am delighted that you mention the royal version, which is rarely heard of; but as you say is the same as the above, I've heard that you must sleep with the lodge cook, not the laird's wife though...

In my experience these things are the most fun when they are organic and not seen as a 'challenge' to be set upon with intent. If you catch a salmon before breakfast, what fun it is to take to the hill for a stag with a shotgun carried as well, and if the stag is shot... look for some grouse.

In recent years there seems to be an increased idea (predominately from our cousins across the pond) that it's a great challenge to be beaten. My own feeling, as one who has guided both types of event, is that this sullies the individual parts in the pursuit of a sum that doesn't matter. Sadly I have seen in some places this leading to stags otherwise far too young to be culled as part of a sporting management plan being shot. All this, I feel, would run surely against the characters in that most excellent novel.

Sam
 
Not to be a pedant...

The history of the Macnab is an interesting one. It was devised by John Buchan the famous writer in his book 'John Macnab"... where it consists of sending a letter of intent to the estate owner(s) that you will poach a salmon and two stags in a certain day... provoking a hunt of the hunter if you will. It is a classic for good reason, and I would recommend it highly to anyone.

This has evolved into what we have in Scotland today, which is an Atlantic salmon (on the fly), a brace of red grouse and a red stag. While there is discussion amongst those of us who practice these things on whether it is within one day (sun up to sun down) or a 24 hour period, I would say that a trout is never on the cards - they are too easy to catch! Poaching is no longer a part of the thing... perhaps sadly!

I am delighted that you mention the royal version, which is rarely heard of; but as you say is the same as the above, I've heard that you must sleep with the lodge cook, not the laird's wife though...

In my experience these things are the most fun when they are organic and not seen as a 'challenge' to be set upon with intent. If you catch a salmon before breakfast, what fun it is to take to the hill for a stag with a shotgun carried as well, and if the stag is shot... look for some grouse.

In recent years there seems to be an increased idea (predominately from our cousins across the pond) that it's a great challenge to be beaten. My own feeling, as one who has guided both types of event, is that this sullies the individual parts in the pursuit of a sum that doesn't matter. Sadly I have seen in some places this leading to stags otherwise far too young to be culled as part of a sporting management plan being shot. All this, I feel, would run surely against the characters in that most excellent novel.

Sam
Sam,

That last paragraph of yours is unfortunately true. The challenge has become the goal over all else. You see the idea of completing the sheep slam, big 5, tiny ten and cottontail cache (ok I made up the rabbit one) more about being able to say "I've completed this list" instead of having the adventure and experience of having hunted.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,325
Messages
1,573,096
Members
169,698
Latest member
EZLFaustin
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top