Machinists - What would it take to CNC Bottom Metal?

Aaron N

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada, South Africa
As an electrician with no clue what CNC machining entails, tell me what it would take to have Mauser bottom metal machined for a billet? It looks like Swift is still selling it, but is it even remotely possible to get someone there CAD file?

I’m sure if a member had the skill set, there would be quite a demand from this site alone.

Am I crazy for even thinking this?

Attachments

• Mauser 98 LA Bottom Metal - Blued Steel - Pacific Tool and Gauge.pdf
    137.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Mauser Performance - Pacific Tool and Gauge.pdf
    194.4 KB · Views: 43
A little better pricing than swift! But I’m still curious about what it would take

I would warn anybody to be careful about doing business with PTG. Do your homework, plenty of info out there.

I have only one purchase from PTG. A bottom metal for a M70. I was very pleased. I will do more research before any further purchases.

I have only one purchase from PTG. A bottom metal for a M70. I was very pleased. I will do more research before any further purchases.
I just ordered one this morning, we will see how it plays out. Was thinking of getting three safeties as well

I would warn anybody to be careful about doing business with PTG. Do your homework, plenty of info out there.
Dave Kiff/PTG were great to deal with for many years. I think they got too big too fast and really killed their customer support.

You mean like ordering a custom reamer, which was allegedly in stock? approving their drawing, waiting six months for it to arrive only to find they made a mistake which they deny, then blame you for and when they finally acknowledge their mistake, wait another six months for a new reamer, nearly twenty months all up.....that sort of thing....
all of which is a shame as they were a good company once, all my reamers are now Manson or clymer ( with a few odd customs)
gumpy

You mean like ordering a custom reamer, which was allegedly in stock? approving their drawing, waiting six months for it to arrive only to find they made a mistake which they deny, then blame you for and when they finally acknowledge their mistake, wait another six months for a new reamer, nearly twenty months all up.....that sort of thing....
all of which is a shame as they were a good company once, all my reamers are now Manson or clymer ( with a few odd customs)
gumpy
Well I ordered Mauser bottom metal a week and a half ago, and it sounds like it’s in the mail tomorrow. So it seems to have gone smoothly

Those look pretty straightforward. It wouldn’t be difficult to make a CAD model and machine them.

Well I ordered Mauser bottom metal a week and a half ago, and it sounds like it’s in the mail tomorrow. So it seems to have gone smoothly
Hopefully everything will go smoothly for you and you’ll get your order in a timely manner, part of the issue I described could be I’m on the other side of the world and they just didn’t care, out of sight, out of mind type thing.
gumpy

If one has good CAD/CAM-files, Machine hours.

I have seen it done on a manual mill and was happy I wasn't paying!
My friend has a Deckel copy mill that he used to make different bottom metals for mausers, p14/17 Enfields etc, the trigger guard is a separate part to the mag well frame and when soldered together the joint is hardly visible and once in the stock is not visible at all, these were for big bores 505’s etc in flat bottom plate or perch belly style. He stopped doing it as no one wanted to pay for his time, which even back then was still cheaper than importing one.
gumpy

No one wants to pay anymore, man is destroyed by cheap mass-produced goods.
And expect their cheap mass-produced gun or whatever it is to last forever, increase in value; and they expect the poor bastard that sold it to them to treat them as royalty when it breaks....

well, a steady supply of customers helps:)
Unlike many years ago, with the CAD today, the drawing, toolpath generation and posting to the CNC, is just work. If you screw up, just re-fresh and start drawing again.

The most labor is in the fixturing and the final filing and polishing. as this is done by hand.

I recently spoke with a gentleman in this business and offered to get support for the machining work, and he said, "that is the easy part", it was dealing with the customers, that was the hard part!

As an example, below are few pics of a scalable floorplate for CZ 550 magnum action. If done with forethought, can deepen by just changing 1 parameter, the depth.

fp00czmag_round1.jpg

fp00czmag_round1_deep.jpg

the sketch drawing

fp00czmag_round2.jpg

and the CAD programming file
parameters.jpg

hope this sheds some light...
Steve

You need volume to make money...
You’re right, but if one already had the machine and the cad program, they would be set up already, and could take bottom metal orders for fun money.

Imagine offering a yearly run to members here, I’m sure there would be enough interest to make it worth while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TrinidadOg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.